Rennie Stennett passes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Pirates posted on Facebook just a few minutes ago that he had passed.

I have no other details.

Was part of the greatest run of Pirates teams, the decade of the 70's, one of the best hitters of his time.

RIP Rennie
Javy

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by Javy »

Who could forget his 7 for 7 game?. great hitter in the middle of a murderous line-up.

If not for his fractured ankle, who knows how great he could have become, instead of falling on hard times and winding up as a part-timer and pinch hitter with the Giants.
ArnoldRothstein

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Apparently a cancer victim. RIP.

He came up to the majors in 1971. He hit .353, but the team was strong enough that they left him off the postseason roster. Played all over the field for a while, looked very promising to me as a center fielder. Finally settled in at second and showed outstanding range there. He was a beautiful ballplayer while he was healthy.

Edit: not to make light, but he may have just aged two years.
Bobster21

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by Bobster21 »

I met him a few times at fantasy camps. He said that in his post baseball years he had become a serious tennis player. He said the HOF called after the 7 for 7 game and asked for the bat. He gave them a bat and let them think it was the one he used that game but there was no way he was giving up a bat that had so many hits in it. :)
WildwoodDave2

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

042924353223347477460 wrote: I met him a few times at fantasy camps. He said that in his post baseball years he had become a serious tennis player. He said the HOF called after the 7 for 7 game and asked for the bat. He gave them a bat and let them think it was the one he used that game but there was no way he was giving up a bat that had so many hits in it.   :)
I remember how much "the Gunner' liked him. would call him Renaldo
2drfischer@gmail.c

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I remember him being a very dynamic, very active player. His style of attacking while at the plate would never fly today in this age of making starting pitchers work deep into counts. I'm glad I got to see him play on a daily basis.

RIP Rennie.
JollyRoger

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by JollyRoger »

Very sad to hear.

I grew up with those 70’s teams

It was a great time to be a Pirate fan!!
CarolinaBucco

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by CarolinaBucco »

My favorite ballplayer as a kid.

I played 2B.

I loved the Pirates.

Rennie played 2B.

Therefore I loved Rennie.

Will never forget 7-7 at Wrigley.

RIP #6
Quail

Rennie Stennett passes

Post by Quail »

He was one of my favorite players. I named one of my cats after him (the full name "Rennie Stennett"). Via some unusual and fortuitous circumstances, he found out about it through my veterinarian and thought it was a very cool tribute.

RIP Rennie Stennett