5/24 game thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

5/24 game thread

Post by skinnyhorse »

595E48404E591E126B4C464A4247054844462B0 wrote: I’m listening on the radio - error on Nova.  Brownie and Bob upset. Said Scooter should be out.  Bases loaded 1 out.

Now it’s a grand slam. 

4-0.  Bad guys. 

Our top two pitchers have each given up a GS in their last game. 
Nova with a 4.96 ERA highest among among starters, it's time to pull the plug. So far this year I've been somewhat pleased with the way Hurdle is handling this team, but he needs to move Nova to the bullpen. He reacted quickly to Kontos bad pitching totally different than last year with Watson last year, he needs to move quickly on Nova now. Also his favoritism to SRod needs to end the guy just can't hit and is a dead weight on the offense.
SCBucco

5/24 game thread

Post by SCBucco »

71696B6C6C7B6A6D707167020 wrote: I’m listening on the radio - error on Nova.  Brownie and Bob upset. Said Scooter should be out.  Bases loaded 1 out.

Now it’s a grand slam. 

4-0.  Bad guys. 

Nova with a 4.96 ERA highest among among starters, it's time to pull the plug.  So far this year I've been somewhat pleased with the way Hurdle is handling this team, but he needs to move Nova to the bullpen.  He reacted quickly to Kontos bad pitching totally different than last year with Watson last year, he needs to move quickly on Nova now.  Also his favoritism to SRod needs to end the guy just can't hit and is a dead weight on the offense.

Nova is this year's version of Liriano. I'm sure they will find a way to add someone like Hayes and Craig into the deal to find the next Drew Hutchinson. SRod had that one big year ... signed with Atlanta for a boatload for him ... got hurt ... failed and then traded back. He must have pictures of NH. He is the Pirates version of Craig Adams. Kontos ... you know my feelings on this file.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/24 game thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0D1D1C2B3D3D315E0 wrote:

Super 2 is an excuse Pittsburgh would use against.  If they are supposedly in it to win games (that is what they were spewing out months ago), then Super 2 shouldn't matter.  Meadows gives the Pirates a better chance to win than does Polanco.  Not rocket science.

McCutchen debut: 6/4/09

Walker debut: 9/1/09

Tabata debut: 6/9/10

Alvarez debut: 6/16/10

Marte debut: 7/26/12

Cole debut: 6/11/13

Polanco debut: 6/10/14

Taillon debut: 6/8/16

Bell debut: 7/8/16

All these guys were hyped and their Super 2 status was watched very carefully.  Meadows was brought up earlier than all of these guys.  Super 2 matters.  You are right, it is not rocket science.
dmetz

5/24 game thread

Post by dmetz »

All I'm insisting that they do, is NOT send a guy down to get more time in AAA while he's slugging .900 with 3 HRs, 5 XBH and 1 strikeout in 6 games.

When a guy gets that hot in that compact an amount of time, he's winning games for the team.  Maybe when marte's ready he will be cooled off.
SammyKhalifa

5/24 game thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

475F5D5A5A4D5C5B464751340 wrote: I’m listening on the radio - error on Nova.  Brownie and Bob upset. Said Scooter should be out.  Bases loaded 1 out.

Now it’s a grand slam. 

4-0.  Bad guys. 

Nova with a 4.96 ERA highest among among starters, it's time to pull the plug.  So far this year I've been somewhat pleased with the way Hurdle is handling this team, but he needs to move Nova to the bullpen.  He reacted quickly to Kontos bad pitching totally different than last year with Watson last year, he needs to move quickly on Nova now.  Also his favoritism to SRod needs to end the guy just can't hit and is a dead weight on the offense.

I haven't been in love with Nova either but who else? Brault isn't the enswer.
notes34

5/24 game thread

Post by notes34 »

063438382C1E3D34393C3334550 wrote: I’m listening on the radio - error on Nova.  Brownie and Bob upset. Said Scooter should be out.  Bases loaded 1 out.

Now it’s a grand slam. 

4-0.  Bad guys. 

I haven't been in love with Nova either but who else?  Brault isn't the enswer.

