About that Liriano trade...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

There's an interesting article on the dkpittsburghsports website today written by Dejan Kovacevic concerning the Pirates trade of Francisco Liriano to the Blue Jays. It's a pay site so for those of you without a subscription I will try to summarize. http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/09/3 ... tes-walls/

Essentially Dejan says that there have been serious concerns about that deal expressed by individuals both within the Pirate organization (specifically scouts, instructors, coaches, and players) and from outside the organization including at least one scout and an Assistant GM from an American League team. That Assistant GM apparently told Dejan that his team and some "other teams" contacted Commissioner Bob Manfred's office about the deal.

Interesting stuff especially about the teams who felt the deal was such that it might require the Commissioner's involvement.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Not surprised. I said the commissioner should look into it as soon as I heard about it. Trading the struggling and always inconsistent Liriano was fine. Hutchison has never shown the ability to be more than below average but would have been adequate compensation if Toronto was willing to pay the remainder of Liriano's contract. But it took the prospects to get Toronto to agree. NH even admitted that dumping that salary was part of the motivation for the deal. At the very least with the Pirates' low payroll, it would seem they could have offered to pay some of that contract rather than give up both prospects. Despite whatever spin they try to put on it, I believe that deal sent a frightening message to Pirate fans regarding the team's #1 priority.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Maybe expand the summary above so that it states some sort of basis for what the teams are alleged to have said to the commissioner?
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

All I can say is that since that trade Liriano has been pitching like filthy frankie; whereas the Pirates have played with little passion
Quail

Post by Quail »

73405C5D5E56605D465A4146575B5C320 wrote: Maybe expand the summary above so that it states some sort of basis for what the teams are alleged to have said to the commissioner?

There is no info in the article about what exactly was discussed between those teams and the Commissioner. The significance of other teams simply being concerned enough about the deal to take it to that level is the point being made in the article.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I like Dejan, but it just sounds like he's dumping rumors before the season's over and everyone loses interest.
Quail

Post by Quail »

675448494A427449524E5552434F48260 wrote: I like Dejan, but it just sounds like he's dumping rumors before the season's over and everyone loses interest.

He says he's got names and sources on file which he's given to his editor and the Pirate beat writer for all the persons he's referenced in the article. He invited questions about this on the site in the comments area to which he said he'd respond. Didn't seem like rumor mongering to me.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

507460686D010 wrote: I like Dejan, but it just sounds like he's dumping rumors before the season's over and everyone loses interest.

He says he's got names and sources on file which he's given to his editor and the Pirate beat writer for all the persons he's referenced in the article. He invited questions about this on the site in the comments area to which he said he'd respond. Didn't seem like rumor mongering to me.

if it isn't rumor mongering, something will appear on ml trade rumors and other sites. I could see teams questioning it as selling prospects and the Pirates have been criticized by other teams for not using revenue sharing money as intended (but I don't think they have been reprimanded in any way for this)
Quail

Post by Quail »

0F29283F29394A0 wrote: I like Dejan, but it just sounds like he's dumping rumors before the season's over and everyone loses interest.

if it isn't rumor mongering, something will appear on ml trade rumors and other sites.  I could see teams questioning it as selling prospects and the Pirates have been criticized by other teams for not using revenue sharing money as intended (but I don't think they have been reprimanded in any way for this)

When Pirates F.O. was asked if they had been contacted by the Commissioner's office regarding the trade they refused to comment. Again per article.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

73405C5D5E56605D465A4146575B5C320 wrote: I like Dejan, but it just sounds like he's dumping rumors before the season's over and everyone loses interest.

Personally, don't care if he's dumping rumors, especially if it makes our FO and ownership look bad. They deserve to get ripped.