Official Game Thread - 615 - Shelty's Stooges @ The Nats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

342F22232A2629470 wrote: Shedman

I believe you are off-base on BC. 

His trades have resulted in bringing new talent into the organization.

Unfortunately, ownership provides him a budget that is the equivalent of the amount I earned at a job when I was a teenager; $1,00/hour for 4 hours a week (1 hour per day).

BC, like any GM, would obviously like to sign better free agents than Anderson or Cahill and to endlessly need to scrounge through the waiver wire for any potential morsels of talent, but hey, what can you do when you have a payroll in the range of $40 mil and there is an unproductive player on the team who is pulling down $13 mil or so.

That said, my opinion of BC will waiver if he fails to dump Shelton and most of the coaching staff at the end of this season. 
_______

MaineBucs,

Respectfully, I disagree.  I haven't seen any "talent" added to the system(in fact, Cherington has been busy salary dumping what little talent we had).  Rather what I see is an endless stream of LMG's who can't hit major league pitching, while we all complain about Polanco and Shelton.  In Cherington's 1st year, we had the worst record in all of baseball while he was "seeing what he has".  In his 2nd year, there  are only 2 teams in all of baseball with a worse record. I don't think he has any idea what he is doing and getting rid of Shelton and Polanco won't result in any improvement.  I don't think Shelton is a very good Manager, but no Manager could win with the team that Cherington puts on the field.  He appears to me to be the very definition of an imbecile.

Hey shedman I am sick of this game and I am also getting tired and sick of your "respectfully" disagreeing with someone when all you have to offer is the same old BS about salary dumping BC. If you had any smarts Nutting would hire you and let you do the job if you worked for $1 per year. Hey, even that is too much for your expertise.
shedman

Post by shedman »

03222A032820470 wrote: Shedman

Unfortunately, ownership provides him a budget that is the equivalent of the amount I earned at a job when I was a teenager; $1,00/hour for 4 hours a week (1 hour per day).

BC, like any GM, would obviously like to sign better free agents than Anderson or Cahill and to endlessly need to scrounge through the waiver wire for any potential morsels of talent, but hey, what can you do when you have a payroll in the range of $40 mil and there is an unproductive player on the team who is pulling down $13 mil or so.

That said, my opinion of BC will waiver if he fails to dump Shelton and most of the coaching staff at the end of this season. 
_______

MaineBucs,

Respectfully, I disagree.  I haven't seen any "talent" added to the system(in fact, Cherington has been busy salary dumping what little talent we had).  Rather what I see is an endless stream of LMG's who can't hit major league pitching, while we all complain about Polanco and Shelton.  In Cherington's 1st year, we had the worst record in all of baseball while he was "seeing what he has".  In his 2nd year, there  are only 2 teams in all of baseball with a worse record. I don't think he has any idea what he is doing and getting rid of Shelton and Polanco won't result in any improvement.  I don't think Shelton is a very good Manager, but no Manager could win with the team that Cherington puts on the field.  He appears to me to be the very definition of an imbecile.

Hey shedman I am sick of this game and I am also getting tired and sick of your "respectfully" disagreeing with someone when all you have to offer is the same old BS about salary dumping BC.  If you had any smarts Nutting would hire you and let you do the job if you worked for $1 per year.  Hey, even that is too much for your expertise.

_________

I am also sick and tired hearing about all the same old BS about all the talent Cherington has added when he has done absolutely nothing.  I will admit that I have no expertise, but even I could do a better job than this imbecile Cherington.
shedman

Post by shedman »

OK Reynolds, let's get a rally started.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Polanco does his trademark move of running to the wall for a ball over his head so that the ricochet off the wall goes over his head and he chases it back toward the infield. Triple.

In his last 13 games at Indy, Alford is hitting .385 (15 for 39) with 4 HRs.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1C30383F3413243222510 wrote: Shedman

I love the trades BC has engineered to infuse the talent into this organization that is didn't have. The sneaky deal that I really like was moving Lucchessi onto the Mets for Rodriguez. I don't blame him for the trash collected off the waiver wire or the free agent pool. That is a byproduct of the owner, not BC.

I will start losing faith in BC when he moves forward with drafting a ridiculous high school shortstop first overall. Our starting pitching is attrocious and the only way the Pirates get an ace is draft one. Leiter should be the pick and if not, the catcher from Louisville, Davis.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

So I’m listening to the Fan today and the talk is that the Pirates do a very poor job with trades by selling low. I agree.

