Kang and Harrison

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Kang and Harrison

Post by Leyland1948 »

Local paper reporting that the deadline for a decision on Kang and Harrison is due by 5pm on Friday but may be announced before that time.
MaineBucs

Kang and Harrison

Post by MaineBucs »

I trust that they will move on from Harrison and pay the cost to decline his option.

I am hoping that they can strike a new lesser cost deal with Kang. He has a lot to prove, but could be a valuable player next year. Hopefully a base price of $1.5 mil or so with achievable incentives.

With both Santana and Kuhl out for all of next season, the Bucs need to hold onto enough cash to bring in 2 decent relievers to supplement Vasquez, Kela, Crick and Rodriguez. A 4 man deep pen is not enough.
BenM

Kang and Harrison

Post by BenM »

I assume Harrison is gone. I like his energy, but he's not the player he used to be and $10.5 million is too much.

Kang? Five and a half million is a lot of money for a guy who hasn't played high level baseball in two years.
mouse

Kang and Harrison

Post by mouse »

Pirates Prospects had a great article this morning on the offseason. They indicate Midnight Wednesday for decisions on option years - which would be Kang and Harrison.
CarolinaBucco

Kang and Harrison

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I think these should be the offseason priorities:

1. Acquire a RF for the first 2-3 months. Preferably a LH with some pop (Granderson?). Do NOT take the lazy, easy way out and announce the Luplow has the job.

2. Acquire a reliable glove-first SS. I would be fine with Hechavarria or someone similar. Don't take the lazy, easy way out and hand the job to Newman. I'm not at all convinced that he's ready.

3. Resolve 3B. I'm willing to roll the dice here with Kang/Moran if Kang's contract can be restructured.

4. Acquire a LF starting pitcher. Someone who is a No. 3 type caliber guy. Maybe Gio. Or maybe Happ, who is now more of a No. 2. We need more arms. And I really think we are desperate for a LH. Especially in this park. And no matter what NH says, we are not deep enough. There will be injuries. And there will be off-years and underachievement. Get. More. Legit. Pitching.

Do these 4 things and I will be fired up for 2019.

Ecbucs

Kang and Harrison

Post by Ecbucs »

694B58454643444B685F4949452A0 wrote: I think these should be the offseason priorities:

1. Acquire a RF for the first 2-3 months. Preferably a LH with some pop (Granderson?). Do NOT take the lazy, easy way out and announce the Luplow has the job.

2. Acquire a reliable glove-first SS. I would be fine with Hechavarria or someone similar. Don't take the lazy, easy way out and hand the job to Newman. I'm not at all convinced that he's ready.

3. Resolve 3B. I'm willing to roll the dice here with Kang/Moran if Kang's contract can be restructured.

4. Acquire a LF starting pitcher. Someone who is a No. 3 type caliber guy. Maybe Gio. Or maybe Happ, who is now more of a No. 2. We need more arms. And I really think we are desperate for a LH. Especially in this park. And no matter what NH says, we are not deep enough. There will be injuries. And there will be off-years and underachievement. Get. More. Legit. Pitching.

I think this is a good list. only one I disagree with is I want a shortstop who is above average. Great glove and bad bat isn't good enough.
BucsFaninGA

Kang and Harrison

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I second your motion Carolina Bucco! Definitely should not stand pat. Will be quite "a tell" to see what our front office does to support the current group. Fingers crossed and hoping for something positive!

Beat'em Bucs 8-)
Quail

Kang and Harrison

Post by Quail »

1634273A393C3B34172036363A550 wrote: I think these should be the offseason priorities:

Yes! That's a very reasonable to-do list for Pirate management this off-season, and one they should be able to afford, even with a notoriously stingy owner.

But, if on the pipe-dream odd chance that Bob Nutting feels like his money's burning a hole in his pocket I'd lobby heavily for a signing of Josh Donaldson as the solution for #3 above.
maher.timothy20@gm

Kang and Harrison

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

0A283B26252027280B3C2A2A26490 wrote: I think these should be the offseason priorities:

I agree with everything you say. I'd go after Marwin Gonzales who can play 2B and then Frazier goes to the outfield until Polanco gets back.
mouse

Kang and Harrison

Post by mouse »

I like the Marwin Gonzales (or something akin to it) solution. I'm not sold on the AAA people coming up to fill holes effectively, and still have questions in my mind about Frazier at second (although perhaps he has gotten better as a fielder).