Nova to Start Today vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

636A62737D070 wrote: Nah. Pitchers take longer to develop.  The young rotation is holding it's own statistically, minus Taillon who is underperforming expectations. This is a rotation that could get better and isn't that terrible even now

The lineup is going to get a shot in the arm when Kang comes back, but trades should remove a few of the top position player performers by the end of next month.

I know what I would do.  And depending on Bell and Moran to anchor the corners of a future infield is not it.   Unless I wanted to just be a so-so offense

I guess. I just don't feel that besides Taillon any of them have that exciting of upsides.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

1E2C20203406252C21242B2C4D0 wrote: Nah. Pitchers take longer to develop.  The young rotation is holding it's own statistically, minus Taillon who is underperforming expectations. This is a rotation that could get better and isn't that terrible even now

The lineup is going to get a shot in the arm when Kang comes back, but trades should remove a few of the top position player performers by the end of next month.

I know what I would do.  And depending on Bell and Moran to anchor the corners of a future infield is not it.   Unless I wanted to just be a so-so offense

I guess.  I just don't feel that besides Taillon any of them have that exciting of upsides. 

I think there are 2 above average starters in the rotation right now.    and 2 legitimate back of the rotation starters.     The current rotation is being killed by poor team defense and still hanging in there.   The exciting Bell and Moran major contributors.  I'm sure they will not be the worst fielders in the NL at their positions as they get older.  They just need time

our 39 wild pitches are really hurting as well, which leads to earned runs.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I like how Huntington called Polanco a “younger” player on his radio show still trying to find his way. News flash Neal Polanco is not a young player anymore he is going to be 27 years old in September. Most good core players are in their prime at that age and not still struggling to find their way as Huntington points out. Don’t know if anybody heard Neal’s radio show yesterday but his comments on Sean Rod and Polanco just to name a few things were just flat out embarrassing and insulting to fans intelligence. This management team is in for a rude awakening with these attendance numbers as well. Because the more this losing keeps up like it has after this recent 6-16 stretch the emptier and emptier PNC Park is gonna be as we go into July and August.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Good thing we have another light hitting 1b on the way in Will Craig. Cant have enough of these types. :-?

Like to see some Osuna . But I dont really think he is all that either.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

446964757263743437060 wrote: If we can just find a way to have a .500 season this year, we can use that to defend the FO for the next 3 years...  come on Pirates!  This team was a contender this year for 2 months before the usual nosedive.   

Some of the roster decisions being made are not baseball moves, so the org isn't really trying either.  Frazier going down instead of SRod being released or DFA'ed is just asset management.   Moroff is hot again in AAA, and could be called up to replace SRod.   Newman could be called up to replace SRod.    We have no need for him in the OF, so he's essentially a backup infielder with a no bad and a suspect glove lately.      

SRod has hit like .170 for a full calendar year now.   Check out the numbers for yourselves.   You can't replace this guy?
I think as Pirate fans, we all understand they won't compete financially to obtain or hold onto top players. All we ask is that they make the best use of what they've got. And that's why it's so maddening to see them run so poorly from the roster decisions of NH to the dugout decisions of CH.

This is an organization that will not spend money and is now IMO backward thinking. Watching Hurdle manage and seeing him extended is perplexing to say the least. Polanco and Bell are two young hitters that seem to get more "messed up" as they mature. The pitching philosophy of throwing 4 sewers to induce week contact has been flushed down the toilet by most teams. The objective now is to throw your best pitch often and induce swings and misses. Cole no longer pitches the "Pirate way" .. way more curves and sliders.

What I'm saying is good luck with them making the best of the players they have as you suggest.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6C6B7A697A2B261F0 wrote: If we can just find a way to have a .500 season this year, we can use that to defend the FO for the next 3 years...  come on Pirates!  This team was a contender this year for 2 months before the usual nosedive.   

Some of the roster decisions being made are not baseball moves, so the org isn't really trying either.  Frazier going down instead of SRod being released or DFA'ed is just asset management.   Moroff is hot again in AAA, and could be called up to replace SRod.   Newman could be called up to replace SRod.    We have no need for him in the OF, so he's essentially a backup infielder with a no bad and a suspect glove lately.      

