The real problem

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

The real problem

Post by SammyKhalifa »

For a while there I thought our INT scouting was our "Ace in the hole" so to speak, but it seems to be a weakness lately.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The real problem

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5C6E62627644676E6366696E0F0 wrote: I don't know if it was a GOOD idea, but it was an interesting outside-the-box idea.

Correct. Better wording. It was a risk that didn't pan out. I was big on ZVR too. I loved all the write ups about him.
CTBucco

The real problem

Post by CTBucco »

373C34383D3C276264132A323B3C3C7D303C530 wrote: I don't know if it was a GOOD idea, but it was an interesting outside-the-box idea.

Correct.  Better wording.  It was a risk that didn't pan out.  I was big on ZVR too.  I loved all the write ups about him. 

Yeah. I was happy about that draft too. I believe that getting TOR pitchers is the hardest thing to get for budget-constrained teams. They have to be acquired as prospects, either through trade, draft, or int'l signing. I still feel that a portion of each draft needs to be spent taking high-upside fliers (mostly HS guys) that can become TOR guys.
SammyKhalifa

The real problem

Post by SammyKhalifa »

353E363A3F3E256066112830393E3E7F323E510 wrote: I don't know if it was a GOOD idea, but it was an interesting outside-the-box idea.

Correct.  Better wording.  It was a risk that didn't pan out.  I was big on ZVR too.  I loved all the write ups about him. 

Yeah. The 0% hit rate kind of put a damper on an interesting idea.
dmetz

The real problem

Post by dmetz »

In in agreement with those presenting the idea that 2013-2015 was mostly due to savvy low-cost FA moves (and the Burnett trade) that worked out incredibly well. I'm including Kang in that FA group.

He was really good at finding value in veteran AL (mostly) pitchers who needed to retool or revamp their career.

I believed and continue to believe that he's very good at finding a bullpen. I trust him completely with his judgment on BP pitchers. Even when he goes out and throws 11 million dollars at Hudson, I don't care much. We always find a way to have a good bullpen

OrlandoMerced

The real problem

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I have a hard time complaining about the Pirates' hit rate on pitching draft picks.

It would be incredibly insightful for some outlet to go through the past 15 drafts or so and calculate draft success by team, selection number, position, prospect age (college or high school) and bonus. Without those figures, I think it's hard to judge their draft success in context.

As it currently stands, the rotation is going to have to former pirate draft picks and three trade acquisitions (one being developed in house). Two other guys that I would be considered homegrown are slated to the bullpen and will likely see time in the rotation during the season (Brault and Glasnow). They will also have Kingham, Keller and to a lesser extent Holmes starting in Indy and likely able to pitch in the rotation as well. When I look at the staff, I see depth and upside, and a potentially incredible bullpen.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The real problem

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I asked about a stat sheet by teams with their draft success. I would like to see that too. It would give us a better picture compared to the competition.

So far, only Alvarez was the big bat, can't miss position player. He didn't last long, but had some very good years. But many would say he never lived up to his expectations.

After Alvarez, who is there? Only Bell sticks out to me. Others haven't made it (yet). I don't look at guys like Mercer as impact players. Meadows is my next hope, but can't declare him a good pick yet.

After watching other teams build, I would draft mostly bats with the higher picks. Build a core line up first and then go get some pitching. Maybe even use prospects to lure some pitching trades?
Tintin

The real problem

Post by Tintin »

I’m not sure if the point of the original article.

While Pirates weren’t great the last two season, there were ten teams with much worse records, and around five with records pretty close to the Pirates 153 wins (Mil, NYM, KC).

If you go back five years, we’ve got better records than most of baseball including the last two WS champions.

I guess what I’m saying is this wasn’t an issue in 2013-2015, it’s not that big an issue in 2016 if Cutch and Cole show up , it’s not that big an issue in 2017, if Kang puts the keys and Marte puts the needle down.

Our biggest issue the last two years haven’t been the farm, it’s been the veterans poor performance, injuries and poor personal decisions.

I’m not saying the drafting has been stellar or that foreign scouting has been good, I’m just saying that these aren’t the biggest issue the Bucs have had.

I think Neal is doing a decent job with the lack of resources he he has...and like much of the board, most of the fixable issues we have fall at the feet of the owner.
Ecbucs

The real problem

Post by Ecbucs »

5D607E737C767D5F7760717776120 wrote: I have a hard time complaining about the Pirates' hit rate on pitching draft picks.

It would be incredibly insightful for some outlet to go through the past 15 drafts or so and calculate draft success by team, selection number, position, prospect age (college or high school) and bonus. Without those figures, I think it's hard to judge their draft success in context.

As it currently stands, the rotation is going to have to former pirate draft picks and three trade acquisitions (one being developed in house). Two other guys that I would be considered homegrown are slated to the bullpen and will likely see time in the rotation during the season (Brault and Glasnow). They will also have Kingham, Keller and to a lesser extent Holmes starting in Indy and likely able to pitch in the rotation as well. When I look at the staff, I see depth and upside, and a potentially incredible bullpen.

Here is an article:

https://mlbdraftanalyzer.wordpress.com/

Not easy to use to compare teams though.
notes34

The real problem

Post by notes34 »

0B2D2C3B2D3D4E0 wrote: I have a hard time complaining about the Pirates' hit rate on pitching draft picks.

Here is an article:

https://mlbdraftanalyzer.wordpress.com/

Not easy to use to compare teams though.
https://mlbdraftanalyzer.wordpress.com/ ... f-players/