4/11 Taillon vs Davis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: The Indians, Rangers, Dodgers, Yankees, and Giants are now having a fire sale.  ....

Then Neil needs to get on the phone quick, cause this band of Pirates definitely looks to be missing a few deck hands.

I'm not ready to over react, but I'm willing to post what I see so far. Instead of listing Pirate Problems I'll simply say the Reds look pretty darn good. Probably not a great team, but a surprisingly good team and at least in this series looks more then capable of assigning the Pirates to 4th in the NLC.

So if this is the case, how the heck did the Reds REBUILD faster and better than the Pirates "maintained" a playoff caliber team? If the Reds are a .500 team this year they will have done a fantastic job rebuilding in relatively short time.

I've got lots of theories developing in my head, but I can't share them until I release my book, working title "Dead Men Tell No Lies Indeed".
SCBucco

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by SCBucco »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: Marte is an outfielder and has a HR.

More quality starts than not.

Only two games behind wild card.

Time to pack it in.  This season is over.

While its early, I think you are a very naive poster to think this Pirate team is good ... it's flaws are very evident. The flaws will continue to mount on the bench and in the rotation for starters, not get any better.
SCBucco

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by SCBucco »

4F485E56584F08047D5A505C5451135E52503D0 wrote: The Indians, Rangers, Dodgers, Yankees, and Giants are now having a fire sale.   ....

Then Neil needs to get on the phone quick, cause this band of Pirates definitely looks to be missing a few deck hands.

I'm not ready to over react, but I'm willing to post what I see so far.  Instead of listing Pirate Problems I'll simply say the Reds look pretty darn good. Probably not a great team, but a surprisingly good team and at least in this series looks more then capable of assigning the Pirates to 4th in the NLC. 

So if this is the case, how the heck did the Reds REBUILD faster and better than the Pirates "maintained" a playoff caliber team?  If the Reds are a .500 team this year they will have done a fantastic job rebuilding in relatively short time.

I've got lots of theories developing in my head, but I can't share them until I release my book, working title "Dead Men Tell No Lies Indeed". 

The Reds have given us problems over the years.  I thought this year would be the year where we take them.  We seem so far behind them, even with this roster in Cincinnati that was supposed to be a rebuild.  Their rotation isn't good, but good enough to beat us.  Their bullpen isn't good, but good enough to hold us in check. I don't by any stretch believe the Reds are close to being a playoff team either.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Reds made the playoffs three out of four years from 2010 to 2013. Then after 2013, they went to 76, 64, 68 wins. They shouldn't have been that bad after going to the LDS twice.

They brought up all rookie pitchers last year. They can be an exciting team to watch and see how good these pitchers perform. But I am not ready to crown them champions after two games against the Pirates.

I am not being naïve, people are seriously overreacting after seven games. Like, big time overreaction. Starting pitchers haven't even had two starts yet. Hitters haven't had 31 at bats yet. Some fielders haven't touched the ball 15 times yet.

SammyKhalifa

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Don't we always suck against the Reds? Not looking at the stats or anything just going by memory.
PMike

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by PMike »

This thread is so reactionary, its shocking. You are all baseball people! It's a 162 game season. Are we really this despondent about 2 games?

Belaboring the pitching...the Giants, Nationals, Indians, Cardinals (and others) have substantially worse ERAs than us in the infancy of this season.

"The flaws are showing already." For those suggesting the OF is a flawed area...really? After 7 games you are ready to make that declaration? We might as well right off the rest of the season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I bet the Pirates have one of the toughest schedules in April too. Getting out near .500 will be a bonus.
Aaron

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Aaron »

I gotta say I'm really surprised that so many people think the season is over already.

I don't think this is a good team, probably just below .500. But I don't for half a second think that what we've seen from the team is the best we're going to see all season. Do people really believe that by the time September comes around that we won't see better offensive numbers from the guys that are struggling right now?

I know all we've seen so far is mostly poor performances, but it's seven games. By the time the end of May comes around, we won't even remember what was going on during the first week of the season. If it was the middle of the season and we experienced a week like this, it would be just that. A week worth of games. But when it's the first week of games, everything gets magnified.

There will likely be some stretches where Cutch, Marte, Bell etc. all heat up around the same time. When that happens, the same people that thought this team couldn't do any better will be saying things like:

"It's like '79 all over again!!! Neal rebuilt the Lumber Company!!"

Now, before anyone thinks that I believe this offense is as good as the '79 team, let me make it clear that I don't. All I'm saying is, it's a long season and all we've seen is seven games.

The offseason was an unmitigated disaster and this roster is likely not going to contend. But I'm certainly not going to go crazy over one week worth of games.
massbucsfan

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by massbucsfan »

Here we go again with the we are all overreacting posts ,I haven't seen anyone say the seasons over we argue about this every year some people watch these games,spending money like myself and you react to what you see so far I don't see a very good team ,will that change it could ,hopefully it will but every year certain posters seem like it's their job to call out the people who go by what they see game by game ,it is what it is I guess
rucker59@gmail.com

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

3D3123233225332336313E500 wrote: Here we go again with the we are all overreacting posts ,I haven't seen anyone say the seasons over we argue about this every year some people watch these games,spending money like myself and you react to what you see so far I don't see a very good team ,will that change it could ,hopefully it will but every year certain posters seem like it's their job to call out the people who go by what they see game by game ,it is what it is I guess

Probably half the posts are about Cole or Glasnow - pretty legit topics if you ask me.