2. Bryan Reynolds (S) LF

3. Starling Marte (R) CF

4. Josh Bell (S) 1B

5. Jose Osuna (R) 3B

6. Pablo Reyes (R) RF

7. Jacob Stallings (R) C

8. Erik Gonzalez (R) SS

9. Joe Musgrove (R) P

As expected, Holmes, who wouldn't be available a few days after pitching 3+ innings last night suddenly developed a phantom injury and was replaced on the roster. Archer also IL'd and Agrazal and Urkel Merkle recalled.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by Bobster21 »

More bad defense from the MLB's team leading in errors.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by Bobster21 »

Game over in the 3rd. 6-0. And it's not as if this is a rare bad outing fore Musgrove. After a nice April, his ERA from May til now has been 5.63 and still rising after tonight. Musgrove is a relief pitcher. For his career, his ERA as a reliever is 1.19 and 4.73 as a starter prior to tonight. Of course NH is counting on another off season to transform Musgrove into a quality starter. Great plan, Neal! ::)
Ecbucs

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by Ecbucs »

6C414C5D5A4B5C1C1F2E0 wrote: Game over in the 3rd. 6-0. And it's not as if this is a rare bad outing fore Musgrove. After a nice April, his ERA from May til now has been 5.63 and still rising after tonight. Musgrove is a relief pitcher. For his career, his ERA as a reliever is 1.19 and 4.73 as a starter prior to tonight. Of course NH is counting on another off season to transform Musgrove into a quality starter. Great plan, Neal!  ::)

at one time saying Musgrove was better than Archer might have meant something.

Now it just means mediocre starter. 

It is too bad, both are very likeable players who seem to be trying their hardest but the results just aren't good.

maybe he needs to pitch up and in more.
BenM

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by BenM »

Ray is going to be the sacrificial lamb for this season. Isn't his contract up? If so, they will probably "let" him retire.
rucker59@gmail.com

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Another case of the Pirates getting bombed.  11-0 is pretty darn humiliating but we’re all getting use to this. I wonder what the owners box is like now-a-days?

I like Joe Musgrove.  I thought he had potential as a top of the rotation guy.  Not gonna happen it seems. 

Tough to have ZERO hope.
Ecbucs

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by Ecbucs »

6C4B40632E0 wrote: Ray is going to be the sacrificial lamb for this season. Isn't his contract up? If so, they will probably "let" him retire.
If Ray is only sacrificial lamb the Bucs should be laughed out of the park.
SteadyFreddy

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by SteadyFreddy »

When Hurdle was asked last night after the game about if he was concerned about his job security after going 8-29 in his last 37 games here was his response. “My focus is on doing my job not my job security. It never has been since I’ve had the opportunity to be a manager. Those are decisions that other people make. I’m 62 years old man, I’ll manage as long as people have me manage and if they don’t have me manage I’ll go home. So my job is to do everything I can to get this club to play better, to finish games and execute better.” This just sounds like a guy who is done to me and should not be managing this team moving forward. His heart is just not in it anymore and the Pirates really need to move on I feel from Hurdle sooner rather then later. He needs to go.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by Bobster21 »

The pathetic 11-1 loss was the 32nd time this season that Pirate pitching surrendered 8 or more runs. That's 32 times in 126 games. 25.4% of the time. One out of every 4 games the Pirates give up 8 or more runs!
Bobster21

Pirates vs Nats 8/21

Post by Bobster21 »

1D3A2B2F2A37083C2B2A2A374E0 wrote: When Hurdle was asked last night after the game about if he was concerned about his job security after going 8-29 in his last 37 games here was his response. “My focus is on doing my job not my job security. It never has been since I’ve had the opportunity to be a manager. Those are decisions that other people make. I’m 62 years old man, I’ll manage as long as people have me manage and if they don’t have me manage I’ll go home. So my job is to do everything I can to get this club to play better, to finish games and execute better.”  This just sounds like a guy who is done to me and should not be managing this team moving forward. His heart is just not in it anymore and the Pirates really need to move on I feel  from Hurdle sooner rather then later. He needs to go.

Actually, I think he sounds reasonable there. He can't say he's worried about getting fired even if he is. But what I find disturbing is the quote, "So my job is to do everything I can to get this club to play better, to finish games and execute better.” So I would say by his own standard that either he is a miserable failure or his team is beyond help. It's like being a kitchen worker standing in the middle of a pile of broken plates and saying "My job is to make sure the dishes don't break." :)