DemDog

Goodbye Carlos

Post by DemDog »

Here's the scoop from MLBTRs

Santana to Brewers.
CarolinaBucco

Goodbye Carlos

Post by CarolinaBucco »

In general, I don't mind trading Santana.

But I DO mind essentially giving him away to a division rival to help the Brewers win the division.

And I DO mind getting a player in return who is an 18-year-old lottery ticket ... a longshot to make it to Pittsburgh any time in the next 5 years, if ever.
Surgnbuck

Goodbye Carlos

Post by Surgnbuck »

153724393A3F38371423353539560 wrote: In general, I don't mind trading Santana.

But I DO mind essentially giving him away to a division rival to help the Brewers win the division.

And I DO mind getting a player in return who is an 18-year-old lottery ticket ... a longshot to make it to Pittsburgh any time in the next 5 years, if ever.
We're not winning the division, so does it really matter? I'm just surprised it's an 18 year old, I would have thought some sort of relief pitcher as a lottery pick.

But, whatever. It's already being called a salary dump anyways. Pirates couldn't win if they traded him for Dave Concepcion. By all looks to me, the kid they got in return is probably who they already are eyeing to be in competition to replace Hayes in a few years.
Osushawn

Goodbye Carlos

Post by Osushawn »

0321322F2C292E21023523232F400 wrote: In general, I don't mind trading Santana.

I don't mind as we weren't going anywhere with Santana and he wasn't going to re-sign so we got something from him. The kid seems like he has some above average pop and was very highly thought of from the international signing pool last year.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Goodbye Carlos

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4062716C6F6A6D62417660606C030 wrote: In general, I don't mind trading Santana.

One more reason why sending him to Milwaukee is no big deal is that he’ll likely not stay with them beyond this season.  He might help them win the division in ‘23 but he’ll probably be elsewhere in ‘24.  He may be around to torture us with another team but it won’t be as a Brewer. If Severino makes it to Pittsburgh one day, and turns out to be a contributor for a few years, the Pirates will have the last laugh.
MaineBucs

Goodbye Carlos

Post by MaineBucs »

I enjoyed watching Santana play defense. First time in a long while that the Pirates had someone at first who could scope it and consistently make the 3-6-3 double play. He always seemed to hustle and was one of the team's better (a low bar) base-runners. His hitting is about what the team should have expected when it signed him, but at this point in his career, he was really miscast as a 3-4-5 hitter.

I was looking at the Brewers' options at first earlier today and wondered if the Pirates would consider trading Santana to a Division rival. Seeing as the Pirates are pretty hopelessly out of the race, my conclusion was why not. And, as far as the return, why not a player who could have been one of the Pirates higher draft picks this year, particularly when it didn't cost any money to acquire him (team paid about $1.8 mil to sign an 18 year high school pitcher, Zander Mueth) and likely saved the team some cash (not that I am concerned about Nutting's money) regarding his salary.

The question now is will the team also trade Choi when there are not any other natural first basemen on the roster? My guess is yes. Triolo has no power, but could slide over to first when Hayes returns, and perhaps the team recalls Andujar and gives him one last shot. With the number of teams looking for OF help who can hit lefties and who will not cost much in either salary of what is traded, I assume that Joe is all but good as gone.

On my end, I am okay with this trade, and hope that there are more to follow.
Osushawn

Goodbye Carlos

Post by Osushawn »

715D5552597E495F4F3C0 wrote: I enjoyed watching Santana play defense.  First time in a long while that the Pirates had someone at first who could scope it and consistently make the 3-6-3 double play.  He always seemed to hustle and was one of the team's better (a low bar) base-runners.  His hitting is about what the team should have expected when it signed him, but at this point in his career, he was really miscast as a 3-4-5 hitter.

I was looking at the Brewers' options at first earlier today and wondered if the Pirates would consider trading Santana to a Division rival.  Seeing as the Pirates are pretty hopelessly out of the race, my conclusion was why not.  And, as far as the return, why not a player who could have been one of the Pirates higher draft picks this year, particularly when it didn't cost any money to acquire him (team paid about $1.8 mil to sign an 18 year high school pitcher, Zander Mueth) and likely saved the team some cash (not that I am concerned about Nutting's money) regarding his salary.   

The question now is will the team also trade Choi when there are not any other natural first basemen on the roster?  My guess is yes.  Triolo has no power, but could slide over to first when Hayes returns, and perhaps the team recalls Andujar and gives him one last shot.  With the number of teams looking for OF help who can hit lefties and who will not cost much in either salary of what is traded, I assume that Joe is all but good as gone.   

I really wish they would give the job to andujar for the remainder of the season and see what he can do with it.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Goodbye Carlos

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

497573756E677168060 wrote: I enjoyed watching Santana play defense.  First time in a long while that the Pirates had someone at first who could scope it and consistently make the 3-6-3 double play.  He always seemed to hustle and was one of the team's better (a low bar) base-runners.  His hitting is about what the team should have expected when it signed him, but at this point in his career, he was really miscast as a 3-4-5 hitter.

I was looking at the Brewers' options at first earlier today and wondered if the Pirates would consider trading Santana to a Division rival.  Seeing as the Pirates are pretty hopelessly out of the race, my conclusion was why not.  And, as far as the return, why not a player who could have been one of the Pirates higher draft picks this year, particularly when it didn't cost any money to acquire him (team paid about $1.8 mil to sign an 18 year high school pitcher, Zander Mueth) and likely saved the team some cash (not that I am concerned about Nutting's money) regarding his salary.   

The question now is will the team also trade Choi when there are not any other natural first basemen on the roster?  My guess is yes.  Triolo has no power, but could slide over to first when Hayes returns, and perhaps the team recalls Andujar and gives him one last shot.  With the number of teams looking for OF help who can hit lefties and who will not cost much in either salary of what is traded, I assume that Joe is all but good as gone.   

I really wish they would give the job to andujar for the remainder of the season and see what he can do with it. 

Andujar’s really hitting well in Indy so he’s earned a shot. If he does well the rest of the way then the Bucs potentially have their 1Bman for the next few years. If not, Triolo could be the guy. I’d really like to see Triolo in the line-up somewhere. I think he’s going to be a solid player.
WildwoodDave2

Goodbye Carlos

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

I feel that Santana had a positive influence on the younger Hispanic

players and we can't put a price tag on that. I also didn't realize

how good he was defensively when the Bucs got him. Wish him well

except when we play the Brewers.