Red Sox investigation .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Lecom

Red Sox investigation .

Post by Lecom »

MLB announced the Red Sox punishment for stealing signs. The Red Sox seem to have really gotten off light compared to what happened to the Astros. I guess that does not surprise me.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/22/84204023 ... ng-scandal
WildwoodDave

Red Sox investigation .

Post by WildwoodDave »

4A6365696B060 wrote: MLB announced the Red Sox punishment for stealing signs. The Red Sox seem to have really gotten off light compared to what happened to the Astros. I guess that does not surprise me.

when baseball does begin, I am wondering if the fans will be as anti-Astros as they would have been if the season had started on time.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Red Sox investigation .

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

340A0F07140C0C0727021506630 wrote: MLB announced the Red Sox punishment for stealing signs. The Red Sox seem to have really gotten off light compared to what happened to the Astros. I guess that does not surprise me.

when baseball does begin, I am wondering if the fans will be as anti-Astros as they would have been if the season had started on time.

I'm guessing they will, Dave, because fans will be anxious to watch games at parks again and will be more excited than usual to be there. The Astros players will deserve every Bronx cheer they get.
Bobster21

Red Sox investigation .

Post by Bobster21 »

2375637778627279746351767C70787D3F72110 wrote: MLB announced the Red Sox punishment for stealing signs. The Red Sox seem to have really gotten off light compared to what happened to the Astros. I guess that does not surprise me.

I'm guessing they will, Dave, because fans will be anxious to watch games at parks again and will be more excited than usual to be there.  The Astros players will deserve every Bronx cheer they get.
I see it the other way, Doc. I'm guessing the outrage will have subsided and fans will be more focused on the league starting up rather than on anti-Astros feelings. Bad feeling towards the Astros will linger a long time but I believe the time delay will act somewhat as a buffer and that sentiment towards them won't be as bad as it otherwise would have if MLB was just business as usual and everyone was primed and ready to hate the Astros. Just my guess.
Surgnbuck

Red Sox investigation .

Post by Surgnbuck »

Supposedly, the Red Sox didn't "cheat as bad" as the Astros.

So here's my thoughts. Teams continue to try and cheat, MLB plays the cat and mouse game. A friendly one, you know, like "Hoo hoo hoo! We caught you guys! Ha, nice ruse you ran, you were a toughy to catch!" Wink wink, nod nod, okay, lol, you lose a draft choice and some guy making 30K a year.

Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose get restored to good graces. Players can openly say they used PED's, and get their HOF nods.

ArnoldRothstein

Red Sox investigation .

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

64424550595542545C370 wrote:

Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose get restored to good graces. Players can openly say they used PED's, and get their HOF nods.

I'm proposing 2022cas the year for the Hall to settle all family business. Barry and Roger will be in their last years on the ballot, ARod his first, Schilling, Manny, Sheffield, Sosa might all still be on the ballot. Put them all in. The Today's Game committee votes that year. Get McGwire and Palmeiro, plus throw in Canseco with some Pioneer credit. Then have a one-time special committee on undesirables. Bring in Rose and Shoeless Joe, Cicotte and Carl Mays. Induct them all in one day, put so many up there that they have to reinforce the platform. Then in 2023, get back to electing guys based on how well they played.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Red Sox investigation .

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0A272A3B3C2D3A7A79480 wrote: MLB announced the Red Sox punishment for stealing signs. The Red Sox seem to have really gotten off light compared to what happened to the Astros. I guess that does not surprise me.

I'm guessing they will, Dave, because fans will be anxious to watch games at parks again and will be more excited than usual to be there.  The Astros players will deserve every Bronx cheer they get.
I see it the other way, Doc. I'm guessing the outrage will have subsided and fans will be more focused on the league starting up rather than on anti-Astros feelings. Bad feeling towards the Astros will linger a long time but I believe the time delay will act somewhat as a buffer and that sentiment towards them won't be as bad as it otherwise would have if MLB was just business as usual and everyone was primed and ready to hate the Astros. Just my guess. 

You could be right. But because the teams will return to a two to three week Spring Training, I see that as an opportunity for the fans to recall or be reminded of the scandal. By the end of that period, I'm thinking they'll be ready to let loose on them.