Charlie Morton to Houston

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

The Morton signing for $7M gives me an uneasy feeling that we haven't seen the last of Jeff Locke. Looking at the list of FA starting pitchers (other than Nova who is almost certainly too expensive) there doesn't appear to be anyone who is a sure bet to be a whole lot better than Locke or to cost less. If NH is looking for veteran depth at starting pitcher maybe the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

496D797174180 wrote: The Morton signing for $7M gives me an uneasy feeling that we haven't seen the last of Jeff Locke. Looking at the list of FA starting pitchers (other than Nova who is almost certainly too expensive) there doesn't appear to be anyone who is a sure bet to be a whole lot better than Locke or to cost less. If NH is looking for veteran depth at starting pitcher maybe the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
I would take any of the unproven Glasnow, Williams, Brault or Hutchison over the proven failure Locke.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

How much is Jason Hammel gong to get?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

163B36272031266665540 wrote: The Morton signing for $7M gives me an uneasy feeling that we haven't seen the last of Jeff Locke. Looking at the list of FA starting pitchers (other than Nova who is almost certainly too expensive) there doesn't appear to be anyone who is a sure bet to be a whole lot better than Locke or to cost less. If NH is looking for veteran depth at starting pitcher maybe the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
I would take any of the unproven Glasnow, Williams, Brault or Hutchison over the proven failure Locke.

At this stage of off season, I have hopes for Nick Kingham to be big contributor next year.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

If Charlie got that much, Nova is going to be able to get $9+ per

WOW

:o
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4A4241766045626D030 wrote:

All the more reason we should have hung onto Liriano.

100%. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd definitely roll the dice on Liriano finding it again over seeing what one of these guys have got.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

487A76766250737A77727D7A1B0 wrote:

All the more reason we should have hung onto Liriano.

100%.  I don't know about anyone else, but I'd definitely roll the dice on Liriano finding it again over seeing what one of these guys have got.

I agree, the only way the Liriano deal could look good is if Hutchison has a break through as a starting pitcher.
Quail

Post by Quail »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: The Morton signing for $7M gives me an uneasy feeling that we haven't seen the last of Jeff Locke. Looking at the list of FA starting pitchers (other than Nova who is almost certainly too expensive) there doesn't appear to be anyone who is a sure bet to be a whole lot better than Locke or to cost less. If NH is looking for veteran depth at starting pitcher maybe the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

I'd prefer any of those guys too but I'm not the GM. Lots of proven failures on the trash heap FA list.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I was done with Liriano. He started to have a bad attitude too. That trade didn't bother me as it did to most.

It just sucks there isn't a lot of free agents out there. Huntington missed the boat last off season. He has to work a trade.

I don't see Locke back by any means. Well, maybe if he paid the Pirates to play. Then maybe.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B40484441405B1E186F564E474040014C402F0 wrote: I was done with Liriano.  He started to have a bad attitude too.  That trade didn't bother me as it did to most. 

It just sucks there isn't a lot of free agents out there.  Huntington missed the boat last off season.  He has to work a trade.

I don't see Locke back by any means.  Well, maybe if he paid the Pirates to play.  Then maybe.
Yeah, Liriano was doing more harm than good and I didn't mind moving him. But what bothered me and others was that they threw in good prospects to avoid paying any of Liriano's remaining salary. That was the problem with the deal; not the fact that they moved Liriano.