Clint explains why Pirates lost

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

From PG

““When you’re in the game, you never have it won until you win it. It’s a good ballclub over there. They’re always going to battle,” Hurdle said. “We didn’t play well enough to win today. You honestly self-evaluate, did you do enough things to win the game? Unfortunately, with the free 90s we gave them, too many opportunities late to extend innings, put baserunners on. That’s what cost us the game.”

Let’s see:

You never win till you win.

The other team battles.

We didn’t play well enough.

We have to self evaluate - did we do enough things to win?

Clint demonstrates at least part of the problem. Did we do enough things to win? No Clint. I’m looking at the score right now, it says we lost. We did not do enough things to win. The Rest of your clichés are simply that - clichés. No accountability. No pride. No nothing. It could have Easily been any random game in the Middle of another mind Numbingly purposeless season to listen to Clint. That was actually the home opener with a full house and national TV Watching an embarrassing display put on by a organization maintaining that it’s embarrassingly low payroll is justified.

I left the game early and was able to catch part of the ESPN broadcast. The team should be humiliated, the front organization ashamed.

But Clint just sleep walks through the 1st of 162 post games.

He owed Pirate fans and the fans of baseball an apology with assurance this will not happen again. His attitude may be the The greatest embarrassment of the day.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Clint's bosses don't prioritize winning. They would like to win but they don't expect it. He knows that. He was happy to sign a 4-year extension for them knowing full well that the chances of winning would be slim at best. Clint seems to have the attitude of a guy just showing up for work every day.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I've never been on the "Clint Hurdle must be fired" bandwagon but I'm about to jump on.

The lack of fundamentals, year after year, is disturbing. Yes, he should get better players, too, but the players he has make the same mistakes over and over. Not just mediocre players like Gonzales but premier players like Marte making boneheaded plays.

Not that it matters what I think--he won't go until his contract is up, or he retires.
rucker59@gmail.com

737F767B6C306A7773716A76672C2E5E79731E0 wrote: I've never been on the "Clint Hurdle must be fired" bandwagon but I'm about to jump on.

The lack of fundamentals, year after year, is disturbing. Yes, he should get better players, too, but the players he has make the same mistakes over and over. Not just mediocre players like Gonzales but premier players like Marte making boneheaded plays.

Not that it matters what I think--he won't go until his contract is up, or he retires.

Lack of fundamentals. It really is stunning: this organization simply doesn’t care. We can be sure Moran knows the fundamentals of fielding. But here’s a guy fighting for playing time, starting the home opener in front of a full house and national TV who is lazy on a routine ground ball; he never moves his feet and the ball rolls under his glove. That play says volumes about what Clint and this front office demands of its players. They are not held to fundamentals. Can you imagine how hard they’ll be playing half way through the season?
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I agree listening to Clint after these losses is getting real tiresome. As Bobster always says Clint knows that he has job security and isn’t going anywhere so he really has no pressure to manage or speak like a guy who is managing for his job. He just shows up for work and if they win great and if they don’t it’s okay as well just get em again tomorrow. And it’s just getting extremely tiresome to watch year in and year out.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3B373E332478223F3B39223E2F646616313B560 wrote: I've never been on the "Clint Hurdle must be fired" bandwagon but I'm about to jump on.

I have always maintained that the Pirates need to have an outstanding manager because they will never have more talent than their rivals so they need a manager who will consistently get the most out of what he's got. Hurdle is a formula manager, like so many others. He follows his formulas and if they work they work and if they don't they don't. He's certainly not the only manager who does that. And with a more talented roster with more players capable of producing consistently, that style can be successful. But with a less talented roster, a manager needs to be creative, think outside the box, manage one game differently than another to get the most out of what he's got each day. I guess not many managers are like that and Hurdle certainly isn't. So I think over the course of a season, he does more harm than good with a roster than needs to be used as creatively and effectively as possible rather than plugging names into a formula. Yesterday they needed 4 innings from the BP and the formula said 4 pitchers 1 inning each. Crick did a great job on 12 pitches. But Hurdle had plugged Rodriguez' name into the 7th and the formula couldn't be changed despite Crick's success or Rodriguez's recent failure the other day.

PMike

Post by PMike »

Hurdle isn't a great game manager and he made some mistakes yesterday. But his team let him down yesterday. They gave out 11 walk/HBP, multiple errors, catching mistakes, base running gaffes. What do you want him to say? It's the 3 game of the season. He's not going to throw his players under the bus.

Secondly, poor fundamental and bad baseball is not a Pirates issue. It's an MLB issue. More realistically, it's a world wide baseball issue. Kids, especially when they get closer to high school, don't actually play games any more. They do showcases. The result is that you have a kid that can throw 90mph doesn't doesn't ever pitch to a person. Or kids that can hit the cover off the ball but haven't spent years running from first to third on a ball hit to right field. I know must of us grew up doing this stuff every day in our teenage years of baseball so it seems common sense. Kids aren't doing that any more. When they get to pro ball, they simply don't know baseball because they haven't played baseball. They pitched 25 pitches and batted 3 times regardless of situation because the scouts came all this way to see this kid. It isn't just the Pirates who suck at fundamentals. Watch other MLB games.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don’t expect him to say anything because he usually never does. He wants to win I believe but if he doesn’t he is perfectly content losing as well and doesn’t live and die with every single loss like some other managers do. There has been both a fundamental and bad base running problem under Hurdles watch for years now and it just never gets better for whatever reason. So for that I am going to hold him completely responsible for because things should be getting better with this and they continue to get worse.
rucker59@gmail.com

Gotta agree with Freddy and Bobster - there simply needs to be accountability that does not exist. Surely this is the type of stuff recently departed players have Alluded to in recent years.

Take more of Client’s comments from yesterday. Praising Moran’s at bats. That’s great. But no one can honestly praise his ABs without also mentioning he failed in the field. And sometimes a leader needs to simply kick butt.

It was such a sorry display yesterday that how can you not speak specifically to the fans and say “we let you down, we WILL do better.” Instead it credits a mostly hapless (yesterday) Cardinal team with being “powerful”.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0B1632303E5B0 wrote: Hurdle isn't a great game manager and he made some mistakes yesterday.  But his team let him down yesterday.  They gave out 11 walk/HBP, multiple errors, catching mistakes, base running gaffes.  What do you want him to say?  It's the 3 game of the season.  He's not going to throw his players under the bus.

Secondly, poor fundamental and bad baseball is not a Pirates issue.  It's an MLB issue.  More realistically, it's a world wide baseball issue.  Kids, especially when they get closer to high school, don't actually play games any more.  They do showcases.  The result is that you have a kid that can throw 90mph doesn't doesn't ever pitch to a person.  Or kids that can hit the cover off the ball but haven't spent years running from first to third on a ball hit to right field.  I know must of us grew up doing this stuff every day in our teenage years of baseball so it seems common sense.  Kids aren't doing that any more.  When they get to pro ball, they simply don't know baseball because they haven't played baseball.  They pitched 25 pitches and batted 3 times regardless of situation because the scouts came all this way to see this kid.  It isn't just the Pirates who suck at fundamentals.  Watch other MLB games.
But they still play high school and college baseball and all that entails. I suspect the star players (the ones so good they are attracting scouts) are coddled by their coaches and parents. Coaches probably praise their abilities without pointing out flaws in their game that should be corrected. Because if mom or dad see the coach correcting their son or he goes home complaining, they may take him out of that school and the coach loses his best player.