Starting pitching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Starting pitching

Post by Aaron »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: In Williams last 13 starts he had a 1.29 ERA. Obviously unsustainable. His peripheral stats for the entire season suggest he wasn’t as productive. Maybe he’s a #2. I doubt it.
Somebody has to fill that slot. I agree with you that Archer hasn't pitched that way in several years. Williams was one of the NL's best last year. We'll just have to wait and see if that's sustainable. But I'd rather have a very effective pitcher on the field whose peripherals are suspect than an ineffective pitcher. I think we're all curious as to how well Williams can do this year after that surprisingly good season last year.

Obviously someone is going to fill the #2 slot in the rotation. Doesn’t mean they deserve to be called a true #3 quality starter. I think people are a tad overly optimistic about a rotation that was essentially average last year. Nothing wrong with being average but when the offense is also average, going to be difficult to make the playoffs.
SCBucco

Starting pitching

Post by SCBucco »

Williams is more of a question mark to me than Archer. Is Williams' 2018 sustainable? If it is, the Pirates shouldn't have a question 1-4 in the rotation. I expect Archer to rebound. However, this rotation is one injury away from a major problem. Our five is going to stink. Lose another, two will stink. We don't have any good options and the Pirates needed to bring in another quality arm in the offseason. They simply didn't care to. This is where Wade Miley would have made sense.
notes34

Starting pitching

Post by notes34 »

303931202E540 wrote: I wonder if the White Sox would trade Ivan Nova for DSL player Yordi Rosario and international slot money?

Just sign Gio Gonzalez push Brault Kingham and Lyles into depth roles (or off the team, in braults case.  And call it a rotation
It really is that simple. He should be able to be signed quick and cheap.
dmetz

Starting pitching

Post by dmetz »

7D7C6776602027130 wrote: I wonder if the White Sox would trade Ivan Nova for DSL player Yordi Rosario and international slot money?

Just sign Gio Gonzalez push Brault Kingham and Lyles into depth roles (or off the team, in braults case.  And call it a rotation

True, but as we all know: cheap for the Pirates, and cheap for everyone else in MLB not requiring a 40-50 million dollar profit every year are different.    

We aren't even connected to Gio in the rumor mill, but really, why would we be? 

1)We don't play in a park that helps LHP. 

2)We have plenty of LHSP already in our rotation and..

3)We have quite a bit of quality young LHSP talent in the system coming through the minors.

There's just not a lot of good reasons to be chasing after a free agent ML LHSP who would be a very good #5 in any rotation. 
IABucFan

Starting pitching

Post by IABucFan »

060F071618620 wrote: I wonder if the White Sox would trade Ivan Nova for DSL player Yordi Rosario and international slot money?

True, but as we all know:  cheap for the Pirates, and cheap for everyone else in MLB not requiring a 40-50 million dollar profit every year are different.    

We aren't even connected to Gio in the rumor mill, but really, why would we be? 

1)We don't play in a park that helps LHP. 

2)We have plenty of LHSP already in our rotation and..

3)We have quite a bit of quality young LHSP talent in the system coming through the minors.

There's just not a lot of good reasons to be chasing after a free agent ML LHSP who would be a very good #5 in any rotation. 

This made me laugh. You have a great sense of humor. #signkeuchel
SammyKhalifa

Starting pitching

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Kingham with 0.00 WHIP and 3K through 3.