Sign Tyler Anderson

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

pghpaulatl

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by pghpaulatl »

Just a thought with him doing well it reminds me of when we had JA Happ and let him walk and he goes on to pitch well for years and is still pitching.

What's your thoughts on signing him to a reasonable contract for a few years?

We have no lefties other than Brault with any promise near ready for the majors and I think Tyler can be a mentor and productive when the kids get here.
GermanTownship

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by GermanTownship »

Let's see how he continues before thinking of signing him to an extension. If he's pitching well after the all star break, then the front office should consider it.
bucs607179

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by bucs607179 »

67707F6776627B76637B170 wrote: Just a thought with him doing well it reminds me of when we had JA Happ and let him walk  and he goes on to pitch well for years and is still pitching.

We have no lefties other than Brault with any promise near ready for the majors and I think Tyler can be a mentor and productive when the kids get here.

Obviously every BUC fan loves the guy right now but I think our idea of reasonable and Mr. Nutting's idea of reasonable are two different animals.
WildwoodDave2

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1B392E313D3208332B322F34352C5C0 wrote: Let's see how he continues before thinking of signing him to an extension. If he's pitching well after the all star break, then the front office should consider it.
Agreed
skinnyhorse

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by skinnyhorse »

7654435C505F655E465F42595841310 wrote: Let's see how he continues before thinking of signing him to an extension. If he's pitching well after the all star break, then the front office should consider it.
No they should get it done. This guy is going to get a lot of interest if he continues to pitch like he's doing now. We can't let him get away offer him a good contract early the longer we wait the higher the cost and we know what that means.
shedman

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by shedman »

There is no such thing as a reasonable contract for Nutting. He will be dumped for more LMG's.
fjk090852-7

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I like many of us have been impressed with Anderson during this first month of the season. I think it is a greater possibility that Anderson gets moved prior to the July 30th deadline, rather than getting a contract extension. If he continues to pitch well he could bring back some prospects for this rebuild.
Bobster21

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm glad Anderson has pitched well but it's only been 5 games and his history suggests he is not as good as he's looked so far this season. I know pitching for the Rockies inflates pitching stats but, surprisingly, he pitched better at home than away in his years with Colorado. I'd worry that they would extend him and then regret it. So I'd like to see a lot more from him before deciding to extend him.
GreenWeenie

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by GreenWeenie »

7F68677F6E7A636E7B630F0 wrote: Just a thought with him doing well it reminds me of when we had JA Happ and let him walk  and he goes on to pitch well for years and is still pitching.

At 24 and 29, I want my kids to be mentored by someone else. I just do.

Bad teams. How much isn't his doing vs. how much is his doing is open for debate,

Still, I want guys who get it done.

I don't dwell on mentors. Nice when we have them. But, that's what coaches are paid to do. I want my pitchers to win baseball games. After they do that, then I'll take the gravy.
Bobster21

Sign Tyler Anderson

Post by Bobster21 »

271205050E3705050E0905600 wrote: Just a thought with him doing well it reminds me of when we had JA Happ and let him walk  and he goes on to pitch well for years and is still pitching.

At 24 and 29, I want my kids to be mentored by someone else.  I just do.

Bad teams.  How much isn't his doing vs. how much is his doing is open for debate,

Still, I want guys who get it done.

I don't dwell on mentors.  Nice when we have them.  But, that's what coaches are paid to do.  I want my pitchers to win baseball games.  After they do that, then I'll take the gravy.
I think there is value to younger pitchers getting advice from experienced pitchers who have enjoyed success. A,J. Burnett was such a pitcher. Gerrit Cole attributed advice from Verlander and Keuchel in Houston for his progression to a higher level of pitching. But I don't see Tyler Anderson's very modest, at best, career as a source of great knowledge for developing pitchers.