Reds v Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Reds v Pirates

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I was starting to get steamed about the Reds embarrassing Bob Nutting and his lovable band of under-the-radar Pirates in the Hot Stove season. There is no doubt the Reds smashed the Pirates in the off season. The temptation is to assume the Reds are the better team, but are they?

I thought it might be fun to think of the Pirates verses it’s division foes. And with the Reds still looking for more moves, let’s start with the Pirates verses Reds.

The question is simple, in a 19 game series who wins? The Pirates need to win series to win on the season. I think a lot of people are thinking the Pirates can’t compete with the NLC. Can they?

Despite the Reds off season I still give the edge to the Pirates. I think they’ll win 11 or 12, a reasonable expectation.

I give the Pirates pitching staff the edge despite all the additions by the Reds. Both starters and relievers.

Outfield, I think the Pirates are slightly better. The Reds acquisitions look good, but if Gregory Polanco comes back and picks up where he left off, I pick the Pirates.

Infield, definitely the Reds.

Catcher, unless a trade happens for the Reds, definitely the Pirates.

Worse for the Reds, a bunch of FAs hit the market after this season. 2020 and beyond is full of questions.

Give Cinci credit for going “all in” this off season. But I don’t think it’s money well spent.
mouse

Reds v Pirates

Post by mouse »

This is a really interesting poll question and 10 is a perfect number to use. As it stands right now, I went Pittsburgh (I don't see them winning 11 or 12, though). If the Reds get Realmuto that would make a difference. Often, when teams are compiled of free agents, things don't mesh. I'm counting on that to give the Pirates the edge.
SammyKhalifa

Reds v Pirates

Post by SammyKhalifa »

This is not discounting all of the things the Reds have done to improve. I just think the Pirates are still thiiiiiiiiiis much better (holds thumb and forefinger about a cm apart).
notes34

Reds v Pirates

Post by notes34 »

77756F697F1A0 wrote: This is a really interesting poll question and 10 is a perfect number to use. As it stands right now, I went Pittsburgh (I don't see them winning 11 or 12, though). If the Reds get Realmuto that would make a difference. Often, when teams are compiled of free agents, things don't mesh. I'm counting on that to give the Pirates the edge.
But talent matters and their offense is much better than the Pirates. The SP will be the key. If Gray bounces back, I think the Reds are much better. Also if they get Realmuto that will make a difference. Currently the Pirates are projected to win 78.5 games and the Reds 77.
OrlandoMerced

Reds v Pirates

Post by OrlandoMerced »

The Reds are a joke. This is a desperation play on their part, they have been a 95 loss team for 4 straight years and had to do something as the only impact prospect in their system likely to make a debut soon is Senzel. They snatched up a bunch of washouts from WSH, LA and NYY. They also dealt a potential breakout prospect in Jeter Downs for the luxury of dumping Bailey's contract.

I'm also pissed the Pirates haven't upgraded at shortstop. But this Reds' play is exactly what the Padres did a couple of years ago as they were trying to break out of the doldrums. All it did was reset the clock on the rebuild. This maybe gives the Reds some pieces to dump at the deadline this year.
CTBucco

Reds v Pirates

Post by CTBucco »

I think the Bucs will match up pretty well with the Reds. Gennett and Votto are their only lefty bats while the Bucs will roll out 5 RHSPs. I'm assuming Kemp and Puig will start ahead of Schebler and Winker most of the time with Ervin in CF. They have more SP depth for the moment (pending Keller's June promotion). I still give the Bucs the edge and will

From a long term perspective, the Reds moves aren't great. I think the Gray trade was smart but made more risky with the size of contract they gave him. And I don't think putting him in their homer-friendly home park is good.
notes34

Reds v Pirates

Post by notes34 »

5D607E737C767D5F7760717776120 wrote: The Reds are a joke. This is a desperation play on their part, they have been a 95 loss team for 4 straight years and had to do something as the only impact prospect in their system likely to make a debut soon is Senzel. They snatched up a bunch of washouts from WSH, LA and NYY. They also dealt a potential breakout prospect in Jeter Downs for the luxury of dumping Bailey's contract.

I'm also pissed the Pirates haven't upgraded at shortstop. But this Reds' play is exactly what the Padres did a couple of years ago as they were trying to break out of the doldrums. All it did was reset the clock on the rebuild. This maybe gives the Reds some pieces to dump at the deadline this year.
So Alex Wood is a washout from LA? He would still slot into at least the middle of our rotation.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... al02.shtml

Puig too? He would one of our most productive bats. He was a 2.7 WAR player last year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ya01.shtml

Kemp will be a part time player but is still productive.

I have no idea what to expect from Gray, but if a change of scenery is what he needed???

I'm not saying they will be great now or the even in the long term but they got some decent players that will be around for a while.
rucker59@gmail.com

Reds v Pirates

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

535249584E0E093D0 wrote: The Reds are a joke. This is a desperation play on their part, they have been a 95 loss team for 4 straight years and had to do something as the only impact prospect in their system likely to make a debut soon is Senzel. They snatched up a bunch of washouts from WSH, LA and NYY. They also dealt a potential breakout prospect in Jeter Downs for the luxury of dumping Bailey's contract.

So Alex Wood is a washout from LA? He would still slot into at least the middle of our rotation.

Puig too? He would one of our most productive bats. He was a 2.7 WAR player last year.

I have no idea what to expect from Gray, but if a change of scenery is what he needed???

I'm not saying they will be great now or the even in the long term but they got some decent players that will be around for a while.
I think the Reds are better (they gotta be!) but $130M payroll and a bunch of prospects leaving the system make me question the Reds sanity.

notes34

Reds v Pirates

Post by notes34 »

2F283E36382F68641D3A303C3431733E32305D0 wrote: The Reds are a joke. This is a desperation play on their part, they have been a 95 loss team for 4 straight years and had to do something as the only impact prospect in their system likely to make a debut soon is Senzel. They snatched up a bunch of washouts from WSH, LA and NYY. They also dealt a potential breakout prospect in Jeter Downs for the luxury of dumping Bailey's contract.

I think the Reds are better (they gotta be!) but $130M payroll and a bunch of prospects leaving the system make me question the Reds sanity. 

Yeah for sure. I don't think these moves make them great, but that wasn't question. The question is are they now better than the Buc's. I think it's really close.
OrlandoMerced

Reds v Pirates

Post by OrlandoMerced »

The Reds are better than the Pirates assuming that Suarez and Gennett perform like MVP candidates again, and somehow three middling pitchers improve upon moving to one of the most offensive friendly home parks in all of baseball. Roark, Wood and Gray are all improvements to what the Reds would have had in the rotation, but this is the equivalent of adding three Mike Leakes to your rotation. It's great that you can plop these guys in there and know your going to get 5 pretty good innings, but you don't want a rotation full of Mike Leakes when you have no bullpen. That is why you have to look at the totality of the roster, yeah, any of these Reds guys would make the Pirates' rotation in the 5 spot, but the strength of the Pirates rotation is that they can comfortably hand the game over to the bullpen anytime into the 6th inning.