SRod has hit like .170 for a full calendar year now.   Check out the numbers for yourselves.   You can't replace this guy?
I think as Pirate fans, we all understand they won't compete financially to obtain or hold onto top players. All we ask is that they make the best use of what they've got. And that's why it's so maddening to see them run so poorly from the roster decisions of NH to the dugout decisions of CH.

This is an organization that will not spend money and is now IMO backward thinking. Watching Hurdle manage and seeing him extended is perplexing to say the least. Polanco and Bell are two young hitters that seem to get more "messed up" as they mature. The pitching philosophy of throwing 4 sewers to induce week contact has been flushed down the toilet by most teams. The objective now is to throw your best pitch often and induce swings and misses. Cole no longer pitches the "Pirate way" .. way more curves and sliders.

What I'm saying is good luck with them making the best of the players they have as you suggest.
Exactly. Any organization should make the best use of what they've got. Somehow, that concept is foreign to Hurdle and NH.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

That's exactly the problem, I wouldn't be so frustrated if you knew they were doing they're best, but playing SRod playing day after day hitting .170, batting Polanco 2nd when he's hitting below .200 for months, batting Bell cleanup for months hitting 4 HR and poor offense in general, bringing in a closer who has blown a couple of games without having someone else up if he isn't effective and he blows 2 more games that are effectively won, and on and on. The above is just unexplainable, and not the actions of someone who is trying to win. I am so tired of watching this inept management of a team that could have a much better record and fun to watch. It's time the fans get the attention of this owner by not showing up when they are at PNC. We deserve better and I'm tired of this crap. Listening to Hurdle with all his stupid explanations just makes me sick, and I'm really tired of it.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

657D7F78786F7E79646573160 wrote: That's exactly the problem, I wouldn't be so frustrated if you knew they were doing they're best, but playing SRod playing day after day hitting .170, batting Polanco 2nd when he's hitting below .200 for months, batting Bell cleanup for months hitting 4 HR and poor offense in general, bringing in a closer who has blown a couple of games without having someone else up if he isn't effective and he blows 2 more games that are effectively won, and on and on.  The above is just unexplainable, and not the actions of someone who is trying to win.  I am so tired of watching this inept management of a team that could have a much better record and fun to watch.  It's time the fans get the attention of this owner by not showing up when they are at PNC.   We deserve better and I'm tired of this crap.  Listening to Hurdle with all his stupid explanations just makes me sick, and I'm really tired of it.

fans are not showing up so far this year. Pirates are 27th in attendance and average just 16,740.  Last year it was 23,696.  There is no way they will reach last year's attendance.

In 2016 the average was 28,112

I think there are 49 home dates left.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0123302D2E2B2C23003721212D420 wrote: If I set the over-under for Pirates' runs in tomorrow night's game vs. Patrick Corbin at 0.5 runs, how would you bet?

If I were in Vegas I'd take the under.

This next game has 2-hit shutout written all over it.

Again, I'd take the Over.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

002627302636450 wrote: That's exactly the problem, I wouldn't be so frustrated if you knew they were doing they're best, but playing SRod playing day after day hitting .170, batting Polanco 2nd when he's hitting below .200 for months, batting Bell cleanup for months hitting 4 HR and poor offense in general, bringing in a closer who has blown a couple of games without having someone else up if he isn't effective and he blows 2 more games that are effectively won, and on and on.  The above is just unexplainable, and not the actions of someone who is trying to win.  I am so tired of watching this inept management of a team that could have a much better record and fun to watch.  It's time the fans get the attention of this owner by not showing up when they are at PNC.   We deserve better and I'm tired of this crap.  Listening to Hurdle with all his stupid explanations just makes me sick, and I'm really tired of it.

fans are not showing up so far this year. Pirates are 27th in attendance and average just 16,740.  Last year it was 23,696.  There is no way they will reach last year's attendance.

In 2016 the average was 28,112

I think there are 49 home dates left. I agree it’s only going to get worse the further the team falls out of contention. There is a 10 game homestand starting this weekend so we will see how the crowds are in the next week or so. But yea the attendance so far this season is putrid and the Pirates ownership and management are getting exactly what they deserve at the end of the day.