5/13 Mother’s Day Game Thread Giants@Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

There were a ton of loud outs yesterday. Nova didn't have it, I'm not sure he's going to be in the rotation all year, I don't think he's very good.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

About the only purported value that Nova has now is 'veteranoisity'.

At the beginning of last year he was going deep into games and pitching well. Things went well down hill after mid-June and this year, if he's pitching well, he can make it through the line-up twice, but by the third time through the line-up he is a candidate for getting 'lit-up'.

The Bucs have a whole bevy of average starters. At this point, no one stands out, but, the team has another average starter available to replace anyone who falters too badly.

I know that many believe that Kuhl should be on the bubble. I believe that Nova is the starter who most likely should be replaced when Musgrove and Kingham return. I know you can never have enough starting pitching, but I believe the Bucs should be trying to move Nova and to do it soon before the weather heats up even further and more of the hard hit fly balls off of him carry over the wall.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Did anyone hear the Neal Huntington show, specifically when he went down on the person (don't know who it was) who first leaked the McCutchen trade? He called whoever it was an "idiot" because Cutch deserved to be told in a different way and he didn't have a chance before the story got out. I know there are a lot of different opinions on NH but he sounded genuinely pissed.

Tried to find a transcript online or something but haven't come up with anything.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5B777F787354637565160 wrote: About the only purported value that Nova has now is 'veteranoisity'.   

At the beginning of last year he was going deep into games and pitching well.  Things went well down hill after mid-June and this year, if he's pitching well, he can make it through the line-up twice, but by the third time through the line-up he is a candidate for getting 'lit-up'.

The Bucs have a whole bevy of average starters.  At this point, no one stands out, but, the team has another average starter available to replace anyone who falters too badly.

I know that many believe that Kuhl should be on the bubble.   I believe that Nova is the starter who most likely should be replaced when Musgrove and Kingham return.  I know you can never have enough starting pitching, but I believe the Bucs should be trying to move Nova and to do it soon before the weather heats up even further and more of the hard hit fly balls off of him carry over the wall.         

I think people say Kuhl because he can be a bullpen arm. Kuhl can come in and throw heat for an inning. I am not sure Nova would be a good bullpen arm.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: About the only purported value that Nova has now is 'veteranoisity'.   

At the beginning of last year he was going deep into games and pitching well.  Things went well down hill after mid-June and this year, if he's pitching well, he can make it through the line-up twice, but by the third time through the line-up he is a candidate for getting 'lit-up'.

The Bucs have a whole bevy of average starters.  At this point, no one stands out, but, the team has another average starter available to replace anyone who falters too badly.

I know that many believe that Kuhl should be on the bubble.   I believe that Nova is the starter who most likely should be replaced when Musgrove and Kingham return.  I know you can never have enough starting pitching, but I believe the Bucs should be trying to move Nova and to do it soon before the weather heats up even further and more of the hard hit fly balls off of him carry over the wall.         

I think people say Kuhl because he can be a bullpen arm.  Kuhl can come in and throw heat for an inning.  I am not sure Nova would be a good bullpen arm. 

If Nova is not a good bullpen arm then what do you do with him. Like Mainer says, get rid of him for his veteranocity. Oh, wait, if they do that they will have to eat some salary, and TBMTIBB doesn't do that! So we are stuck with Nova in the rotation. [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6C4D456C474F280 wrote: About the only purported value that Nova has now is 'veteranoisity'.   

I think people say Kuhl because he can be a bullpen arm.  Kuhl can come in and throw heat for an inning.  I am not sure Nova would be a good bullpen arm. 

If Nova is not a good bullpen arm then what do you do with him.  Like Mainer says, get rid of him for his veteranocity.  Oh, wait, if they do that they will have to eat some salary, and TBMTIBB doesn't do that!  So we are stuck with Nova in the rotation.   [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]
I think there are enough bad pitchers in MLB that some teams would see Nova as an upgrade over their #5. Of course his 9.2 million salary this year and next would prohibit much of a return. Probably just a mid-ranked single A player and the Pirates might have to eat some of that contract.

Or here's another idea. The Phillies have a reliever named Drew Hutchison. Maybe the Pirates could trade Nova, Newman and Kramer for Hutchison and the Phillies would pay all of Nova's contract. After all, one MLB GM once said he believed Hutchison could be a quality major league pitcher and made a deal in which the "primary motivation was to acquire Drew Hutchison." So he must be good! ::)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

715058715A52350 wrote: About the only purported value that Nova has now is 'veteranoisity'.   

If Nova is not a good bullpen arm then what do you do with him.  Like Mainer says, get rid of him for his veteranocity.  Oh, wait, if they do that they will have to eat some salary, and TBMTIBB doesn't do that!  So we are stuck with Nova in the rotation.   [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]

They have eaten salary numerous times over the years.

Nova stays in the rotation. His stats aren't great but they don't tell the whole story. A lot of mistakes behind him (and even his own glove) have chased him out of games this year.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Funny thing is (while one is younger and has a better future) are Nova and Kuhl's results really all that different from each other?  Recency Bias here?   

Is it really some grave miscarriage of justice if one lost his spot over the other?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Leading the NL in hits is usually not a good sign.  However, Nova is a back of the rotation type guy anyway.   

I'm not too concerned about it.   It would be really nice of Taillon could get with the program and turn into an ace.  That's what I would like from the rotation.    We've got a lot of decent "serviceable" rotation guys but nothing top end.    (Williams will fall back with the rest of them as the sample increases)   

Getting rid of Kontos is where I'm at currently.   This bullpen is really shaping up.   I think you could bump RRod or Feliz to 8th inning, move Brault up to higher leverage and call up Clay Holmes to fill for Brault. Brault is 2-3 MPH faster out of the pen and misses bats, also his control issues aren't such a big deal.

The pen is looking real good.  Can make up for some rotation issues.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I am done with Kontos too. There has to be a DL stint coming up for him. I was at the game on Saturday and I don't think he hit 90 mph.

He would be the guy I would try to move. I liked him last year and thought he would be a good asset this year. He lost something.

Rodriguez was a good find. He should be used more.