Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

So it is my understanding they are bringing the game back to the Burgh today. Please let the group know your opinions and thoughts.
Osushawn

Spring Training Thread

Post by Osushawn »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: Last year they sometimes went with 13 pitchers and a 4-man bench which is problematic. They liked 13 pitchers because most of them were so bad that they needed to make frequent pitching moves every game. With the 26-man roster I expect them to start out with 13 pitchers and the normal 5-man bench. That should allow for 2 or 3 LHPs in an 8-man BP. But another change is the reliever rule of facing a minimum of 3 hitters unless the inning ends sooner. Between that and the possibility that the BP will be stronger, they may start with 8 and reduce to 7 in the BP, which would provide the luxury of a 6-man bench. I expect 2 LHPs with 7 in the BP and possibly 3 LHPs out of 8 in the pen.

Does the fact that Brault can play the field as well make this a 6 man bench? Gives them options to add another arm if needed
Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

6E5254524940564F210 wrote: Last year they sometimes went with 13 pitchers and a 4-man bench which is problematic. They liked 13 pitchers because most of them were so bad that they needed to make frequent pitching moves every game. With the 26-man roster I expect them to start out with 13 pitchers and the normal 5-man bench. That should allow for 2 or 3 LHPs in an 8-man BP. But another change is the reliever rule of facing a minimum of 3 hitters unless the inning ends sooner. Between that and the possibility that the BP will be stronger, they may start with 8 and reduce to 7 in the BP, which would provide the luxury of a 6-man bench. I expect 2 LHPs with 7 in the BP and possibly 3 LHPs out of 8 in the pen.

Does the fact that Brault can play the field as well make this a 6 man bench?  Gives them options to add another arm if needed
Only if they officially decided that Brault would be more than a pitcher. But they haven't done that. I think it's unlikely they go that route. He's a nice PHer on the 4 days between starts. But if he is in the BP he needs to be available most days to pitch if needed.
DemDog

Spring Training Thread

Post by DemDog »

1F2325233831273E500 wrote: Last year they sometimes went with 13 pitchers and a 4-man bench which is problematic. They liked 13 pitchers because most of them were so bad that they needed to make frequent pitching moves every game. With the 26-man roster I expect them to start out with 13 pitchers and the normal 5-man bench. That should allow for 2 or 3 LHPs in an 8-man BP. But another change is the reliever rule of facing a minimum of 3 hitters unless the inning ends sooner. Between that and the possibility that the BP will be stronger, they may start with 8 and reduce to 7 in the BP, which would provide the luxury of a 6-man bench. I expect 2 LHPs with 7 in the BP and possibly 3 LHPs out of 8 in the pen.

Does the fact that Brault can play the field as well make this a 6 man bench?  Gives them options to add another arm if needed

I don't know where Brault would play in the field.  When they speak about him being a two-way player I think they are talking about his hitting.  Perhaps he serves as a DH in some games against AL teams.  I need to look into what makes a two-way player under MLB rules. Here is the rule explanation per MLB Two-Way Player Rule Explanation

Now what position besides DH does Brault play?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

69484069424A2D0 wrote: Last year they sometimes went with 13 pitchers and a 4-man bench which is problematic. They liked 13 pitchers because most of them were so bad that they needed to make frequent pitching moves every game. With the 26-man roster I expect them to start out with 13 pitchers and the normal 5-man bench. That should allow for 2 or 3 LHPs in an 8-man BP. But another change is the reliever rule of facing a minimum of 3 hitters unless the inning ends sooner. Between that and the possibility that the BP will be stronger, they may start with 8 and reduce to 7 in the BP, which would provide the luxury of a 6-man bench. I expect 2 LHPs with 7 in the BP and possibly 3 LHPs out of 8 in the pen.

I don't know where Brault would play in the field.  When they speak about him being a two-way player I think they are talking about his hitting.  Perhaps he serves as a DH in some games against AL teams.  I need to look into what makes a two-way player under MLB rules.  Here is the rule explanation per MLB  Two-Way Player Rule Explanation

Now what position besides DH does Brault play?

Being lefthanded limits him, of course. In a pinch, I'd guess the easiest position for him to play would be right field, then left, and then first base. He seems athletic enough that he could play a few innings at those positions in an emergency.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

So the Pirates lost 8-4 to the Tigers today. The game was televised back to Pittsburgh so I will keep it short. My impression: Thie game was about JT Riddle who went 2for2 coupled with a walk an RBI and a run scored. He also dazzled the crowd by sliding into second base realizing no one was covering third popped up and got to third safely. JT had to open some eyes today about keeping him around. He was into the game from the start and impressed.

This was also an audition of left-handers today. Holland , Wadell, and Brault were the first three pitchers. Holland gave up a home run on his first pitch and as well as 2 earned runs and 3 hits. Not a great outing for him. Brault breezed through the inning he pitched. Kela looked good and Rodriguez not so good as he gave up a home run and some hard-hit fly balls that just missed.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

2C05030F0D600 wrote: So the Pirates lost 8-4 to the Tigers today. The game was televised back to Pittsburgh so I  will keep it short. My impression: Thie game was about JT Riddle who went 2for2 coupled with a walk an RBI and a run scored. He also dazzled the crowd by sliding into second base realizing no one was covering third popped up and got to third safely. JT had to open some eyes today about keeping him around. He was into the game from the start and impressed.

This was also an audition of left-handers today. Holland , Wadell, and Brault were the first three pitchers. Holland gave up a home run on his first pitch and as well as 2 earned runs and 3 hits. Not a great outing for him. Brault breezed through the inning he pitched. Kela looked good and Rodriguez not so good as he gave up a home run and some hard-hit fly balls that just missed.
Riddle worked the count in his first at bat. He drew a walk, but I think he saw 11 or 12 pitches. That was impressive as well.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

0-3 -1 so far. Hayes and Riddle having a decent spring so far but you have to wonder where the power is going to come from. Philidelphia today with Boston tomorrow but the weather forecast for Wednesday doesn't look good.
WildwoodDave

Spring Training Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

How has Cole Tucker looked so far? The buzz is that unless they trade Frazier, Tucker will start the season at Indy.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

56686D65766E6E6545607764010 wrote: How has Cole Tucker looked so far? The buzz is that unless they trade Frazier, Tucker will start the season at Indy.

I have only seen him play one game so hard to gauge although the game I saw him play he did have a hit. I can tell you that Cruz will soon be pushing him somewhere down the road if they keep him at short. Cruz is about as smooth as it gets. Cruz also has a cannon for an arm .