MLB Atlantic League Rules Experiments

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

The problem is that this is a shift in marketing strategy to market the game to fans who don't have a deep interest in the game and just prefer it ends ASAP.

I think they're lying when they tie the ghost runner to pace or length of game. I think the problem they're really dealing with is the self-inflicted one of not having any long relievers, so every time they play 14 innings they have to swap two relievers with fresh arms from Triple A.

Those same casual fans could just as easily lose interest in baseball. When you ignore your hardcore fans who truly love the game and go for a different audience, it could be a mistake.

I started losing interest in football when the coaches started sending four new new guys on the field on every single play. I don't want to have to turn on a game in the fifth inning and have to figure which, if either, team has burned its DH. Just an unnecessary distraction.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: As much as I love watching baseball I don't watch extra innings now. The ghost runner is not baseball and it's not what I "signed up" for. If the Pirates win in extra innings, they didn't earn it. And if they lose in extra innings, it was a farce anyway. To me the game ends after 9 innings before the rules change.

I realize that if this and other new rules remain in effect, future generations will know no other way of playing the game. It will be entirely normal to them. The problem is that this is a shift in marketing strategy to market the game to fans who don't have a deep interest in the game and just prefer it ends ASAP. Those same casual fans could just as easily lose interest in baseball. When you ignore your hardcore fans who truly love the game and go for a different audience, it could be a mistake.

The runner on second is the absolute worst idea ever. Only one sport was able to cater to the casual fan and succeed, that being the NFL. Every other sport that has catered to the fans that jump on for a short time because it's the new "in" thing (pro wrestling goes through this in cycles) has suffered. NBA, NASCAR, NHL. Once they go down that road, they keep messing more and more with it, wondering what happened when all of a sudden ratings start cratering. When you change the fundamental makeup of the game, you're going to lose a certain segment of fans. You keep doing that every few years, and you lose the ones you gained who liked the first changes. You eventually end up with NASCAR, where no one knows what the heck the rules are anymore.
shedman

Post by shedman »

I can deal with the DH but the 7 inning games and placing runners at 2B are a joke.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

MLB’s release notes that the average fastball velocity has risen from 91.6 mph in 2010 to 93.3 mph in 2021. The league posits that a hitter’s reaction time on a 93.3 mph pitch thrown from 61 feet, six inches is approximately the same as the reaction time on a 91.6 mph pitch thrown from 60 feet, six inches.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

173C3D203B233A162137373B540 wrote: MLB’s release notes that the average fastball velocity has risen from 91.6 mph in 2010 to 93.3 mph in 2021. The league posits that a hitter’s reaction time on a 93.3 mph pitch thrown from 61 feet, six inches is approximately the same as the reaction time on a 91.6 mph pitch thrown from 60 feet, six inches.

it seems like there are more taller pitchers now too so they are a little closer to the plate when they let go of the ball.

I didn't remember that Bob Gibson was listed as 6'1" and 189 pounds, always looked bigger to me.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

210A0B160D150C201701010D620 wrote: MLB’s release notes that the average fastball velocity has risen from 91.6 mph in 2010 to 93.3 mph in 2021. The league posits that a hitter’s reaction time on a 93.3 mph pitch thrown from 61 feet, six inches is approximately the same as the reaction time on a 91.6 mph pitch thrown from 60 feet, six inches.

I mean this in the nicest way possible...so what? Bat speed has gotten faster. Players have gotten faster and stronger.

I saw another league is using bigger bases to encourage more steals. Just stop MLB!!! Keep the game the way it’s always been.

I haven’t watched a single at bat this year, I’m so disgusted with MLB.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Encouraging steals seems counter-intuitive. They want to speed the game. If more people are trying to steal (because it is now easier) won't that result in a lot more pitcher throws to first to attempt a pickoff? I really get tired of seeing those in a game.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

"....won't that result in a lot more pitcher throws to first to attempt a pickoff?"

They're also discussing limiting pickoff attempts.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I have long complained that ML seems to be evolving to home run derby but this is too much --

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/313 ... eer-league
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

2B29333523460 wrote: I have long complained that ML seems to be evolving to home run derby but this is too much --

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/313 ... eer-league

Beer League softball here we come.