This road trip is going to be disastrous

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Post by Tintin »

I’m more worried about them beating themselves.

The poor management fromWednesday will effect players. They feel hung out.

They got caught with generally malaise last night got away with three errors tonight.

I’m amazed that this team is over .500 with the injuries we’ve suffered. If we can hang another ten games and get some guys right, we’ll be tough to beat.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

212D24293E62382521233824357E7C0C2B214C0 wrote: What's weird is that entire run differential can be accounted for *almost* by just three games. The 10-0 Cubs game with Newman's multiple errors in one inning, the 14-run drubbing in the first A's game, and last night's 17-run beatdown vs. the Cardinals.

Very true. They have been outscored 41-5 in those 3 games which would put them at a -36 run differential, with only a -4 run differential in the other 32 games they have played. So I guess it’s fair to say with some merit that perhaps this stat is a bit deceiving and the Pirates run differential really is not as bad as it looks right now at -40 after tonight’s win.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

05223337322F10243332322F560 wrote: What's weird is that entire run differential can be accounted for *almost* by just three games. The 10-0 Cubs game with Newman's multiple errors in one inning, the 14-run drubbing in the first A's game, and last night's 17-run beatdown vs. the Cardinals.

Very true. They have been outscored 41-5 in those 3 games which would put them at a -36 run differential, with only a -4 run differential in the other 32 games they have played. So I guess it’s fair to say with some merit that perhaps this stat is a bit deceiving and the Pirates run differential really is not as bad as it looks right now at -40 after tonight’s win.

Run differential is effected by what offenses you played against, which pitchers you faced, who is hot and who is cold. I don't think it's a good indicator of future results.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

714C4B514C4B250 wrote: I’m more worried about them beating themselves. 

The poor management fromWednesday will effect players.  They feel hung out. 

They got caught with generally malaise last night got away with three errors tonight. 

I’m amazed that this team is over .500 with the injuries we’ve suffered.  If we can hang another ten games and get some guys right, we’ll be tough to beat.

Yeah, I tend to feel the same. A LOT of bad luck has rained on this team. I agree the FO willingly goes into another season with little room for error. But I still feel this could have been a very good team with just a bit of good luck for a change, and may still be if they can manage to tread water for a while.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

113C31202736216162530 wrote: What's weird is that entire run differential can be accounted for *almost* by just three games. The 10-0 Cubs game with Newman's multiple errors in one inning, the 14-run drubbing in the first A's game, and last night's 17-run beatdown vs. the Cardinals.

Run differential is effected by what offenses you played against, which pitchers you faced, who is hot and who is cold. I don't think it's a good indicator of future results.

I look at it as one of the stats that show something at the end of the year, maybe every quarter. It is hard to finish more than a few games over 500 if you give up more runs than you score.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

The funny thing is, I was scared of the Cards. In reality, they are as crappy as us.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates are now 7-6 through 13 games of this stretch of playing 16 of 21 games on the road. Despite all the frustration and injuries that seem to occur on a daily basis this team somehow someway continues to pick themselves up after tough losses and tough stretches and is finding ways to win games.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

Unlike a lot of you, I will be the first to say I’m wrong.

I thought they would melt down after the blown managerial calls on Wednesday that the team would melt down.

While they did on Thursday, they came back and demoralized the Cards this weekend in their home field.

I do think this team is really good, but the injuries and depth have made me doubt them, but the new guys have been fantastic. Despite the debacle on Wednesday, the front office has been decent scouting the new guys.

We still might lose the next seven road games, and I still think a starter needs to be brought up for Tuesday so everyone gets an extra day off, but I do think that these guys healthy are as good as anyone in our division.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

704D4A504D4A240 wrote: Unlike a lot of you, I will be the first to say I’m wrong.

I thought they would melt down after the blown managerial calls on Wednesday that the team would melt down.

While they did on Thursday, they came back and demoralized the Cards this weekend in their home field.

I do think this team is really good, but the injuries and depth have made me doubt them, but the new guys have been fantastic.  Despite the debacle on Wednesday, the front office has been decent scouting the new guys.

We still might lose the next seven road games, and I still think a starter needs to be brought up for Tuesday so everyone gets an extra day off, but I do think that these guys healthy are as good as anyone in our division.

nice post, I think you should make more predictions!
PMike

Post by PMike »

I think these last couple games have made it clear that the poor baseball that the Pirates often play is not unique to the Pirates. Everyone lauds the Cards as being model organization. They played a lot of bad baseball over these couple days.

For example, the Cards couldn't score late with runners on first and third with no one out. Their bullpen imploded yesterday with a lead. This board would be going nuts on the Pirates if the roles were reversed. I think this sort of baseball is the norm across MLB.