What’s up with Kela?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

What’s up with Kela?

Post by JollyRoger »

Besides getting hammered for 3 HR’s in 1 inning, I read somewhere that he would be declining interviews from the media.

Wonder what is going on?
JollyRoger

What’s up with Kela?

Post by JollyRoger »

5D787B7B6E4578707265170 wrote: Besides getting hammered for 3 HR’s in 1 inning, I read somewhere that he would be declining interviews from the media.

Wonder what is going on?
Never mind. He gave an interview today. Must have been false information
maher.timothy20@gm

What’s up with Kela?

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

It's not false. He announced last week that he wouldn't be speaking to the media this year, which I guess is a thing players can do. Not sure why he gave an interview now. Maybe he's making an exception for spring training.
maher.timothy20@gm

What’s up with Kela?

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

But yes, he got smacked around good today. Three home runs, and they would have been upper deck shots if they had upper decks in spring training.
fjk090852-7

What’s up with Kela?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Kela had a tough spring training, and he continues to struggle early this season. I hope he is not hurt, but right now whenever he comes into pitch a lead is not safe.
PMike

What’s up with Kela?

Post by PMike »

5F5352090009010C0B140E390 wrote: Kela had a tough spring training, and he continues to struggle early this season. I hope he is not hurt, but right now whenever he comes into pitch a lead is not safe.

Kela is throwing a lot of great pitches and a few absolutely terrible pitches. His terrible pitches are coming when he is ahead in the count and they are getting crushed. The 0-2 double he gave up last night was abysmal. Two great pitches, then a curveball up in the zone while Cervelli was calling for it in the dirt. He missed location by 4 feet!
OrlandoMerced

What’s up with Kela?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

He stinks right now. RP performance is extremely volatile year to year, the team has to be ready to move him out of a leverage role and make him earn back a late inning role in the bullpen. Luckily they do still have Crick, and Rodriguez has had some clean outings. More importantly, Burdi has looked like a late inning guy this year. Pulling a back end BP piece out your ass every year is the NH special
Bobster21

What’s up with Kela?

Post by Bobster21 »

18253B363933381A3225343233570 wrote: He stinks right now. RP performance is extremely volatile year to year, the team has to be ready to move him out of a leverage role and make him earn back a late inning role in the bullpen. Luckily they do still have Crick, and Rodriguez has had some clean outings. More importantly, Burdi has looked like a late inning guy this year. Pulling a back end BP piece  out your ass every year is the NH special
Yes, Kela had an outstanding rookie year in 2015 which he followed up with a very bad 2016 (6.09 ERA). Then he had a very good 2017 but only so-so (3.44 ERA) with the Rangers last year when the Bucs acquired him on 7/31. He pitched well for the Pirates the 2 months they had him (Aug, Sept) but now looks bad again. I think, as Orlando Merced said, we have to recognize the inconsistency of many relievers. Kela has flip-flopped from good to bad to mediocre to good to bad now so it's quite possible he's not a top reliever just having a few bad games. I think we should just be happy whenever he has a good outing and not count on him to lock down the 8th inning on a regular basis. I hope Hurdle addresses the situation but he seems to prefer to plug names into a formula and call it a day. :(
SammyKhalifa

What’s up with Kela?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He's also very much not a March/April (or September) pitcher:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... onth::none

steve49

What’s up with Kela?

Post by steve49 »

524F6B6967020 wrote: Kela had a tough spring training, and he continues to struggle early this season. I hope he is not hurt, but right now whenever he comes into pitch a lead is not safe.

Kela is throwing a lot of great pitches and a few absolutely terrible pitches.  His terrible pitches are coming when he is ahead in the count and they are getting crushed.  The 0-2 double he gave up last night was abysmal.  Two great pitches, then a curveball up in the zone while Cervelli was calling for it in the dirt.  He missed location by 4 feet!

I was going to post similar. He has plenty of velocity and movement , just here and there making some horrible pitches.