Game Thread - 6/15 - Bucs @ Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Way to bounce back from losing a 1 hitter.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Losing streak halted at 9!

Robbie: "WHAT HAS LED TO [your hot streak]? Robbie never disappoints.

A couple of (perhaps) surprisingly positive comments. I like that Shelton uses his best reliever when the game is on the line rather than saving him exclusively for 9th inning saves. OTOH, if Shelton is so desperate to win that he'll use Bednar for 3 innings, why is he so often seemingly indifferent toward winning (resting hot hitters, consistently starting weak hitters, arbitrarily pulling effective SPs)?

Greg Brown and Matt Capps were fine tonight. They were focused on the game rather than each other, nicknames or attempts at comedy. That's all fans want. It shouldn't be such a rare occurrence but tonight they were fine.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Every team has losing streaks.

Even the 1960 Pirates had them. Twice, AAMOF.

Of course, those were only four games each.

Guys as old as Dave MIGHT remember that there could have been a third, but one game against the Giants ended in a draw/tie. I never knew that before. It seems that the game was tied, but was called because it went too late, or something like that.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Bobster would know. I have a vague recollection that SF once had a rule you couldn't start an inning after 1:00 AM, so maybe it was something like that.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7D7F656375100 wrote: Bobster would know. I have a vague recollection that SF once had a rule you couldn't start an inning after 1:00 AM, so maybe it was something like that.
June 28, 1960. The game was at Forbes Field and had been delayed several times for rain. It was tied after 9 innings and there was a 12:50 a.m. curfew. So it was called a tie. Stats counted and they played 155 games rather than the normal 154.

Ties still occur. The Pirates had one as recently as 2016. 9/29/16 due to rain after 5 innings.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Bring on the Giants!! I see two wins on the Horizon!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

56686D65766E6E654560776433010 wrote: Bring on the Giants!! I see two wins on the Horizon!
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. They have been doing pretty good lately when I'm in attendance. The weather cools off here after Friday so the Sunday game I might actually stick around the whole time
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

When u heading to Philly? That's what I wanna know.

;)
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5C7A7D68616D7A6C640F0 wrote: Bring on the Giants!! I see two wins on the Horizon!
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. They have been doing pretty good lately when I'm in attendance. The weather cools off here after Friday so the Sunday game I might actually stick around the whole time
Friday and Sunday look like a winner
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

They can't lose on saturday, that's Bryan Reynolds bobblehead night.

Shelton will probably sit him