Trade Rumors

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Trade Rumors

Post by skinnyhorse »

1017061506575A630 wrote: I think we have to temper our thoughts relative to returns.  LAA dealt an all-star from last year, LaStella to Oakland for a dude not among their top 30 prospects.  There hasn't been too much movement, but I don't see any significant prospects or decent prospects being traded.  Then again, who outside of Kuhl and I guess Bell despite how bad he is playing warrants anything decent?  We will load up on international pool money.  Maybe Rodriguez can bring a decent prospect.

I would be shocked if Rodriguez brought a "decent prospect." Bell and Kuhl are about it . Frazier might bring a little something , IMO , that's about it.

If the return on LaStella transfers to Frazier, he doesn't bring much.  Rodriguez won't bring anything now.

This team is so devoid of talent . Hard to believe they traded their 2 best players (turned out to be ) for a washed up pitcher. Baz will also be good.

Now we are talking about trading players that no one wants. If you really look at the past 3 or so years , this is sick.

What's scary is NH almost got to hang on, the guy absolutely descimated us with one trade giving away the future for anyone could see a washed up pitcher.
Ecbucs

Trade Rumors

Post by Ecbucs »

392123242433222538392F4A0 wrote: I think we have to temper our thoughts relative to returns.  LAA dealt an all-star from last year, LaStella to Oakland for a dude not among their top 30 prospects.  There hasn't been too much movement, but I don't see any significant prospects or decent prospects being traded.  Then again, who outside of Kuhl and I guess Bell despite how bad he is playing warrants anything decent?  We will load up on international pool money.  Maybe Rodriguez can bring a decent prospect.

I would be shocked if Rodriguez brought a "decent prospect." Bell and Kuhl are about it . Frazier might bring a little something , IMO , that's about it.

If the return on LaStella transfers to Frazier, he doesn't bring much.  Rodriguez won't bring anything now.

This team is so devoid of talent . Hard to believe they traded their 2 best players (turned out to be ) for a washed up pitcher. Baz will also be good.

Now we are talking about trading players that no one wants. If you really look at the past 3 or so years , this is sick.

What's scary is NH almost got to hang on, the guy absolutely descimated us with one trade giving away the future for anyone could see a washed up pitcher.

when you think of it, being decimated by losing 3 players shows how diminished the organization already was.
GreenWeenie

Trade Rumors

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm with ECBucs on this one.

If one trade of three guys "decimated" us, then I would say that we weren't strong to begin with. 

What I think decimated us was the returns that we received for some other deals, too.  Does anyone in their right mind think that we received equal return for the Cole or McCutchen trades?  I'm not talking about the "day of" value, but no one can think that we received the type of talent that those two brought when we were making play-in postseason runs.  Heck, McCutchen won the MVP.

Those are just two.

Even if Archer worked out well, the team is only so better than what we have these days. 

Even if we still had Meadows, Glasnow, and Baz, we might be a .500 team.  And, those guys would be around only so long until they're dumped and other guys nearing pay day go, too.

Some injuries on guys we were counting on hurt big time. That happens to almost every team. We couldn't overcome, thanks to BOB.

All of those things, plus BOB's refusal to allow for any more is what has been dooming us.  Cheapness.  Incompetence.  That will doom any organization, not just a baseball franchise, and not just a sports organization.  It's the combined kiss of death.
Bobster21

Trade Rumors

Post by Bobster21 »

Cherington crystallized the Pirates' approach to trades. While other teams see a need and make a trade to fill that need, the Pirates are smarter than that. Always believing they are the smartest ones in the room, here is BC's explanation of how the Pirates will proceed. Per the Trib:

“The fun part for us is just digging into concepts, digging into trying to go through the intellectual challenge of trying to figure out how to solve for things that will help the Pirates..."

https://triblive.com/sports/gm-ben-cher ... pproaches/

Ah, yes. Lots of digging into concepts. Lots of going through intellectual challenges. Lots of figuring out how to solve for things. With so much brainiac mumbo jumbo going on, who has time for trades?
maher.timothy20@gm

Trade Rumors

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Don't forget losing Vasquez to insanity.

If we had not made the Archer trade but we had traded Vasquez after the '18 season for somebody like Dustin May --

We'd probably still be a slightly above average team at best. But better than what we are now.

GreenWeenie

Trade Rumors

Post by GreenWeenie »

More corporate speak because Yinzers love corporate speak.

Is everyone SURE that this guy's any different than the guy before him?

We lost one reliever to insanity....and, gave another away who wound up on an in-division competitor.
NJBucsFan

Trade Rumors

Post by NJBucsFan »

Oh to be a Padres fan...
shedman

Trade Rumors

Post by shedman »

“The fun part for us is just digging into concepts, digging into trying to go through the intellectual challenge of trying to figure out how to solve for things that will help the Pirates, trying to put ourselves in the shoes of other teams and thinking about what they’re trying to do.

“We don’t need to make trades to make trades, but we do need to stay actively engaged and on the phones and learn as much as we can.”

_____

WOW, this guy has more BS than Huntington to explain doing nothing to improve the team and still collecting a paycheck!!!
GreenWeenie

Trade Rumors

Post by GreenWeenie »

I've been digging into the concept of hooking up with Katie Holmes.

I have as much BS as Cherington. He has a lot bigger paycheck.....and, I have no chance with Katie Holmes.

(Sigh.)

No wonder we lose.

(Double sigh.)
SammyKhalifa

Trade Rumors

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7D666B6A636F600E0 wrote: “The fun part for us is just digging into concepts, digging into trying to go through the intellectual challenge of trying to figure out how to solve for things that will help the Pirates, trying to put ourselves in the shoes of other teams and thinking about what they’re trying to do.

“We don’t need to make trades to make trades, but we do need to stay actively engaged and on the phones and learn as much as we can.”

_____

WOW, this guy has more BS than Huntington to explain doing nothing to improve the team and still collecting a paycheck!!!
I mean what do you expect him to do with these trade "candidates" though?  Anyone worth anything has gotten hurt. You don't get to 10-20 or whatever it is by having a bunch of guys that other teams really really want.