Looking ahead to 2019 aka Hot Stove Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Of all the 2018 OF FA's, the guy who interests me the most is Lonnie Chisenhall. Curtis Granderson is my second choice. Both guys hit left handed and have some pop. We could ask Frazier to hold down RF with Luplow until Polanco's return, but that commits us to Kramer at 2B, and he hasn't shown that he's ready.

Chisenhall used to play 3B and I'm not sure if he still can, but it's a thought once Polanco returns from injury.

More than either of these guys, I'd like to see us sign Jose Iglesias to play SS. Just not sold on Newman as an everyday player, though he has hit better lately.

I want us to sign a lefty relief pitcher, too. I like Brault more than most, but it's an organizational weakness, made worse by the trade of Hearn. Do you suppose we could bring Ollie Perez back? All ideas on this are most welcome.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

By the way, Glasnow last night, 6 IP, 2 hits, no runs.

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6B5B574C4C515675594B4B380 wrote: I think they need to fill the RF hole left by Polanco, especially if he could be out until mid-June.

FA OF's that I think would work would by Carlos Gonzalez or A.J. Pollock. Both are affordable and if/when Polanco comes back, would give us a strong 4th outfielder.

As far as another SP goes, I would go after Patrick Corbin. 29 years old, lefty, made $7.5M this year. Maybe they could go 3 years $36M or 4 for $48M.

Let's say the best case is Nutting allocates enough $$ for one big FA signing. SP or a bat?

This year, I think we need the bat more. I'd rather see $50+M allocated to Moustakas.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4448414C5B075D4044465D41501B19694E44290 wrote: By the way, Glasnow last night, 6 IP, 2 hits, no runs.

Easily one of the most stunning developments I've ever seen in sports. And one of the most damning to my favorite team. :-[
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I could definitely get behind adding a lefty. Playing in a division with Carpenter, Rizzo, Votto, Wong, Garcia, Heyward, Schwarber, Shaw, Thames, Yelich, and Gennett, it boggles my mind why we don't have either a decent lefty starter, or reliever sans Vasquez, who doesn't really count.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I just want NH to take action and do something proactive, and not address these issues from within.

It will be SO PIRATES for NH to address the Polanco situation by using an internal stop-gap of Ludlow and Frazier in RF, and then Kramer/Newman at 2B, etc...

No, he needs to go out and get an ACTUAL outfielder with pop, preferably a lefty. I liked the Granderson idea that someone mentioned.

And go out and do something about 3B ... not just settling on Moran and saying that he should improve.

And go out and get a danged LH starter ... Happ, Gio, Corbin, etc...
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

2B2C3A323C2B6C60193E34383035773A3634590 wrote: I think they need to fill the RF hole left by Polanco, especially if he could be out until mid-June.

FA OF's that I think would work would by Carlos Gonzalez or A.J. Pollock. Both are affordable and if/when Polanco comes back, would give us a strong 4th outfielder.

As far as another SP goes, I would go after Patrick Corbin. 29 years old, lefty, made $7.5M this year. Maybe they could go 3 years $36M or 4 for $48M.

Let's say the best case is Nutting allocates enough $$ for one big FA signing.  SP or a bat?

This year, I think we need the bat more.  I'd rather see $50+M allocated to Moustakas.

I agree on putting that money toward a bat, just don't know if I agree on Moustakas
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

By the way I really like Pablo Reyes. He's impressive.
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

I can't believe how shocked people are that Glasnow looks like he MIGHT be figuring it out. He was absolutely unhittable in the minors and had only about 130 IP with the big league club. People around here need to get some patience with pitchers. Lots of guys take 200+ IP in the majors to be usable.
Quail

Post by Quail »

3C392E3D6B1A19580 wrote: I can't believe how shocked people are that Glasnow looks like he MIGHT be figuring it out. He was absolutely unhittable in the minors and had only about 130 IP with the big league club. People around here need to get some patience with pitchers. Lots of guys take 200+ IP in the majors to be usable.

I agree more patience is prudent. I still wonder if the progress Glasnow has shown with the Rays would have ever happened with the Bucs. Cole, another power arm, had plenty of time but didn't make the big leap in effectiveness until he landed in Houston.