3-19 Game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

3-19 Game

Post by MaineBucs »

I typically don't check in on spring training stats too much. That said, I did take a look at the box score from the Pirates 3-1 victory over the Tigers.

The Pirates faced 4 Tiger pitchers who have about 15 ML victories between them. The Bucs also started their opening day line-up. I don't know what the Tiger pitchers were throwing, how the umpires were calling the game, or the quality of the after game spread in the club-house, but the Bucs struck out 14 times in their 8 innings of at-bats.

In short, not very encouraging.
Bobster21

3-19 Game

Post by Bobster21 »

18343C3B3017203626550 wrote: I typically don't check in on spring training stats too much.  That said, I did take a look at the box score from the Pirates 3-1 victory over the Tigers.

The Pirates faced 4 Tiger pitchers who have about 15 ML victories between them.  The Bucs also started their opening day line-up.  I don't know what the Tiger pitchers were throwing, how the umpires were calling the game, or the quality of the after game spread in the club-house, but the Bucs struck out 14 times in their 8 innings of at-bats. 

Or to put a positive spin on it, they're already in mid-season form! :D :D :D
CarolinaBucco

3-19 Game

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Reality: This team isn't going to be good.

Compared to the rest of the NL Central, the Pirates really have no strengths.

They are entering a gunfight with a plastic knife.
DemDog

3-19 Game

Post by DemDog »

With all the negativity from many of the fans, duly earned I might say, there is one positive from yesterday's win against the Tigers. The Bucs beat a lineup they should beat every time out. And while they did not slug out the win they at least did enough to win.
PMike

3-19 Game

Post by PMike »

557971767D5A6D7B6B180 wrote: I typically don't check in on spring training stats too much.  That said, I did take a look at the box score from the Pirates 3-1 victory over the Tigers.

The Pirates faced 4 Tiger pitchers who have about 15 ML victories between them.  The Bucs also started their opening day line-up.  I don't know what the Tiger pitchers were throwing, how the umpires were calling the game, or the quality of the after game spread in the club-house, but the Bucs struck out 14 times in their 8 innings of at-bats. 

They were talking about the weather being sort of bad. I don't know what it was really like, but there was a concern about weather early in the day.
SammyKhalifa

3-19 Game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

They're like .500ish through the Spring. The other teams have played against our scrubs just as often as we have against theirs.
OrlandoMerced

3-19 Game

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I might be following a different team than everyone else is.

The top three hitters in the lineup are slashing a combined .368/.429/.776 in 84 plate appearances this spring. There was a point last year where Dickerson, Marte and Polanco were carrying the team, point is, you need your best players to be good and your marginal ones finding ways to help. If Frazier is the player he was in the second half and Dickerson and Marte carryover their 2018 years, the offense is fine. If your complimentary cast in the lineup includes guys like Kang, Bell and Cervelli, you are in good shape.

Archer and Taillon look like top of the rotation pitchers coming out of camp, Williams and Musgrove round out probably the best rotation in the division. And they also have the best closer in the division.
SammyKhalifa

3-19 Game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5469777A757F74567E69787E7F1B0 wrote: I might be following a different team than everyone else is.

The top three hitters in the lineup are slashing a combined .368/.429/.776 in 84 plate appearances this spring. There was a point last year where Dickerson, Marte and Polanco were carrying the team, point is, you need your best players to be good and your marginal ones finding ways to help. If Frazier is the player he was in the second half and Dickerson and Marte carryover their 2018 years, the offense is fine. If your complimentary cast in the lineup includes guys like Kang, Bell and Cervelli, you are in good shape.

Archer and Taillon look like top of the rotation pitchers coming out of camp, Williams and Musgrove round out probably the best rotation in the division. And they also have the best closer in the division.

I agree with that but I still don't know who the 5th starter is and I have lots of questions still about most of the infield.
OrlandoMerced

3-19 Game

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Kang and Gonzalez will be better defensively than Moran and Mercer were last year, and it's basically impossible for them to combine to be less productive offensively.

I think a stronger left side of the infield could make Bell's defensive deficiencies less impacting, but that is just a guess.

Most MLB teams will survive a rotating cast occupying the fifth starter role. I think folks are putting too much stock in who the starters are when the team breaks camp. Kingham will be given a 4-5 start leash to show if he's effective, if he's not, he'll be optioned and someone else will be given the chance. There are some options, I think having Holmes and Brubaker in Indy makes it likely, that should Kingham tank, someone will be ready to fill in.
dmetz

3-19 Game

Post by dmetz »

5F627C717E747F5D7562737574100 wrote: Kang and Gonzalez will be better defensively than Moran and Mercer were last year, and it's basically impossible for them to combine to be less productive offensively.

I think a stronger left side of the infield could make Bell's defensive deficiencies less impacting, but that is just a guess.

Most MLB teams will survive a rotating cast occupying the fifth starter role. I think folks are putting too much stock in who the starters are when the team breaks camp. Kingham will be given a 4-5 start leash to show if he's effective, if he's not, he'll be optioned and someone else will be given the chance. There are some options, I think having Holmes and Brubaker in Indy makes it likely, that should Kingham tank, someone will be ready to fill in.

The only thing I'll disagree with is the left side making Bell's D better. Mercer and Moran were very accurate throwers last year.    Kang and Gonzalez are going to save a bunch of runs vs Jordy and Moran.  No doubt about that.   

Will throws to 1b be more accurate?  I doubt that will be the case.   Maybe.

Sure do wish Josh Bell could learn to field or throw.   Or put up an .850ish OPS.     That would work too.   

I personally don't like his chances and hope we're looking at moving on after 2019.  Maybe he can improve on his 2017 hitting lines though?  We shall see   

I do think we will have a solid team. If we catch some breaks, a good team. unfortunately it does appear like we're in a very tough division but we're built correctly to compete. Division is full of hitters, and we've got the rotation and bullpen to match up.