Some Perspective on Polanco

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

I think we need to stop kicking the can down the road and waiting for some guy in AAA to come up and right the ship, and instead go out and acquire some major league ball players to compete with the other teams major league ball players.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4E6A736469726471050 wrote: I think we need to stop kicking the can down the road and waiting for some guy in AAA to come up and right the ship, and instead go out and acquire some major league ball players to compete with the other teams major league ball players.

Some player in AAA is hitting.338 and in my opinion derserves to come up and play for a regular basis to discover what they actually have with him. He could play right field and sure he is not the best defender, but he isn’t replacing the Great Roberto. Polanco is not the best outfielder, and I think teams feel they can take an extra base on his arm. Let’s see what Osuna can do for several games in the lineup.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

363A3B6069606865627D67500 wrote: I think we need to stop kicking the can down the road and waiting for some guy in AAA to come up and right the ship, and instead go out and acquire some major league ball players to compete with the other teams major league ball players.

Some player in AAA is hitting.338 and in my opinion derserves to come up and play for a regular basis to discover what they actually have with him. He could play right field and sure he is not the best defender, but he isn’t replacing the Great Roberto. Polanco is not the best outfielder, and I think teams feel they can take an extra base on his arm. Let’s see what Osuna can do for several games in the lineup.
---

We are always waiting to discover what we have with this player or that player instead of acquiring some players who have already proven they are major league ball payers.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0521382F22392F3A4E0 wrote: I think we need to stop kicking the can down the road and waiting for some guy in AAA to come up and right the ship, and instead go out and acquire some major league ball players to compete with the other teams major league ball players.

---

We are always waiting to discover what we have with this player or that player instead of acquiring some players who have already proven they are major league ball payers.

The Pirates mgt team refuses to pay to obtain players who have already proven they are major league ball players. Dickerson is the rare exception because he fell into their lap. It's a crappy way of trying to succeed in MLB but this is what we're dealing with.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Need to build a core of young players first. That's how teams win. Even the Cubs and Red Sox ended their hundred year drought by building a core. The Yankees ended their 18 year drought that way too. Young talent producing together is the key to playoff and championship teams. The 1997 Marlins were the exception.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

The next time the pirates make the postseason by building around a core of young players will be the first in my lifetime ;D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6E656D6164657E3B3D4A736B6265652469650A0 wrote: Need to build a core of young players first. That's how teams win. Even the Cubs and Red Sox ended their hundred year drought by building a core. The Yankees ended their 18 year drought that way too. Young talent producing together is the key to playoff and championship teams. The 1997 Marlins were the exception.
Of course, Dog. But the other teams you mentioned supplement their young core with high level productive veterans and/or paying to retain their home grown talent rather than trading them to avoid FA or arb. Building a young core is absolutely vital. I couldn't agree more. But that's just one phase of building a championship team. You can't stop there.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: Need to build a core of young players first. That's how teams win. Even the Cubs and Red Sox ended their hundred year drought by building a core. The Yankees ended their 18 year drought that way too. Young talent producing together is the key to playoff and championship teams. The 1997 Marlins were the exception.
Of course, Dog. But the other teams you mentioned supplement their young core with high level productive veterans and/or paying to retain their home grown talent rather than trading them to avoid FA or arb. Building a young core is absolutely vital. I couldn't agree more. But that's just one phase of building a championship team. You can't stop there. 

Agreed. You have to do that first. You can't just go out and sign everyone you can. That isn't working. I mentioned those teams because they are the big money teams. Yes, they have added to that core, but the core came first.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: Need to build a core of young players first. That's how teams win. Even the Cubs and Red Sox ended their hundred year drought by building a core. The Yankees ended their 18 year drought that way too. Young talent producing together is the key to playoff and championship teams. The 1997 Marlins were the exception.
---

The problem is that we always are building young cores, but we never add the high priced players that we need to win. "Building a core" is nothing more than kicking the can don the road.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

684C55424F544257230 wrote: Need to build a core of young players first. That's how teams win. Even the Cubs and Red Sox ended their hundred year drought by building a core. The Yankees ended their 18 year drought that way too. Young talent producing together is the key to playoff and championship teams. The 1997 Marlins were the exception.
---

The problem is that we always are building young cores, but we never add the high priced players that we need to win.  "Building a core" is nothing more than kicking the can don the road.

Why do they have to be high priced?

The Pirates recent run they added AJ Burnett, Francisco Liriano and Russell Martin. Those three put the Pirates over the top after the core was in place. Others did too, but they were the main pieces in my opinion.