Yeah, I don't know who else either. He will throw some stinkers for sure, but who are you replacing him with? If Glasnow where ready for the role by all means but he's not so?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/24 game thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am not saying Nova has been great, but his numbers aren't very accurate, especially his ERA. He has had some bad fielding behind him. He has had three errors himself that led to runs. And even some other plays that weren't recorded as errors (two tipped gloves I remember).

His five unearned runs should be even higher. The bullpen let his stranded runners score too. I would think he leads the team in that category too.
MaineBucs

5/24 game thread

Post by MaineBucs »

1) Meadows. Meadows obviously stays at this point until Marte is ready to go again. If Meadows continues to play at his current level, he should stay longer after Marte returns. I know it is a bit of a marvel idea in Pittsburgh, but having 4 real outfielders on a team is not necessarily a bad thing. That said, I doubt Meadows can continue at anywhere near his current pace.

2) Polanco. Polanco should have a lesser role. He should have to earn playing time by producing. He should bat lower in the order and other players should see time in RF.

3) Bell. Bell, hopefully, is a big part of the team's future and should receive the bulk of playing time at first. That said, if Osuna remains with the major league team, he should be receiving at least 2 starts per week, and at least one, if not both, of those should be at first.

4) S-Rod is valuable because of his versatility. That said, Hurdle does need to better limit the number of AB's he receives against righties. I know the starting pitching is struggling to go deep into games, but none of the relievers appear to be overworked, and Kontos appears to have been dispatched to pitching the 7th when the team is down by 3+ runs. I would like to see the Bucs revert to a 5 man bench.

5) Osuna. If Osuna can play 3rd with some level of efficiency, the Bucs should give him a start there from time to time. Otherwise, send him to the minors and let him play 3rd every day to see if he can.

Disappointing series against the Reds. Hard to win when you are hitting solo or two run homers and the other team is hitting grannies.

Lastly, I errantly recorded the Reds feed for the 1st two games and for the 3rd game, only a Reds feed was available. It was good listening to the Reds' announcers and seeing them give credit to the Pirates when credit was due and for offering a respectful critique as well as earned praise for the performances by the Reds' players. Next time the Reds play the Pirates I may deliberately catch their feed of the game instead of the Bucs. Block has lost all ability to judge when a hit is likely a home run until it is already long over the fence.
Bobster21

5/24 game thread

Post by Bobster21 »

1E323A3D3611263020530 wrote: 1)  Meadows.  Meadows obviously stays at this point until Marte is ready to go again.  If Meadows continues to play at his current level, he should stay longer after Marte returns.  I know it is a bit of a marvel idea in Pittsburgh, but having 4 real outfielders on a team is not necessarily a bad thing.  That said, I doubt Meadows can continue at anywhere near his current pace.

2)    Polanco.  Polanco should have a lesser role.  He should have to earn playing time by producing.  He should bat lower in the order and other players should see time in RF.

3)  Bell.   Bell, hopefully, is a big part of the team's future and should receive the bulk of playing time at first.   That said, if Osuna remains with the major league team, he should be receiving at least 2 starts per week, and at least one, if not both, of those should be at first.

4)  S-Rod is valuable because of his versatility.  That said, Hurdle does need to better limit the number of AB's he receives against righties.   I know the starting pitching is struggling to go deep into games, but none of the relievers appear to be overworked, and Kontos appears to have been dispatched to pitching the 7th when the team is down by 3+ runs.  I would like to see the Bucs revert to a 5 man bench.

5)  Osuna.  If Osuna can play 3rd with some level of efficiency, the Bucs should give him a start there from time to time.  Otherwise, send him to the minors and let him play 3rd every day to see if he can.      

Disappointing series against the Reds.  Hard to win when you are hitting solo or two run homers and the other team is hitting grannies. 

