Marte - CF

Polanco - RF

Bell - 1B

Cervelli - C

Frazier - 2B

"dmetz's least favorite - 3B

Hechavarria - SS

Musgrove - P

What no S-Rod sighting yet?   ;D  We need him to be the "designated" fill in when one of the INFs or OFs needs a rest!   ;D ;D With S-Rod available Clint can rest a different starter 7 out of 9 days. Bring back S-Rod to help the Bucs get the rest Clint wants to give his boys. ;D ;D ;D
INbuc

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by INbuc »

Somewhat ominous coming off back-to-back shutouts, but I hope Musgrove gets some support tonight. Though he pitched well, he was on the losing end of shutouts twice in his last three starts. Let's take advantage of Chitwood and score about 10 tonight.
DemDog

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by DemDog »

Hell's Bells they scored 3 in the 2nd. And look who drove in the 2nd run. Why is is dmetz' least favorite player. Of course he did it with a grounder to 2B.
DemDog

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by DemDog »

Aw crap! Zobrist takes Musgrove yard. 3 to 1. Musgrove only 32 pitches through 3 IP.

Wife here so time to watch Netflix. Will check in later to see how the Bucs are doing.
maher.timothy20@gm

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Somewhat lost in the doldrums of this losing streak is that the starting pitching has been spectacular.
DemDog

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by DemDog »

Back guys! Musgrove 72 pitches after 6 innings. Will he get the CG? No way! Clint will bring in Boshers to give Musgrove a rest and Boshers will blow the lead away! You watch I hope I'm wrong.
Bobster21

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

The terrible defense continues but at least it hasn't hurt so far. Musgrove was visibly upset when Frazier couldn't handle a routine grounder to 2B. Of course Musgrove made the other error when he couldn't catch a routine toss from Frazier.

Question: Why did Madden replace his starting pitcher in the 3rd inning when he couldn't throw strikes? Why didn't Madden sacrifice the game to rest his BP? Why is Madden trying to win the game instead of resting his players? Having watched Hurdle for so long, I don't understand this move.
DemDog

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by DemDog »

What did I say? Bottom of 7th and Luplow in to PH for Musgrove. Must be a tired arm that is causing Musgrove to pitch so effectively>
Bobster21

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

705159705B53340 wrote: What did I say?  Bottom of 7th and Luplow in to PH for Musgrove.  Must be a tired arm that is causing Musgrove to pitch so effectively>
Yeah, I don't get it. Musgrove is dominating. 87 pitches. His 7th inning was flawless with 2 Ks except for Frazier's error on a routine grounder. There was no rally going on when Luplow came in to PH. But the formula says it's a save situation so Musgrove cannot finish the game so Hurdle might as well go with his designated 8th and 9th inning pitchers. Managing is so easy when you just plug names into a formula and don't have to think about whether an effective pitcher should stay or go. You're always doing the other team a favor when you replace a pitcher while hoping his replacement can just do as well.
INbuc

Cubs vs Bucs 8/18 . . .

Post by INbuc »

272B222F38643E2327253E2233787A0A2D274A0 wrote: Somewhat lost in the doldrums of this losing streak is that the starting pitching has been spectacular.

I agree. This team lacks the completeness (and of course the competent management) to probably make it back into the race.

However, the Bucs' pitching will definitely have a say as to which other teams make it.