Hurdle fired

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Hurdle fired

Post by PMike »

58515948463C0 wrote: yep.  Some of what DK adds in that opinion article is less than honest.   

The organization/ ownership/ FO lies over and over again, time and time again... still fans!

Sports writer lambasts them, and a few points are stretched? ... garbage writer, grinding an axe, attack the messenger.  Cancelled as a writer.

So it goes in Pirate land.

PMike:

"The crazy part is that he doesn't do this stuff with Pitt or other sports he covers. "

I feel the opposite.  It's crazy that any writer gives the Pirates org any benefit of the doubt, ever, compared with the other clubs in town.   

I wasn't saying that the Pirates deserve any benefits of the doubt. They are currently a terribly run organization. My argument was that DK doesn't need to embellish his points to write a damning article on the Pirates.
Ecbucs

Hurdle fired

Post by Ecbucs »

414840515F250 wrote: yep.  Some of what DK adds in that opinion article is less than honest.   

The organization/ ownership/ FO lies over and over again, time and time again... still fans!

Sports writer lambasts them, and a few points are stretched? ... garbage writer, grinding an axe, attack the messenger.  Cancelled as a writer.

So it goes in Pirate land.

PMike:

"The crazy part is that he doesn't do this stuff with Pitt or other sports he covers. "

I feel the opposite.  It's crazy that any writer gives the Pirates org any benefit of the doubt, ever, compared with the other clubs in town.   

I find it a lot easier to believe more of what DK says than what NH says. I haven't read DK since he left the Trib other than articles that are posted here but I think his main points about criticizing ownership and management are valid. They are either lying or incompetent (or both).
SammyKhalifa

Hurdle fired

Post by SammyKhalifa »

But it's like the confirmation bias you see in people's reaction to political articles. If it says something you want to believe anyhow, you're just going to go along with it without thinking about it too critically (see: "Hoka Hey"). There are plenty of reasons to be critical of the team without making stuff up.
Ecbucs

Hurdle fired

Post by Ecbucs »

774549495D6F4C45484D4245240 wrote: But it's like the confirmation bias you see in people's reaction to political articles.  If it says something you want to believe anyhow, you're just going to go along with it without thinking about it too critically (see:  "Hoka Hey").  There are plenty of reasons to be critical of the team without making stuff up.

yes, Hoka Hey was a dumb story and take.  Maybe some players or coaches didn't like it.  There really wasn't anything wrong with it (maybe the Pirates tried to oversell how much it could help players on the field - which is what my company's management always did about these things).

SammyKhalifa

Hurdle fired

Post by SammyKhalifa »

yeah, you gotta love those "team building exercises"
dmetz

Hurdle fired

Post by dmetz »

Discussing DKs embellishment on a few points is an obscufication of his larger, abundantly obvious, correct point.

He does need to embellish it and hopefully his interaction with Mayor Peduto can get the city to take a serious look at the lease agreement.   The Mayor indicated on Twitter that they would.

The city is losing money on this park, that's a guarantee.  It's the nature of publicly funded stadiums to lose money, but it brings prestige.

If the team is an embarrassment to the city instead of a point of pride, there's no need to continue the relationship.

rucker59@gmail.com

Hurdle fired

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

222B23323C460 wrote: Discussing DKs embellishment on a few points is an obscufication of his larger, abundantly obvious, correct point.

He does need to embellish it and hopefully his interaction with Mayor Peduto can get the city to take a serious look at the lease agreement.   The Mayor indicated on Twitter that they would.

The city is losing money on this park, that's a guarantee.  It's the nature of publicly funded stadiums to lose money, but it brings prestige. 

If the team is an embarrassment to the city instead of a point of pride, there's no need to continue the relationship.

???

What’s up with the mayor?
dmetz

Hurdle fired

Post by dmetz »

DK engaged the mayor on Twitter and the Mayor was skeptical anything could be done, but promised the city would review the lease agreement.   The agreement is publicly available and there are quite a few angles the city could use to push the Org

Anything that gets the city questioning the value this org brings to the city is a plus.   There's always a way out, eventually.

dmetz

Hurdle fired

Post by dmetz »

The lease agreement expires in 2030. From opinions I've read, the city has rights within the lease to see the clubs financials. Similarly, Milwaukee and their business community forced the brewers to open their books years ago. Look where they are today?

18,412 per game was 2019 attendance, and it should get worse next year. Maybe more like 15k

The question is, what would you do withthe stadium? Could definitely refurbish it as Pitt's football stadium, something they've wanted for a while now. Multi-purpose with a AAA baseball club? Arena football?

PMike

Hurdle fired

Post by PMike »

505951404E340 wrote: DK engaged the mayor on Twitter and the Mayor was skeptical anything could be done, but promised the city would review the lease agreement.   The agreement is publicly available and there are quite a few angles the city could use to push the Org

Anything that gets the city questioning the value this org brings to the city is a plus.   There's always a way out, eventually.

See, I'm all about that one. If DK (or anyone for that matter) can create an angle to legitimately pressure Nutting, that's a great move.

Let me also say, I'm always hesitant when we talk of selling the team. What if a buyer wanted to take them from Pittsburgh. That would be a dark day for me.