MLB Atlantic League Rules Experiments

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

MLB Move Mound Back, Double Hook DH in Atlantic League this season

The first one about moving the mound back is to increase offense. The second one is to force teams to let their SP in the game longer if the DH is being used.

Let's hear your comments.
Javy

Post by Javy »

This is craziness. I read most of the comments also.

i cannot (and I am not a doctor) see how moving the mound back would not put additional stress on a pitchers arm. Their analytics may be scientifically sound, but it does not take into acount the human fragility that we see in so many pitchers.

The DH thing is absurd. You lose the DH when you take out your starter? That promotes leaving a starter in for abnormally long stretches, thereby increasing the injury scenario. Just one case as an example. The Mets leaving Johann Santana in for over 130 pitches because he was pitching a no-hitter, whne he had never thrown more than 112-115 in a start before. He was never the same after that.

Manfred seems like a crazy mad scientist with these ideas (although I'm sure they are not his alone)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

It seems like it would be better and less intrusive to just chane the strike zone.
WiffleballHero

Post by WiffleballHero »

Don't worry, Rob Manfred and the boys are still working on the new formula.

[img width="400" height="550"]https://s3-prod.adage.com/s3fs-public/2 ... llsize.jpg[/img]
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

My thoughts? MLB continues to try to fix what isn’t broken. Stop tinkering with the rules. They’re fine. Get rid of the three batter minimum rule. Play all games (except weather shortened) a full nine innings, even double headers. For the love of all things holy...get rid of the gimmicky extra innings ghost runner rule. And for gosh sakes, ban the DH.

I agree with others...these rules proposals will only increase injury risk. Baseball is fine as it is. It’s perfect. Or at least it was until Manfred decided he needed to try to fix that which wasn’t broken.

Want to fix the game? Given all teams an even playing field. End blackouts. Make it so fans can actually watch your product. Manfred continues to do all he can to destroy the game.

Off rant.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4C4447706643646B050 wrote: My thoughts? MLB continues to try to fix what isn’t broken. Stop tinkering with the rules. They’re fine. Get rid of the three batter minimum rule. Play all games (except weather shortened) a full nine innings, even double headers. For the love of all things holy...get rid of the gimmicky extra innings ghost runner rule. And for gosh sakes, ban the DH.

I agree with others...these rules proposals will only increase injury risk. Baseball is fine as it is. It’s perfect. Or at least it was until Manfred decided he needed to try to fix that which wasn’t broken.

Want to fix the game? Given all teams an even playing field. End blackouts. Make it so fans can actually watch your product. Manfred continues to do all he can to destroy the game.

Off rant.

one other thing to get rid of his body armor for hitters.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I'd be down with that.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

2A2221160025020D630 wrote: My thoughts? MLB continues to try to fix what isn’t broken. Stop tinkering with the rules. They’re fine. Get rid of the three batter minimum rule. Play all games (except weather shortened) a full nine innings, even double headers. For the love of all things holy...get rid of the gimmicky extra innings ghost runner rule. And for gosh sakes, ban the DH.

Off rant.

Basically, my whole thought on it is this...you can only change the rules so much before the game you're playing is different. For instance...MLB plays nine inning games. The Twins lost two seven inning games tonight. (And have been burned twice on the Extra Innings gimmick.) But the point is this...they didn't lose an MLB game. MLB games are nine innings. Not seven. They play seven in high school and AAU ball.

Does the NFL play three quarters when the weather is bad? Maybe we can cut NBA games to four eight minute quarters this year because of COVID. Trim the NHL to three fifteen minute periods. Because less baseball is a great way to grow the game...

Anyway...how much can you change before you change the game that's being played? If MLB takes these things to their logical conclusion, they're going to start dictating where players can play, that you can reenter after being removed from the game, having two, three, four...nine DHs. I mean, if one DH is great, then clearly nine is freaking awesome right?!?! Who wants to watch some slap hitting middle infielder hit? Or a catcher that can't hit his weight. Who wants to watch Pedro Alvarez play the field? We could even start using courtesy runners!

If you're going to start extras with a runner on second, why not just put him on third? Start with a runner on third and one out. A sac fly and the game is over. No more 18 inning marathons, because more baseball is bad for the game or something.

Rob Manfred is doing all he can to ruin the greatest game on earth.

Those are my two cents...or maybe four cents.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4D4546716742656A040 wrote: My thoughts? MLB continues to try to fix what isn’t broken. Stop tinkering with the rules. They’re fine. Get rid of the three batter minimum rule. Play all games (except weather shortened) a full nine innings, even double headers. For the love of all things holy...get rid of the gimmicky extra innings ghost runner rule. And for gosh sakes, ban the DH.

Off rant.

Basically, my whole thought on it is this...you can only change the rules so much before the game you're playing is different. For instance...MLB plays nine inning games. The Twins lost two seven inning games tonight. (And have been burned twice on the Extra Innings gimmick.) But the point is this...they didn't lose an MLB game. MLB games are nine innings. Not seven. They play seven in high school and AAU ball.

Does the NFL play three quarters when the weather is bad? Maybe we can cut NBA games to four eight minute quarters this year because of COVID. Trim the NHL to three fifteen minute periods. Because less baseball is a great way to grow the game...

Anyway...how much can you change before you change the game that's being played? If MLB takes these things to their logical conclusion, they're going to start dictating where players can play, that you can reenter after being removed from the game, having two, three, four...nine DHs. I mean, if one DH is great, then clearly nine is freaking awesome right?!?! Who wants to watch some slap hitting middle infielder hit? Or a catcher that can't hit his weight. Who wants to watch Pedro Alvarez play the field? We could even start using courtesy runners!

If you're going to start extras with a runner on second, why not just put him on third? Start with a runner on third and one out. A sac fly and the game is over. No more 18 inning marathons, because more baseball is bad for the game or something.

Rob Manfred is doing all he can to ruin the greatest game on earth.

Those are my two cents...or maybe four cents.

It's time we make you the commissioner. The rule changes going back to the DH in '73 haven't made the game better in any way.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

As much as I love watching baseball I don't watch extra innings now. The ghost runner is not baseball and it's not what I "signed up" for. If the Pirates win in extra innings, they didn't earn it. And if they lose in extra innings, it was a farce anyway. To me the game ends after 9 innings before the rules change.

I realize that if this and other new rules remain in effect, future generations will know no other way of playing the game. It will be entirely normal to them. The problem is that this is a shift in marketing strategy to market the game to fans who don't have a deep interest in the game and just prefer it ends ASAP. Those same casual fans could just as easily lose interest in baseball. When you ignore your hardcore fans who truly love the game and go for a different audience, it could be a mistake.