Madison Bumgardner Trade Market

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

gileszee

Post by gileszee »

So there is talk that MadBum is on the market and the Pirates are NOT on his do not trade list.

What would it take to get him?

12 million salary only...UFA in 2020.

Take a flier on him? I would look into it.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I’d definitely ask. Never hurts to ask. That said, isn’t MadBum a 10 and 5 player?
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

You are correct...but the Pirates were not on his do not trade list.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Right, but my understanding is that a 10/5 player has the right to veto ANY trade, whether he has a no trade clause in his contract or not. But, he might not be 10/5. IDK how that’s counted, or even if it’s still a thing after the last CBA.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Per Baseball Reference MadBum is a 10 & 5 player.  So he can veto any trade if he invokes that rule.

One question I have is what do we have to give up to get him as a certainly will only be a rental type player?  Even when it comes time to make a deal for him and he is willing to come to the Burgh, I don't trust TBMTIBB to make a reasonable deal for him in terms of prospects/money. 

Speaking of MadBum's no-trade list here is an article from MLB.com news: MadBum Submits No-Trade List This guy is no dummy and seems to be taking a strategy looking for his chance at UFA next season.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

4E40454C5A534C4C290 wrote: So there is talk that MadBum is on the market and the Pirates are NOT on his do not trade list.

What would it take to get him?

12 million salary only...UFA in 2020.

Take a flier on him?  I would look into it.

Josh Bell
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

15343C153E36510 wrote: Per Baseball Reference MadBum is a 10 & 5 player.  So he can veto any trade if he invokes that rule.

One question I have is what do we have to give up to get him as a certainly will only be a rental type player?  Even when it comes time to make a deal for him and he is willing to come to the Burgh, I don't trust TBMTIBB to make a reasonable deal for him in terms of prospects/money. 

Speaking of MadBum's no-trade list here is an article from MLB.com news:  MadBum Submits No-Trade List  This guy is no dummy and seems to be taking a strategy looking for his chance at UFA next season.
Yes, Bumgarrner is very likely going to go to one of the teams on his no-trade list. Pretty clever. They'll just have to compensate him for waiving the clause.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

755855444352450506370 wrote: Per Baseball Reference MadBum is a 10 & 5 player.  So he can veto any trade if he invokes that rule.

Speaking of MadBum's no-trade list here is an article from MLB.com news:  MadBum Submits No-Trade List  This guy is no dummy and seems to be taking a strategy looking for his chance at UFA next season.
Yes, Bumgarrner is very likely going to go to one of the teams on his no-trade list. Pretty clever. They'll just have to compensate him for waiving the clause.

I must be really dense. Can someone please explain this rationale to me? I don't get it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

090102352306212E400 wrote: Per Baseball Reference MadBum is a 10 & 5 player.  So he can veto any trade if he invokes that rule.

I must be really dense. Can someone please explain this rationale to me? I don't get it.
A player can waive his no trade clause. So if a team on his no trade list really wants him, they can negotiate prior to the trade to compensate him financially if he agrees to waive the no trade clause to make the trade possible. It appears Bumgarner or his agent identified the teams most likely to want to acquire him and made those teams his no trade list. So if any of them want to trade for him, he'll see what they offer to waive the clause. Extortion comes to MLB. :)