Dan Straily DFAed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Dan Straily DFAed

Post by Bobster21 »

They have a week to trade or release him. I suspect they'll receive some trade offers from teams who want him and won't take the chance that he will sign with someone else if he ends up getting released. He'd be a nice fit in the Pirates rotation.
SteadyFreddy

Dan Straily DFAed

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Don’t need him they have Jordan Lyles as the 5th starter why would they try and upgrade the rotation at all and try to he better.
dmetz

Dan Straily DFAed

Post by dmetz »

Eerily consistent 1.5 HR/9 last 2 seasons and the marlins have a pitchers park.  I'd say extreme pitchers park, but their park factors are low partly because they themselves are tanking and not trying to win.

2017: 181 IP /4.58 FIP / 1.5 HR/9

2018: 122 IP / 5.11 FIP/ 1.5 HR/9

Meatballer.  No ceiling.

Nova got away with the same elevated HR/9 numbers the last 2 seasons but has better career numbers.

We're just bridging to Keller anyway (lolol).

Yes, I'd probably take him over Lyles as a #5 or Kingham whose ship has sailed.   I think Lyles is useful as a pen pitcher though.  The numbers are there out of the pen.

So yes. If NH wants to trade some nobody for Straily for our #5 and move Lyles to the pen and someone in the pen to the DFA pile, that's fine by me.
SammyKhalifa

Dan Straily DFAed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

an update:

Marlins released RHP Dan Straily.

It was initially reported as a DFA, but it's actually an outright release. This move comes as a surprise given that the Marlins avoided arbitration with Straily in January for $5 million, but he had a pretty rough spring and this will allow the rebuilding organization to take a better look at some of its younger, more-high-upside rotation options. Straily, 30, will try to latch on with a new club before the end of the week. He had a decent 4.12 ERA with 99 strikeouts in 122 1/3 innings (23 starts) last season, but his peripherals have been in decline for a couple of years now.

I get dmetz's point, but I think I'd still take a shot
SCBucco

Dan Straily DFAed

Post by SCBucco »

There is no chance NH will have the stones to do such a move even if its an upgrade over what we have slotted in there (Kingham or Lyles - both garbage). I would trade for him ... maybe he has a good year and then dish him off at the TDL for something better than you gave up. Makes sense, if this team is trying to win. We all know its not really trying.