David Bednar

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

David Bednar

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Article in todays PG entitled " Bednar, deal him or waste him." I thought it was well written. Covered the pros and cons. How

do you guys feel?
CarolinaBucco

David Bednar

Post by CarolinaBucco »

If the Pirates are ALLEGEDLY trying to win for real next year, with all of these young guys, plus Skenes, etc., then they are going to need Bednar.

If they trade Bednar I'm sure they'll get nothing of value in return.

Novel idea ... Keep him and, oh I don't know, TRY TO WIN next year.

Related ... I'm fully prepared for the Pirates to mis-manage and mess up Skenes. If I know the Pirates, a year from now he'll probably still be in Greensboro trying to get to Altoona.

The Pirates need to leave him alone, not screw him up, and make sure he's in the MLB rotation next year on April 1. He's already the team's best pitcher RIGHT NOW ... so just leave him be and make sure he's good to go at the start of 2024.
SammyKhalifa

David Bednar

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4E6C7F626164636C4F786E6E620D0 wrote:

If they trade Bednar I'm sure they'll get nothing of value in return.

I hope they keep him too, but not sure about this. They've been historically pretty darn good at flipping closers.
Surgnbuck

David Bednar

Post by Surgnbuck »

I'll try and get the thread back on track.

I'd rather they keep him, but if they do trade him, they need a ML player, or one who is being blocked, at a minimum. No A ball guys.

This thing about having an elite closer on a losing team being a waste is just another mantra bleated over and over by the sheep following some guy on the radio.

They have THREE YEARS of control on the guy. Last I heard, being in a different herd of sheep, is 2024 is supposed to be the year this thing starts bearing fruit. If it's another year instead, they'll have TWO years of control still left.

Trading him now would be completely idiotic in my opinion unless someone paid some idiotic price to obtain him.
DemDog

David Bednar

Post by DemDog »

0D2B2C39303C2B3D355E0 wrote: I'll try and get the thread back on track.

I'd rather they keep him, but if they do trade him, they need a ML player, or one who is being blocked, at a minimum. No A ball guys.

This thing about having an elite closer on a losing team being a waste is just another mantra bleated over and over by the sheep following some guy on the radio.

They have THREE YEARS of control on the guy. Last I heard, being in a different herd of sheep, is 2024 is supposed to be the year this thing starts bearing fruit. If it's another year instead, they'll have TWO years of control still left.

Trading him now would be completely idiotic in my opinion unless someone paid some idiotic price to obtain him.

I'm with ya Surg.
MaineBucs

David Bednar

Post by MaineBucs »

I fall into the keep him camp. As Surg noted, he has 3 years of control remaining, and he will remain 'cheap through at least next year. Hopefully, 2024 can be a better year for the team and that a closer will have greater value.

While closers do sometimes emerge out of nowhere, when I look at the current roster, I don't see any pretenders who are even remotely ready to step into that role. And, a closer by committee only works if you have several players who can consistently get outs.

gileszee

David Bednar

Post by gileszee »

Keep Bednar, the Pirates need really good players and he is one. This is not the beginning of the rebuild, this should be the competitive side of that process. We shall see.