5/27 Game Thread Cards@Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Brewers are about to win again so the Bucs are now 5 games out of 1st place and have essentially lost 5 games in the standings in the last week with this recent 3-7 stretch. So they are still in good shape in the wildcard standings but the division outlook has really taken a big hit within the last week or so.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1B3C2D292C310E3A2D2C2C31480 wrote: Brewers are about to win again so the Bucs are now 5 games out of 1st place and have essentially lost 5 games in the standings in the last week with this recent 3-7 stretch. So they are still in good shape in the wildcard standings but the division outlook has really taken a big hit within the last week or so.

We know how quickly that can change too.

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm just glad we started Polanco over Dickerson. That makes a lot of sense.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Hey, we're significantly better than I expected. Even after the hot start, I expected us to be under .500 by Memorial Day.

We aren't. overperforming my expectations
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: Brewers are about to win again so the Bucs are now 5 games out of 1st place and have essentially lost 5 games in the standings in the last week with this recent 3-7 stretch. So they are still in good shape in the wildcard standings but the division outlook has really taken a big hit within the last week or so.

We know how quickly that can change too.

Ya it definitely can but the Pirates simply aren’t a consistent enough or good enough team yet to lose 7 of 10 games while teams like the Brewers or Cards win 7 out of 10 at the same time and they lose 5 games in the standings in 10 days. The Pirates start falling back anywhere from 7-10 games in the division that’s gonna he very difficult for them to make up and they most likely won’t make it up in all likelihood. This has been a terrible last 10 days for the Pirates, and they really can’t afford to have a stretch like this again going into June. They gotta stop the bleeding this series against the Cubs.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

I just read a story on the game today noting Taillon threw sliders in a game today for the first time. I find that shocking, however, I referenced a thread I did last month on pitch selection (stats from fangraphs) and sure enough he averaged zero sliders per game.

If the stat sheets are correct, he threw 27 sliders today, four of which resulted in strike outs. It appears Taillon was quite effective today.

Polanco and Vazquez may be ongoing frustrations, but this development with Taillon might be a real advancement moving forward. :) :) :)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Don't blame the bullpen, Clint, or Polanco among those blamed today. Simply blame the Ol' Possum for this one. Was at family reunion in Somerset Co and as things wound down there and I headed home with Mrs. Possum I turned on the game and the Bucs were up 4-1 and Taillon was doing a great job on the mound. It was just about the time that JaMo deflected the grounder that I tuned in. Things went south from there and I had to listen to it all the way home. What a disappointing loss. The bullpen just sucked big, big time today. Valezquez needs to get his crap together soon or they need to find another closer. Glasnow anybody?
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote: Brilliant move by Clint putting Sean Rod in for Frazier. Rodriguez has been horrific against right handed pitching. Plus, he already used Dickerson already today which was a waste. Not a well managed game position player wise by Clint today so far.

They were up 4-1 and put in his best defensive player for his worst. That's how Rodriguez should be used. He shouldn't have had an important at bat. The bullpen caused that meaningful at bat.

Dickerson will probably sit again this year. Hurdle has been very good playing the starters and not resting them this year. This game is on the Bullpen and their All Star Closer, not Hurdle.

I'm beginning to see why the Nationals traded Rivero.  His name change and pitching this year makes me think he has some issues that aren't physical.  He's starting to remind me of the pitcher we had a while back that had one great season and refused to through inside because Prince Fielder threatened him once he got to close.  Rivero has really done some off the wall stuff this year and I'm not just talking about his pitching.  There's nothing worse than having a closer who can't close a game out in a tough spot.  Looks like we need to find another setup man and a closer, you can't give away games like this.  It will most likely take Clint months to figure this out and by that time it will be about 8 weeks to late.  I hate being a Pirate fan.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

3D252720203726213C3D2B4E0 wrote: Brilliant move by Clint putting Sean Rod in for Frazier. Rodriguez has been horrific against right handed pitching. Plus, he already used Dickerson already today which was a waste. Not a well managed game position player wise by Clint today so far.

They were up 4-1 and put in his best defensive player for his worst. That's how Rodriguez should be used. He shouldn't have had an important at bat. The bullpen caused that meaningful at bat.

Dickerson will probably sit again this year. Hurdle has been very good playing the starters and not resting them this year. This game is on the Bullpen and their All Star Closer, not Hurdle.

I'm beginning to see why the Nationals traded Rivero.  His name change and pitching this year makes me think he has some issues that aren't physical.  He's starting to remind me of the pitcher we had a while back that had one great season and refused to throw inside because Prince Fielder threatened him once he got to close.  Rivero has really done some off the wall stuff this year and I'm not just talking about his pitching.  There's nothing worse than having a closer who can't close a game out in a tough spot.  Looks like we need to find another setup man and a closer, you can't give away games like this.  It will most likely take Clint months to figure this out and by that time it will be about 8 weeks to late.  I hate being a Pirate fan.

What was that crazy pitchers name, he actually changed it one year like Rivero has.  He bounced around after getting traded from the Pirates a couple of years and then disappeared.  One great season and done.  Just saying.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7C646661617667607D7C6A0F0 wrote: Brilliant move by Clint putting Sean Rod in for Frazier. Rodriguez has been horrific against right handed pitching. Plus, he already used Dickerson already today which was a waste. Not a well managed game position player wise by Clint today so far.
Ian Snell?

I'm beginning to see why the Nationals traded Rivero.  His name change and pitching this year makes me think he has some issues that aren't physical.  He's starting to remind me of the pitcher we had a while back that had one great season and refused to throw inside because Prince Fielder threatened him once he got to close.  Rivero has really done some off the wall stuff this year and I'm not just talking about his pitching.  There's nothing worse than having a closer who can't close a game out in a tough spot.  Looks like we need to find another setup man and a closer, you can't give away games like this.  It will most likely take Clint months to figure this out and by that time it will be about 8 weeks to late.  I hate being a Pirate fan.

What was that crazy pitchers name, he actually changed it one year like Rivero has.  He bounced around after getting traded from the Pirates a couple of years and then disappeared.  One great season and done.  Just saying.
Ian Snell?