Trade

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Trade

Post by shedman »

033621212A1321212A2D21440 wrote: Except when blowing up leads to 77 wins or whatever because we just churn suspect after suspect rather than adding talent to them.
____-

B&B will not be happy until every last player is a LMG.
GreenWeenie

Trade

Post by GreenWeenie »

They care more about the Altoona Curve than the Pittsburgh Pirates.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

51636F6F7B496A636E6B6463020 wrote: Who will be the starting pitchers, seems we have nothing left but prospects and #5 starters.  It's going to be a long year.  Just hope we can have one deceit pitcher out of all these deals but I don't see it.  Better get someone with our #1 pick that can be a #1 fast or we will have no fans by next year.  [highlight]I've been a Pirates fan all my life but it's really getting harder by the day.[/highlight]

I agree, it's discouraging to see the team with so little talent, with hopes of competing still unknown.  But the trade of Musgrove can't have surprised anyone, and we know Frazier's leaving is imminent.  Taillon will follow, likely at the Deadline.  This isn't enjoyable.

On a side note, I got to see Bednar pitch in high school a few times.  He was a bulldog back then and I hope he continues to carry that attitude.  I think he'll be a good acquisition.

But blowing everything up for a hope for later is better than eternal mediocrity and 77 wins or whatever. 

I've been in favor of blowing it up for about three years. Adding one or two proven mediocre players every year to an organization void of young talent is a recipe for winning about 70 games. Everything had to change. The new GM was the start. He's put his people in place and now he's starting to acquire young talent, which, because of his owner, is his only option.
Javy

Trade

Post by Javy »

0C5A4C58574D5D565B4C7E59535F5752105D3E0 wrote: Who will be the starting pitchers, seems we have nothing left but prospects and #5 starters.  It's going to be a long year.  Just hope we can have one deceit pitcher out of all these deals but I don't see it.  Better get someone with our #1 pick that can be a #1 fast or we will have no fans by next year.  [highlight]I've been a Pirates fan all my life but it's really getting harder by the day.[/highlight]

I agree, it's discouraging to see the team with so little talent, with hopes of competing still unknown.  But the trade of Musgrove can't have surprised anyone, and we know Frazier's leaving is imminent.  Taillon will follow, likely at the Deadline.  This isn't enjoyable.

On a side note, I got to see Bednar pitch in high school a few times.  He was a bulldog back then and I hope he continues to carry that attitude.  I think he'll be a good acquisition.

But blowing everything up for a hope for later is better than eternal mediocrity and 77 wins or whatever. 

I've been in favor of blowing it up for about three years.  Adding one or two proven mediocre players every year to an organization void of young talent is a recipe for winning about 70 games.  Everything had to change. The new GM was the start.  He's put his people in place and now he's starting to acquire young talent, which, because of his owner, is his only option. 

The risk here, and I agree with what they are doing, is that the organizational development personnel are still a great unknown. We know that the previous regime didn't do well in that regard.

Until some of these guys go through the trials and tribulations of the minors, the new development personnel, and graduate to the ML roster, we're left hoping that things have changed.

After the previous regime's results over 10+ years, I'm patient enough to see how it goes. Time will tell if Cherington's acquisitions are good or not. If they win 70 games next year, or the year after, with what he is acquiring, it is a step in the right direction.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

173C2B245D0 wrote: Who will be the starting pitchers, seems we have nothing left but prospects and #5 starters.  It's going to be a long year.  Just hope we can have one deceit pitcher out of all these deals but I don't see it.  Better get someone with our #1 pick that can be a #1 fast or we will have no fans by next year.  [highlight]I've been a Pirates fan all my life but it's really getting harder by the day.[/highlight]

I've been in favor of blowing it up for about three years.  Adding one or two proven mediocre players every year to an organization void of young talent is a recipe for winning about 70 games.  Everything had to change. The new GM was the start.  He's put his people in place and now he's starting to acquire young talent, which, because of his owner, is his only option. 

The risk here, and I agree with what they are doing, is that the organizational development personnel are still a great unknown. We know that the previous regime didn't do well in that regard.

Until some of these guys go through the trials and tribulations of the minors, the new development personnel, and graduate to the ML roster, we're left hoping that things have changed.

After the previous regime's results over 10+ years, I'm patient enough to see how it goes. Time will tell if Cherington's acquisitions are good or not. If they win 70 games next year, or the year after, with what he is acquiring, it is a step in the right direction.

Good points, Javy. What I'm hanging onto, and is giving me hope, is that BCs talent evaluators and developmental people can't possibly be worse than Huntington's.
JollyRoger

Trade

Post by JollyRoger »

I gotta give BC an A on this trade. Musgrove was only mediocre for us and we only had a couple years of control. I would have liked to get Campusano the catcher from the Padres but we did get a catcher in Rodriguez and finally got a high upside LHP in Cruz. Padres paid a record bonus for Head and he has performed well out of the gate. I think the Pirates Farm system will be rated in the top 10 after this trade. BC has collected a ton of pitching in trades and in his only draft. We will be adding #1 Kumar Rocker in June.

The key will be in the development of these young players
SCBucco

Trade

Post by SCBucco »

694C4F4F5A714C444651230 wrote: I gotta give BC an A on this trade. Musgrove was only mediocre for us and we only had a couple years of control. I would have liked to get Campusano the catcher from the Padres but we did get a catcher in Rodriguez and finally got a high upside LHP in Cruz. Padres paid a record bonus for Head and he has performed well out of the gate. I think the Pirates Farm system will be rated in the top 10 after this trade. BC has collected a ton of pitching in trades and in his only draft. We will be adding #1 Kumar Rocker in June.

The key will be in the development of these young players

There was zero way Pittsburgh was getting Campusano from SD in this deal. SD made alot of prime moves without disturbing their four core prospects. Where BC gets a major A is getting the Muts involved and getting the C prospect which we need. Whether he becomes anything significant down the road - time will tell.

So, Frazier is on the clock. Interested in seeing what type of return that gets. Then its wait until Rocker time.
SammyKhalifa

Trade

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7767665147474B240 wrote:

So, Frazier is on the clock.  Interested in seeing what type of return that gets.  Then its wait until Rocker time.
I wonder how much scouts know or don't know about players' development during the very long off time spent in the shadows. It seems that in the past a lot of changes happen in prospect rankings heading up to the draft.
mouse

Trade

Post by mouse »

It seems there are a lot of second basemen looking for work and not too much demand. I wouldn't be surprised to see Frazier fetch very little or go untraded into the season.
ArnoldRothstein

Trade

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I've been in favor of blowing it up for about three years.

I think that it's interesting all these trades, going back to Cole and McCutchen, are happening in the offseason. The team had those strong Julys in 2016-18, that left them sorta in contention at the deadline and pretty much stopped them from blowing it up. It seems like they've decided to make sure that they're not anywhere near a wild card in July.