Kingham up, Moroff down

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wrathchild

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by Wrathchild »

222338293F7F784C0 wrote: What about the 15 in the middle. I think you made the point. There is zero consistency. He is frustrating. Even with his career year underway his WAR to this point of the season is .1.

That number is completely based upon his defense to date, though. You are quoting his WAR as calculated by Baseball Reference which relies defensively on BIS data which says he is playing way below average and way below his career norm so far this season. His WAR numbers at Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus are higher to significantly higher because they use different defensive metrics that rate him better.
dmetz

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by dmetz »

It's easy to dislike a player who plays dumb ball and underachieves the lofty expectations put on him.

But that's Pittsburgh when it comes to baseball...   Give us the Scrappy guys who can't play!    Fans eat it up ...and we lose over and over and over and over
Bobster21

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by Bobster21 »

0A3834342012313835303F38590 wrote: What about the 15 in the middle. I think you made the point. There is zero consistency. He is frustrating. Even with his career year underway his WAR to this point of the season is .1.

Oh he's totally inconsistent.  But all his numbers aren't based on tbe beginning of the year.  It hasn't been a constant slide since then.  It's more complicated than that.
The point is that it's impossible to say Polanco is on a pace for anything. No one really believed he was on a pace to hit 70+ HRs after his first 11 games. Since then his overall stats have been poor. Does that mean he's on a pace to be terrible the rest of the season? His May stats have been fairly good. So is he now on a pace to have his best statistical season, as Dog noted? Polanco has always been inconsistent. The only thing consistent is that he always fails to live up to the high expectations. Of course he has no control over expectations. But if he continues to hover just around above or below average, the team needs to look for an upgrade. Meadows could be that. But if Polanco doesn't come thru with a strong overall season, it's always a difficult decision to know when to move on from a player whose expectations were so high.
SammyKhalifa

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4C616C7D7A6B7C3C3F0E0 wrote: What about the 15 in the middle. I think you made the point. There is zero consistency. He is frustrating. Even with his career year underway his WAR to this point of the season is .1.

Oh he's totally inconsistent.  But all his numbers aren't based on tbe beginning of the year.  It hasn't been a constant slide since then.  It's more complicated than that.
The point is that it's impossible to say Polanco is on a pace for anything. No one really believed he was on a pace to hit 70+ HRs after his first 11 games. Since then his overall stats have been poor. Does that mean he's on a pace to be terrible the rest of the season? His May stats have been fairly good. So is he now on a pace to have his best statistical season, as Dog noted? Polanco has always been inconsistent. The only thing consistent is that he always fails to live up to the high expectations. Of course he has no control over expectations. But if he continues to hover just around above or below average, the team needs to look for an upgrade. Meadows could be that. But if Polanco doesn't come thru with a strong overall season, it's always a difficult decision to know when to move on from a player whose expectations were so high.   

Yeah, that's why I'm curious whether it would work to rotate four starters in the OF for a while.
INbuc

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by INbuc »

After reading all these posts on Polanco I googled him. Would it surprise you if one of the words that popped up as l was typing his name was "polarizing"? Indeed. I think "good point" after just about each Polanco post I read.

If you want to criticize him there is plenty of ammo to work with. If you want to support him --- the same. A fundamentalist would look at his swing and cringe, and artist would say it's a thing a beauty. I tilt towards him because he has power...just like Pedro. But at some point you have to cut bait. Meadows could force the issue here. As a Pirate fan, I desperately want Both to succeed.

Last year Dickerson hit 27 HR with an OPS of .815. Polanco is on that pace. Should we be patient? Polarizing.
Kovalwat

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by Kovalwat »

44436F786E0D0 wrote: After reading all these posts on Polanco I googled him.  Would it surprise you if one of the words that popped up as l was typing his name was "polarizing"?   Indeed.  I  think "good point" after just about each Polanco post I read.

If you want to criticize him there is plenty of ammo to work with.  If you want to support him --- the same.   A fundamentalist would look at his swing and cringe, and artist would say it's  a thing a beauty.  I tilt towards him because he has power...just like Pedro.  But at some point you have to cut bait.  Meadows could force the issue here.  As a Pirate fan, I desperately want Both to succeed. 

Last year Dickerson hit 27 HR with an OPS of .815.  Polanco is on that pace.  Should we be patient?  Polarizing.

The point at which they will cut bait is the point that he can command a market salary.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Polanco already signed an extension. He was even offered a $25 million deal before he played a game and turned it down.
Bobster21

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by Bobster21 »

4C474F4346475C191F685149404747064B47280 wrote: Polanco already signed an extension. He was even offered a $25 million deal before he played a game and turned it down.
He gets 6.1 mil next year, 8.6 in 2020, 11.6 in 2021, 12.5 in 2022 with a 3 mil buyout, 13.5 mil in 2023 with a 1 mil buyout.
SammyKhalifa

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by SammyKhalifa »

So much for the "Market Salary" theory
notes34

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by notes34 »

5A6864647042616865606F68090 wrote: What about the 15 in the middle. I think you made the point. There is zero consistency. He is frustrating. Even with his career year underway his WAR to this point of the season is .1.

Yeah, that's why I'm curious whether it would work to rotate four starters in the OF for a while.
Nope! Absolutely not in this case. You have a young guy getting his feet wet and needs AB's. You don't sit Marte or Dickerson more than 1 day a week. If Meadows is ready the only obvious move is too make Polanco the 4th OF. Polanco is no longer a "young" player. He has over 1900 AB's.