Game seven

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JulianJay

Game seven

Post by JulianJay »

Watched 1971 game 7, what I saw.

1] no batting gloves so no stepping out of batters box to re-adjust after EVERY pitch. Some batters never even left the box between pitches.

2] Several close plays at bases. Players not arguing, game not held up while teams decided whether to challenge...oh wait...no replay so teams just accepted umpire calls, even the dreaded "

checked swing" calls. No beefing, no appealing to base umps.

3] Steve hits the ground trying make play and no manager, coach or trainer came out to check. Just got back on mound abd pitched

4]pitcher throws ball which bounces in dirt [can even see dirt spray] catcher throws ball back to pitcher who keeps using. Even after ground balls,etc...just goes back to use.

5]They just played ball. Actually seemed as if they were enjoying the competition

6] Just how I remember it was when I first loved the game.
bucs607179

Game seven

Post by bucs607179 »

I should watch again. All I remember was being scared to death. I was a youngster and really wanted to have the celebration. I remember my Mom's boyfriend kindly driving us down to the Point. So much fun with all the horns beeping and then running around downtown was great. Sadly witnessed some nasty stuff that was disgraceful. Done by punks looking to take advantage of the situation and positive they couldn't care less about the BUCS.
bucs607179

Game seven

Post by bucs607179 »

re-adjust after EVERY pitch

DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!
iwatch

Game seven

Post by iwatch »

I watched, for my first time ever, a replay Game 7 of the 1960 Series. My first memories of the Bucs are from the 1969/70 time frame. I was struck by these things:

A) how athletically blessed Clemente appeared compared to the other guys,

B) how close Hal Smith was to striking out on that check swing in the 8th inning ( I never knew that he had almost swung like that; it actually scared me a bit ),

C) how quickly pitching changes occurred,

D) hw ridiculous the Bob Prince interview of Maz was,

E) what an absolute bomb Smith hit

And

F) how awesome the Yankees lineup was. I knew this was perhaps the greatest upset in the history of baseball but that lineup was formidable. No matter what these modern day experts say, neither Fisk nor Joe Carter nor Kirk Gibson hit a more dramatic, exciting HR than Maz. The most awesome WS moment of all time.

That was a joy to watch.

And, if that Bing Crosby story is true..
GreenWeenie

Game seven

Post by GreenWeenie »

0A140217000B630 wrote: I watched, for my first time ever, a replay Game 7 of the 1960 Series. My first memories of the Bucs are from the 1969/70 time frame. I was struck by these things:

B) how close Hal Smith was to striking out on that check swing in the 8th inning ( I never knew that he had almost swung like that; it actually scared me a bit ),

And

F) how awesome the Yankees lineup was. I knew this was perhaps the greatest upset in the history of baseball but that lineup was formidable. No matter what these modern day experts say, neither Fisk nor Joe Carter nor Kirk Gibson hit a more dramatic, exciting HR than Maz. The most awesome WS moment of all time.

That was a joy to watch.

I know a guy- Shed knows him, too- who used to crow over and over again about Momentous Mike McKenry's 3-run blast on 7/8/11.

I agree with you re Maz' HR. But, I think the homer most mentioned with his isn't those, or Bucky Dent's. It was Bobby Thompson's. Doesn't matter.
Bobster21

Game seven

Post by Bobster21 »

1A2F3838330A38383334385D0 wrote: I watched, for my first time ever, a replay Game 7 of the 1960 Series. My first memories of the Bucs are from the 1969/70 time frame. I was struck by these things:

And

That was a joy to watch.

I know a guy- Shed knows him, too- who used to crow over and over again about Momentous Mike McKenry's 3-run blast on 7/8/11.

I agree with you re Maz' HR.  But, I think the homer most mentioned with his isn't those, or Bucky Dent's. It was Bobby Thompson's.  Doesn't matter. 
Those were all very exciting HRs but lacked the momentous occasion of the 7th game of a WS. Dent's was in the the 7th inning of the extra regular season game to send NY into the playoff's. Thomson's was also in the final game of the regular season to send the Giants to the WS and was a walk-off. But all that HR got them was the chance to lose the WS to the Yankees 4 games to 2. Thomson hit .238 in the series with no HRs and 2 RBIs. He was basically a non factor. Fisk hit a dramatic 12th inning walk-off HR to win game 6 and force a game 7. Which his team lost. Kirk Gibson had his dramatic walk off HR in game 1 of the 1988 WS. But it was just game 1 with a lot left to play. Joe Cater hit a walk-off WS winning HR in 1993. But it was game 6 so his team could have afforded to lose the game and still come back the next day. Maz is the only one to win a WS with a walk-off 7th game HR when there is no tomorrow for the loser.
GreenWeenie

Game seven

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree (2,)

Even IF another walkoff HR is to be hit in a Game 7 of the WS, it would be difficult to find a similar situation where the winning team was as big an underdog, and it was decades since the previous championship.

That written, you don't get to the WS unless you win those earlier rounds. So, the situations might be similar, but the stakes are what are more different than anything.

A WS championship is the biggest stake there is.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Game seven

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: I watched, for my first time ever, a replay Game 7 of the 1960 Series. My first memories of the Bucs are from the 1969/70 time frame. I was struck by these things:

And

That was a joy to watch.

I agree with you re Maz' HR.  But, I think the homer most mentioned with his isn't those, or Bucky Dent's. It was Bobby Thompson's.  Doesn't matter. 
Those were all very exciting HRs but lacked the momentous occasion of the 7th game of a WS. Dent's was in the the 7th inning of the extra regular season game to send NY into the playoff's. Thomson's was also in the final game of the regular season to send the Giants to the WS and was a walk-off. But all that HR got them was the chance to lose the WS to the Yankees 4 games to 2. Thomson hit .238 in the series with no HRs and 2 RBIs. He was basically a non factor. Fisk hit a dramatic 12th inning walk-off HR to win game 6 and force a game 7. Which his team lost. Kirk Gibson had his dramatic walk off HR in game 1 of the 1988 WS. But it was just game 1 with a lot left to play. Joe Cater hit a walk-off WS winning HR in 1993. But it was game 6 so his team could have afforded to lose the game and still come back the next day. Maz is the only one to win a WS with a walk-off 7th game HR when there is no tomorrow for the loser.   

Thomson's HR has the legs it does because he played for a New York team, it happened in New York, and it happened during a period that was perhaps baseball's greatest era, that just happened to be dominated by three New York teams. If a Reds or Phillies player had done what he did, it would hardly get the attention it still does.  Baseball is a very New York-centric sport.  It always has been.  The Ken Burns documentary illustrated that throughout.  But any logically-thinking person would conclude that Mazeroski's HR was the greatest in history.  There really is no argument.
Ecbucs

Game seven

Post by Ecbucs »

547974656273642427160 wrote: I watched, for my first time ever, a replay Game 7 of the 1960 Series. My first memories of the Bucs are from the 1969/70 time frame. I was struck by these things:

And

That was a joy to watch.

it became public later but it turned out that Thompson and other Giants players knew what pitch was coming too. They were the Astros before the Astros existed.