general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Rule Changes Could Be Coming

Post by SammyKhalifa »

No to DH

Yes to pitch clock

indifferent on 26 man roster

No to 3 hitter minimum, I'd put the limit on number of pitcher changes per inning instead

Ban the Wave
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

675559594D7F5C55585D5255340 wrote: No to DH

Yes to pitch clock

indifferent on 26 man roster

No to 3 hitter minimum, I'd put the limit on number of pitcher changes per inning instead

Ban the Wave
I detest the DH. But I might consider it in a package that also banned the wave. :)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Rule change that may make you say "Hm!" From USA Today Sports Bob Nightengale.

HERE
TBird

Post by TBird »

Can I also add no pitch count.. Cant stand that idiototic "rule".

No DH

Yes to pitch clock.. Some pitchers take forever to throw a pitch

Keep the batters in the box.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

76604B5046220 wrote: Can I also add no pitch count.. Cant stand that idiototic "rule".

No DH

Yes to pitch clock.. Some pitchers take forever to throw a pitch

Keep the batters in the box.
To my knowledge there has never been a medical study to suggest 100 was the magic number of pitches. It's just a nice round number that is adhered to as if it's the 11th commandment. Every year every manager vows he won't automatically place that limit on his starters and every year every manager does so anyway. That number of pitches usually gets exhausted by the 6th inning. I would like them to use 120 as the standard which would generally get starters thru the 7th. So for games where the starter is effective, the game won't be slowed down by 1 or more pitching changes in or before the 7th.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Looks like some are coming this season with others set to go in effect in 2020. MLB and the MLBPA are also set to look into the FA market and how it has been such a bad two years for players.

See this from MBTRs: Rules Changes Coming

Ken Rosenthal over at the Athletic has a nice piece on the August waiver deadline deals and how taking it away might affect teams. Note: Subscription is Required and very much worth it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't understand why the "position players pitching" rule is even necessary.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Commercial breaks between innings are reduced to two minutes in length for all games. (2019)

A pitcher must face at least three batters in his appearance unless he is removed due to injury or the half-inning in which he is pitching ends before three men have come to the plate. (2020)

These will speed up the game. They'll also reduce revenue. Fewer commercials. Fewer "This pitching change is brought to you by ...."

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: Commercial breaks between innings are reduced to two minutes in length for all games. (2019)

A pitcher must face at least three batters in his appearance unless he is removed due to injury or the half-inning in which he is pitching ends before three men have come to the plate. (2020)

These will speed up the game. They'll also reduce revenue. Fewer commercials.  Fewer "This pitching change is brought to you by ...." 

The local broadcast games's inning breaks are going to 2:00 ALL THE WAY DOWN from 2:05.  What's even the point?

National games are currently at 2:25 which means that there is going to be shorter Yankees/Red Sox to not watch. 

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

72404C4C586A49404D484740210 wrote: Commercial breaks between innings are reduced to two minutes in length for all games. (2019)

These will speed up the game. They'll also reduce revenue. Fewer commercials.  Fewer "This pitching change is brought to you by ...." 

The local broadcast games's inning breaks are going to 2:00 ALL THE WAY DOWN from 2:05.  What's even the point?

National games are currently at 2:25 which means that there is going to be shorter Yankees/Red Sox to not watch. 

Wow, I didn't realize the change was so slight. Why even bother for 10 seconds per inning? Even at 25 seconds (50 per inning) it works out to 7.5 minutes saved.