Lastly, I errantly recorded the Reds feed for the 1st two games and for the 3rd game, only a Reds feed was available.   It was good listening to the Reds' announcers and seeing them give credit to the Pirates when credit was due and for offering a respectful critique as well as earned praise for the performances by the Reds' players.   Next time the Reds play the Pirates I may deliberately catch their feed of the game instead of the Bucs.  Block has lost all ability to judge when a hit is likely a home run until it is already long over the fence.
I don't think even Babe Ruth could have maintained the pace Meadows is on. But it's fun while it lasts.

I also enjoy the Reds broadcasters. They're always very professional and give credit to the other team. It would seem that that should be the standard. But then there is the Nats broadcast team that constantly praises their players while subtly putting down the opponents. As for Block, I can't stand him. He never stops talking and goes on boring and/or unfunny rants just to continue talking. I've also noticed a change in the color guys' comments when Block is doing PBP. Greg Brown will stop talking and allow a few seconds of silence and then Walk, Blass or Wehner can begin a subject by saying what they were thinking about. But Block feels like he has to draw out their comments so he constantly babbles and then asks their take on what he's saying. So Walk, Blass and Wehner are always reacting to Block's silliness or uninteresting comments rather than raising interesting points of their own, as they are able to do with Brown.
rucker59@gmail.com

5/24 game thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: 1)  Meadows.  Meadows obviously stays at this point until Marte is ready to go again.  If Meadows continues to play at his current level, he should stay longer after Marte returns.  I know it is a bit of a marvel idea in Pittsburgh, but having 4 real outfielders on a team is not necessarily a bad thing.  That said, I doubt Meadows can continue at anywhere near his current pace.

2)    Polanco.  Polanco should have a lesser role.  He should have to earn playing time by producing.  He should bat lower in the order and other players should see time in RF.

3)  Bell.   Bell, hopefully, is a big part of the team's future and should receive the bulk of playing time at first.   That said, if Osuna remains with the major league team, he should be receiving at least 2 starts per week, and at least one, if not both, of those should be at first.

4)  S-Rod is valuable because of his versatility.  That said, Hurdle does need to better limit the number of AB's he receives against righties.   I know the starting pitching is struggling to go deep into games, but none of the relievers appear to be overworked, and Kontos appears to have been dispatched to pitching the 7th when the team is down by 3+ runs.  I would like to see the Bucs revert to a 5 man bench.

5)  Osuna.  If Osuna can play 3rd with some level of efficiency, the Bucs should give him a start there from time to time.  Otherwise, send him to the minors and let him play 3rd every day to see if he can.      

Disappointing series against the Reds.  Hard to win when you are hitting solo or two run homers and the other team is hitting grannies. 

Lastly, I errantly recorded the Reds feed for the 1st two games and for the 3rd game, only a Reds feed was available.   It was good listening to the Reds' announcers and seeing them give credit to the Pirates when credit was due and for offering a respectful critique as well as earned praise for the performances by the Reds' players.   Next time the Reds play the Pirates I may deliberately catch their feed of the game instead of the Bucs.  Block has lost all ability to judge when a hit is likely a home run until it is already long over the fence.
I don't think even Babe Ruth could have maintained the pace Meadows is on. But it's fun while it lasts.

I also enjoy the Reds broadcasters. They're always very professional and give credit to the other team. It would seem that that should be the standard. But then there is the Nats broadcast team that constantly praises their players while subtly putting down the opponents. As for Block, I can't stand him. He never stops talking and goes on boring and/or unfunny rants just to continue talking. I've also noticed a change in the color guys' comments when Block is doing PBP. Greg Brown will stop talking and allow a few seconds of silence and then Walk, Blass or Wehner can begin a subject by saying what they were thinking about. But Block feels like he has to draw out their comments so he constantly babbles and then asks their take on what he's saying. So Walk, Blass and Wehner are always reacting to Block's silliness or uninteresting comments rather than raising interesting points of their own, as they are able to do with Brown.   

I think Joe is getting better. But he can be over the top.

Joe, out of the blue: “so what’s the better name for a pitcher, Bob Walk or Homer Bailey?”

Bob: a few moments of silence and then he laughs and says “Bob Walk of course”.

Corny, dumb, not connected to anything being talked about, but I have to admit I chuckled. I guess his non-stop talking is wearing me down.