Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

476A67767160773734050 wrote: It might actually make the organization have to sign relevant players that are good for the major leagues.
Gayo signed Marte, Polanco, Osuna, Diaz and Edgar Santana.

Does that represent a productive career? Honest question. How many major league players should a good Latin system generate? Marte, Polanco and Diaz have all been in the Pirates' system a long time. I'm not following the lower minors much, but I've heard next to nothing about prospects within the last few years.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6A474A5B5C4D5A1A19280 wrote: I'm not shedding tears over his loss.  I soured on him after the whole Sano mess.
Have to wonder why that didn't sour Bucs on him.

Something happened with Sano.  It was personal in my opinion.  I still blame Sano's agent more as he didn't look out for the best interest for his client if the Pirates really did offer more money.  But who really knows.  Connecting with the family seems to be the most important aspect of those negotiations.  Didn't Sano's agent have some ties with the Twins?  Or get more money himself.  It was shady, what ever happened. 

There are numerous stories about this on the internet if you google them. Basically, there was some question as to Sano's real age. Gayo told the family that other teams were concerned that he was not as young as he said and that it would reduce their offers but that the Pirates were confident of his age and that their 2.6 million offer would be the best. The family grew to distrust Gayo, feeling he was trying to steer them away from hearing other offers. The Twins offered more (3.15 mil) which showed Gayo was not being honest about other teams offering less because of the age question. So Sano took the Twins offer without giving the Pirates a chance to match or exceed it because they resented Gayo for not being honest with them. 

I also thought Sano and his family said they would give the Pirates the opportunity to counter any offer. And the Pirates were willing to go more too.

Good info, thanks.
DemDog

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by DemDog »

6364727A7463242851767C70787D3F727E7C110 wrote: It might actually make the organization have to sign relevant players that are good for the major leagues.

Does that represent a productive career?  Honest question.  How many major league players should a good Latin system generate?  Marte, Polanco and Diaz have all been in the Pirates' system a long time. I'm not following the lower minors much, but I've heard next to nothing about prospects within the last few years.

If you follow PiratesProspects you will find that there is not a whole lot of guys in the lower minors from LA that are expected to contribute mightily to the near future of the Buccos.
Buccos1313

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by Buccos1313 »

It’s time to get Roberto Clemente Jr. onboard and head the Latin America program.
SammyKhalifa

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

24050D240F07600 wrote: It might actually make the organization have to sign relevant players that are good for the major leagues.

Does that represent a productive career?  Honest question.  How many major league players should a good Latin system generate?  Marte, Polanco and Diaz have all been in the Pirates' system a long time. I'm not following the lower minors much, but I've heard next to nothing about prospects within the last few years.

If you follow PiratesProspects you will find that there is not a whole lot of guys in the lower minors from LA that are expected to contribute mightily to the near future of the Buccos.

I'm not convinced anyone knows how most young LA players down there are going to pan out.
johnfluharty

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by johnfluharty »

No one knows for sure what kind of player a 16 or 17 year old kid is going to be when he is 23.
SammyKhalifa

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

727770767E746D70796A6C61180 wrote: No one knows for sure what kind of player a 16 or 17 year old kid is going to be when he is 23.

but especially (I'd imagine) when they're down in latin america somewhere, maybe playing with a stick and a ball made out of masking tape in a lot somewhere when they're signed.  maybe i'm stereotyping a bit too much there but I don't think so. 

US draft prospects likely have a lot more eyes on them in a much more controlled environment.
IABucFan

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by IABucFan »

I did some mission work in the Dominican Republic in June, and met a young man who had been scouted by the Blue Jays. I played catch with him for about fifteen minutes. Great arm. But, the story I heard was that he couldn't sign because of some legal issues outside of his control (he was an orphan, and had no legal identity or something). Point being...it's a very different world down there.
INbuc

Gayo Dismissed By Bucs

Post by INbuc »

6F4E466F444C2B0 wrote: It might actually make the organization have to sign relevant players that are good for the major leagues.

Baseball America released the top 10 prospects for both the Bucs and the Cubs the past two days. Two of 10 Bucs were from Latin America, while six of 10 Cubs were from LA. For all I all know they may not have any more From LA in the rest of their top 50, but 6 of 10 is a pretty strong concentration at the top.