8/10 vs SF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

8/10 vs SF

Post by JollyRoger »

They had runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and they let Sadler hit for himself instead of sending up a PH to try and cut the lead to 7-4. They are definitely not in it to win it tonight
Wrathchild

8/10 vs SF

Post by Wrathchild »

Unfortunately, he didn’t have any choice because he’s already boxed himself into a corner. He’s probably going to have to use a good pitcher in a bad situation already. He definitely would have if he had pinch hit.
Wrathchild

8/10 vs SF

Post by Wrathchild »

I guess it doesn’t matter since Sadler is terrible. Hurdle is telling position players to start warming up.
SteadyFreddy

8/10 vs SF

Post by SteadyFreddy »

785D5E5E4B605D555740320 wrote: They had runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and they let Sadler hit for himself instead of sending up a PH to try and cut the lead to 7-4. They are definitely not in it to win it tonight I thought about doing that too but they weren’t going to remove Sadler after he only pitched one inning. This is what they get for starting Holmes tonight as it completely and totally blew up in their face. At this point just stick with Sadler down by 8 runs and take the loss and try and win these last two games of this series. This is flat out embarrassing what happened tonight and it’s all on Hurdle and nobody else.
JollyRoger

8/10 vs SF

Post by JollyRoger »

First it was Smoker and Neverauskas. Then Tanner and McRae. Now Sadler. Do we not have any competent bullpen options in the Minors.
CarolinaBucco

8/10 vs SF

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is infuriating.

We started today 4 games out of the WC and 7 back of the Cubs.

So we bring up a minor-leaguer to pitch a big game for the sole purpose of giving our starters an extra days rest (when they had 2 days off last week and 1 next week).

So now we are basically raising the white flag and mailing it ... when EVERY game is very important.

This feels like the Pirates have basically decided that REST is more important than the playoff race.

I can't remember any other teams ever pulling a stunt like this.

Like I said earlier, feels like the Pirates went off the deep end over-thinking this.
rucker59@gmail.com

8/10 vs SF

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4D687B6E72797273767E1A0 wrote: Unfortunately, he didn’t have any choice because he’s already boxed himself into a0corner. He’s probably going to have to use a good pitcher in a bad situation already. He definitely would have if he had pinch hit.

just another way of saying Hurdle totally screwed up. Just gave the game away if his stupid experiment fails in any way, and it failed miserably.

1) Holmes is off from the very first pitch. Gives up 3 runs but Hurdle has no choice but to hope Holmes can get a 3rd out.

2) Third inning, over sixty pitches already, no way Holmes is going to go long, but Hurdle leaves Holmes in anyway for 3 more runs. Hurdle had to make a decision in this inning whether this game is important to try to save from his STUPID over managing. His decision now puts the Pirates in a 6-1 hole, AND he still has to pull a Holmes.

3) 4th inning and it’s 7-2 with an opportunity to maybe get back in the game with 2 base runners and 2 outs. And he lets Sadler bat. Clint’s STUPID plan Results in Hurdle looking like a clown. Better to take a pie in the face Clint, at least you wouldn’t hurt the team.

I’ve rarely been as angry over a baseball game as I am now. I would love to see this clown fired for such poor performance. Make Hurdle go out and pitch the rest of the game. Then I’d be rooting for the game to last all night and the Giants score 100 runs.
rucker59@gmail.com

8/10 vs SF

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7654475A595C5B54774056565A350 wrote: This is infuriating.

We started today 4 games out of the WC and 7 back of the Cubs.

So we bring up a minor-leaguer to pitch a big game for the sole purpose of giving our starters an extra days rest (when they had 2 days off last week and 1 next week).

So now we are basically raising the white flag and mailing it ... when EVERY game is very important.

This feels like the Pirates have basically decided that REST is more important than the playoff race.

I can't remember any other teams ever pulling a stunt like this.

Like I said earlier, feels like the Pirates went off the deep end over-thinking this.

I’ve never been as angry over a game as I am tonight. Furious. The only good thing - the giants are doing their part to humiliate our buffoon manager. Hurdle should be fired. I hope he’s feeling as stupid as he looks, but we know he doesn’t care.
Wrathchild

8/10 vs SF

Post by Wrathchild »

I don’t get too worked up when they rest position players since those guys play practically everyday. There’s common sense in rest in that case even if the value is hard to quantify. Bringing up a AAA pitcher in a pennant race scenario to give a starting pitcher five days rest instead of four isn’t supported in any way including common sense.
SteadyFreddy

8/10 vs SF

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea these middle relief guys this year for the Pirates have been terrible. AJ Schugel if he was healthy would be a decent option but so far everybody that has come up so far in that role has stunk.