Draft Signings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Draft Signings

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that Leiter signed with the Rangers for $7.9 million. I know a lot of people wanted the Bucs to select him #1, but I like the route Pittsburgh went with below slot for Davis, and signing all the high end high school players with some of the money they saved at #1.
SCBucco

Draft Signings

Post by SCBucco »

3E3233686168606D6A756F580 wrote: Just read that Leiter signed with the Rangers for $7.9 million. I know a lot of people wanted the Bucs to select him #1, but I like the route Pittsburgh went with below slot for Davis, and signing all the high end high school players with some of the money they saved at #1.

I was all Leiter, but said I'd be more than fine with Davis. Both were needs to the system. That said, this draft went about as well as one can expect and then some. Anyone on this board could have had a similar draft as kids fell down the boards due to potential sign ability issues. Pittsburgh hasn't shied away from this ... Josh Bell was a big example. That said, the masterful job of getting these dudes signed with the pool of allotted money. IW don't know how much left we have for Kellington, but hopefully enough to offer him slot. Now, the work begins. This draft can be totally awesome or a total bust relative to development. That is the key here.
DemDog

Draft Signings

Post by DemDog »

4A5A5B6C7A7A76190 wrote: Just read that Leiter signed with the Rangers for $7.9 million. I know a lot of people wanted the Bucs to select him #1, but I like the route Pittsburgh went with below slot for Davis, and signing all the high end high school players with some of the money they saved at #1.

I was all Leiter, but said I'd be more than fine with Davis.  Both were needs to the system.  That said, this draft went about as well as one can expect and then some.  Anyone on this board could have had a similar draft as kids fell down the boards due to potential sign ability issues.  Pittsburgh hasn't shied away from this ... Josh Bell was a big example.  That said, the masterful job of getting these dudes signed with the pool of allotted money.  IW don't know how much left we have for Kellington, but hopefully enough to offer him slot.  Now, the work begins.  This draft can be totally awesome or a total bust relative to development.  That is the key here.

We have seen evidence of what BC is doing with his deals, get young prospects at the cost of immediate winning. Your comment is the other half of what BC is trying to do with young prospects. Most of them may no be worth a hoot, but if the development of players in BC's system is valid, we will see some solid players on the MLB roster sooner than we expect.
rucker59@gmail.com

Draft Signings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

13323A133830570 wrote: Just read that Leiter signed with the Rangers for $7.9 million. I know a lot of people wanted the Bucs to select him #1, but I like the route Pittsburgh went with below slot for Davis, and signing all the high end high school players with some of the money they saved at #1.

I was all Leiter, but said I'd be more than fine with Davis.  Both were needs to the system.  That said, this draft went about as well as one can expect and then some.  Anyone on this board could have had a similar draft as kids fell down the boards due to potential sign ability issues.  Pittsburgh hasn't shied away from this ... Josh Bell was a big example.  That said, the masterful job of getting these dudes signed with the pool of allotted money.  IW don't know how much left we have for Kellington, but hopefully enough to offer him slot.  Now, the work begins.  This draft can be totally awesome or a total bust relative to development.  That is the key here.

We have seen evidence of what BC is doing with his deals, get young prospects at the cost of immediate winning.  Your comment is the other half of what BC is trying to do with young prospects.  Most of them may no be worth a hoot, but if the development of players in BC's system is valid, we will see some solid players on the MLB roster sooner than we expect. 

Agreed. And one other huge factor that has me excited: Ben is building at every level of the system. When it starts maturing into major league talent the system could be ready to sustain long time success. Hopefully, after next year, we will never again draft in tge first 20 teams, but with skillful execution the GM can fill the minors with top prospects by flipping high level veterans at the right time.

I’m thinking St Louis kind of success.

Can you imagine if the Pirates could put together a similar draft next season? That’s why I’m following the standings so closely this year: Baltimore and Texas are within reach. I’m hoping for AZ to get hot somewhere. If the Pirates could draft 1-1 or 1-2 next year, it’s going to get exciting.
Ecbucs

Draft Signings

Post by Ecbucs »

6760767E7067202C557278747C793B767A78150 wrote: Just read that Leiter signed with the Rangers for $7.9 million. I know a lot of people wanted the Bucs to select him #1, but I like the route Pittsburgh went with below slot for Davis, and signing all the high end high school players with some of the money they saved at #1.

We have seen evidence of what BC is doing with his deals, get young prospects at the cost of immediate winning.  Your comment is the other half of what BC is trying to do with young prospects.  Most of them may no be worth a hoot, but if the development of players in BC's system is valid, we will see some solid players on the MLB roster sooner than we expect. 

Agreed.  And one other huge factor that has me excited: Ben is building at every level of the system.  When it starts maturing into major league talent the system could be ready to sustain long time success.  Hopefully, after next year, we will never again draft in tge first 20 teams, but with skillful execution the GM can fill the minors with top prospects by flipping high level veterans at the right time. 

I’m thinking St Louis kind of success.

Can you imagine if the Pirates could put together a similar draft next season?  That’s why I’m following the standings so closely this year:  Baltimore and Texas are within reach.  I’m hoping for AZ to get hot somewhere. If the Pirates could draft 1-1 or 1-2 next year, it’s going to get exciting.   

yes, to me the best case scenario is to get 1-1 next year, get a high competitive balance pick and then have BC attempt to put a winning team on the field next year.

fjk090852-7

Draft Signings

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Everything seems very quiet regarding whether Kellington is going to sign. It has been a busy few days with the trades, and the signing of White and Bishop so possibly after the trade deadline tomorrow,the Pirates can finalize an agreement with Kellington before the August 1 signing deadline.
IABucFan

Draft Signings

Post by IABucFan »

18th rounder A.J. Graham signed. Still three picks left…Kellington, Corina, and Chazz Martinez. My guess is Kellington signs slightly under slot and the go a little over to get Corona.
BenM

Draft Signings

Post by BenM »

There was a lot of sports talk focused on if the Pirates would use 1-1 to take the best player on their board and Cherington was consistent in saying that his goal was to accumulate the most talent possible.

Mission accomplished.
Bobster21

Draft Signings

Post by Bobster21 »

Looking doubtful that Rocker signs with Mets after concerns about his arm.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/319 ... ources-say