Then the tell us that the Pirates need to trade both Frazier and Reynolds because they are playing above their abilities. I disagree:

I don’t see either player bringing back anyone that will produce better than those two guys. Why trade anyone if it’s likely the best any return will fail to even match the player traded? There is so little on this Roster, no trade really makes sense.

I don’t see a way forward in trading players that don’t provide anything. Josh Bell brought nothing. Too many Pirates bring nothing.

I think you have to try to build with players like Frazier and Reynolds. It’s pointless to trade them.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7D7A6C646A7D3A364F68626E6663216C60620F0 wrote: So I’m listening to the Fan today and the talk is that the Pirates do a very poor job with trades by selling low.  I agree.

Then the tell us that the Pirates need to trade both Frazier and Reynolds because they are playing above their abilities.  I disagree:

I don’t see either player bringing back anyone that will produce better than those two guys.  Why trade anyone if it’s likely the best any return will fail to even match the player traded?  There is so little on this Roster, no trade really makes sense. 

I don’t see a way forward in trading players that don’t provide anything.  Josh Bell brought nothing.  Too many Pirates bring nothing. 

I think you have to try to build with players like Frazier and Reynolds.  It’s pointless to trade them.   

Taillon was never going to remain healthy. You sold low, but got a ton back. I love the influx of talent from that deal alone. I like the Musgrove deal too. We sold low on Bell, without question. NH should have dealt his ass after the all-star season. He is a liability at first and inconsistent with the bat.

Adam Frazier isn't a building block here in Pittsburgh. He is playing above his resume and its time to maximize it instead of trade/sell low. Same with Rich Rod. Reynolds is a building block and I don't see him being moved at all. Need to stop thinking of Frazier like a Biggio type, a core player. He isn't. He will be 30 in December.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

68737E7F767A751B0 wrote: Shedman

_______

MaineBucs,

Hey shedman I am sick of this game and I am also getting tired and sick of your "respectfully" disagreeing with someone when all you have to offer is the same old BS about salary dumping BC.  If you had any smarts Nutting would hire you and let you do the job if you worked for $1 per year.  Hey, even that is too much for your expertise.

_________

I am also sick and tired hearing about all the same old BS about all the talent Cherington has added when he has done absolutely nothing.  I will admit that I have no expertise, but even I could do a better job than this imbecile Cherington.

I agree on Shelton. Worst Manager since Russell the brain dead zombie. Totally disagree on BC. You need to follow some of the minor leaguers he has acquired. The Musgrove trade is looking good. We have seen Bednar, Endy Rodriguez may solve our catching situation, the lefty Cruz is putting up good numbers. In the Taillon trade to the Yanks BC may have acquired the Minor League pitcher of the year in Roancy Contreras. He is putting up incredible numbers for Altoona. Maikol Escotto a throw in in the deal is putting up good numbers in Bradenton. His draft in 2020 was excellent. In the last year the Pirates farm system has moved from 16th to 7th. I would call that successful.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Until they give us more wins for our minor league clubs, it doesn't mean much to us, particularly while we're knee deep in a losing streak and among the worst clubs in the game. 

We don't know whose suspects will succeed at the MLB level, nor do we know the busts.  We do know that two of our young guys didn't even know what to do with first base, and one's already gone.

For 2021, I think the results speak for themselves.  I don't see how there can be an argument other than to say, "we're not the Diamondbacks."  So, there is that.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1F2A3D3D360F3D3D36313D580 wrote: Until they give us more wins for our minor league clubs, it doesn't mean much to us, particularly while we're knee deep in a losing streak and among the worst clubs in the game. 

We don't know whose suspects will succeed at the MLB level, nor do we know the busts.  We do know that two of our young guys didn't even know what to do with first base, and one's already gone.

For 2021, I think the results speak for themselves.  I don't see how there can be an argument other than to say, "we're not the Diamondbacks."  So, there is that.

The thing is, its going to be for 2022 as well. Say Frazier is dealt along with RichRod ... you have two more voids to fill. We have a closer waiting, but ... what gets better next year? Our rotation will still be a mess. Instead of Ty Anderson and Cahill its some other retreads. Maybe Yajure takes a spot, but ... Brubaker, Kuhl, Brault, Keller, Yajure, Crowe .... not great. You have to hope Contreras, Priester and ... develop quickly. We will have the same free agent pull and no really prospects ready to make the move up to make a positive impact.