Keller

Vazquez

Kela

Crick

Liriano

Burdi

Archer

Kingham

I think this is our best 25 man roster. But we're so far from this team taking the field, it's unbelievable. We have more guys injured than an NFL team. The Discovery Channel is thinking about making a spin-off of Deadliest Catch and calling it Walking the Plank--TheMost Dangerous Job in America, Wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates Jersey.

That said, injuries happen to every team, every year. There was no contingency plan. If all 25 of these guys stay healthy all year, this is probably a Wild Card team. Even a few injuries, and you're bailing water over a sinking ship.
Tintin

Here's what I want

Post by Tintin »

I agree with you partially. 13 guys (Lyles pending) on that list have been on the DL. What is your contingency for that?

There is none. You simply can’t plan for it. Major league starters aren’t going to come to Pittsburgh and be Middle relievers.
IABucFan

Here's what I want

Post by IABucFan »

35080F15080F610 wrote: I agree with you partially.  13 guys (Lyles pending) on that list have been on the DL.  What is your contingency for that?

There is none.  You simply can’t plan for it.  Major league starters aren’t going to come to Pittsburgh and be Middle relievers.

I know...I agree. It's tough. Keep everyone healthy, and we're probably a WC team, maybe contending for the division.
Tintin

Here's what I want

Post by Tintin »

7D7576415772555A340 wrote: I agree with you partially.  13 guys (Lyles pending) on that list have been on the DL.  What is your contingency for that?

There is none.  You simply can’t plan for it.  Major league starters aren’t going to come to Pittsburgh and be Middle relievers.

I know...I agree. It's tough. Keep everyone healthy, and we're probably a WC team, maybe contending for the division.

I think so. Marte getting hurt killed us.

The rest of the injuries are killing us softly.
PMike

Here's what I want

Post by PMike »

5B66617B66610F0 wrote: I agree with you partially.  13 guys (Lyles pending) on that list have been on the DL.  What is your contingency for that?

This. This exactly. And for the most part, the contingency guys that are willing to take bullpen or minor league roles (Kingham/Brault and other bullpen guys) have not been just adequate. They have pretty much been disastrous. Which has, in turn, put a ton of pressure on the remaining healthy people.
IABucFan

Here's what I want

Post by IABucFan »

How bad is it when Todd Tomczyk’s Wednesday injury update is a highlight of the week?
Ecbucs

Here's what I want

Post by Ecbucs »

1C012527294C0 wrote: I agree with you partially.  13 guys (Lyles pending) on that list have been on the DL.  What is your contingency for that?

This.  This exactly.  And for the most part, the contingency guys that are willing to take bullpen or minor league roles (Kingham/Brault and other bullpen guys) have not been just adequate.  They have pretty much been disastrous.  Which has, in turn, put a ton of pressure on the remaining healthy people.

right, you can't plan for this many injuries but you also can't expect breakouts like Bell and Stewart and comebacks like Melky.

A lot of bad things have happened to this team but there are several unexpected good performances too: Bell, Lyles, Melky and Stewart.

Overall the outfield as done pretty well (I thought it was 50-50 that Polanco could play as well as he has). Getting nothing from Kang and Chisenhall and Gonzo could have been killers but the team has somehow overcome their losses.

IMO, the Pirates must think that Brault and Kingham can do a lot better than they've shown (although I don't really know why they would think this but I'm not a professional evaluator)
Bobster21

Here's what I want

Post by Bobster21 »

694F4E594F5F2C0 wrote: I agree with you partially.  13 guys (Lyles pending) on that list have been on the DL.  What is your contingency for that?

This.  This exactly.  And for the most part, the contingency guys that are willing to take bullpen or minor league roles (Kingham/Brault and other bullpen guys) have not been just adequate.  They have pretty much been disastrous.  Which has, in turn, put a ton of pressure on the remaining healthy people.

right, you can't plan for this many injuries but you also can't expect breakouts like Bell and Stewart and comebacks like Melky.

A lot of bad things have happened to this team but there are several unexpected good performances too:  Bell, Lyles, Melky and Stewart.

Overall the outfield as done pretty well (I thought it was 50-50 that Polanco could play as well as he has).  Getting nothing from Kang and Chisenhall and Gonzo could have been killers but the team has somehow overcome their losses.

IMO, the Pirates must think that Brault and Kingham can do a lot better than they've shown (although I don't really know why they would think this but I'm not a professional evaluator)

Stewart?
Ecbucs

Here's what I want

Post by Ecbucs »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: I agree with you partially.  13 guys (Lyles pending) on that list have been on the DL.  What is your contingency for that?

A lot of bad things have happened to this team but there are several unexpected good performances too:  Bell, Lyles, Melky and Stewart.

Overall the outfield as done pretty well (I thought it was 50-50 that Polanco could play as well as he has).  Getting nothing from Kang and Chisenhall and Gonzo could have been killers but the team has somehow overcome their losses.

Stewart?

brain cramp Stewart is Reynolds.