Austin Meadows to get called up tomorrow?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Rodriguez knows his role on this team and he will be fine with Meadows coming up and playing. He knows he is a bench guy that can be used to play any position on the field at anytime which is a luxury a lot if yeahs wish they had.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

17272B30302D2A09253737440 wrote: This is just a short, get-your-feet-wet type opportunity for Meadows. Be good for him and they can easily justify sending him back down when Marte is done (presumably in eight days). I take this as a sign Marte's injury is not thought of as serious. If they thought he would be out for an extended time they would have called up Bostick. No way they give Meadows an extra year of arbitration just to get him up three weeks early.

You are right.  Need to put on my thinking cap a bit earlier in the day!  I wonder if he starts in CF tonite?  That would be interesting.

I sure hope so. I want him out there for the short time he is going to be up.
They generally prefer to put a guy right in the lineup when he's called up. Especially if he's been hot in AAA. It keeps a rookie from sitting around in the dugout for days getting nervous about his debut. So I expect Meadows to be in the lineup tonight. Besides, Rodriguez has played a lot recently and Hurdle loves to rest players.

You’re probably right, but I think it’s a mistake.   Rodriguez has played really good baseball in his first chance at extended play.  That’s not entirely surprising.  I rather keep Meadows down so that SRod can continue to play.  This is not the time to insert a rookie. 

I also wonder about the locker room: we can be pretty sure  Rodriguez is a popular guy inside. Given the way he’s played, I could see some problems if he’s benched for a rookie.  Especially if that rookie struggles. 
Really? Is this team in Jr High?

they are all professionals. They are teammates thru ST as well. Come on.

Meadows is in the lineup tonight, batting 7th.

Frazier

Polanco

Dickerson

Bell

Moran

Diaz

Meadows

Mercer

It seems most people don;t think locker rooms matter at the professional matter. I've never understood that. The preseason talk from some of the Pirates would seem to indicate that the locker room has not been a very good environment the past couple years. We know it was in the play off years, and we know it is this year. What goes into a good locker room? All I know is players seem to identify that as an important issue.

The main point however, is the team better?
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I am good with Meadows starting tonight, but (hard for me to believe) I agree with VAPirate that Rodriguez has earned the right to start most of the games during Marte's absence.

Don't know how many lefties the Pirates will face, but if there is a lefty on the mound, I would consider starting either Rodriguez or Meadows in CF and the other in RF and sitting Polanco. Polanco is one frustrating defender and hitter. He really looked bad on the double over his head by the San Diego starting pitcher. Meadows needs to see a reasonable number of at-bats while he is up. Also don't know at this point exactly how long that Marte will be out.
rucker59@gmail.com

6B474F484364534555260 wrote: I am good with Meadows starting tonight, but (hard for me to believe) I agree with VAPirate that Rodriguez has earned the right to start most of the games during Marte's absence. 

Don't know how many lefties the Pirates will face, but if there is a lefty on the mound, I would consider starting either Rodriguez or Meadows in CF and the other in RF and sitting Polanco.  Polanco is one frustrating defender and hitter.  He really looked bad on the double over his head by the San Diego starting pitcher.   Meadows needs to see a reasonable number of at-bats while he is up.   Also don't know at this point exactly how long that Marte will be out. 

As noted above - I just want to win. Whatever gives the best opportunity for the Pirates, I’m all in. It just seems like a strange time to insert a new callup.

OTOH - I’m looking forward to watching Meadows. His development is huge for the organization.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

He's done a lot better in May than April, for sure, but I don't think his 198 BA and 33% K rate earns him anything.
rucker59@gmail.com

696C6B6D656F766B6271777A030 wrote: He's done a lot better in May than April, for sure, but I don't think his 198 BA and 33% K rate earns him anything. 

Fair enough! :)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Meadows picked a pretty good song intro too for his debut : Bitter Sweet Symphony.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

476B63646F487F69790A0 wrote: I am good with Meadows starting tonight, but (hard for me to believe) I agree with VAPirate that Rodriguez has earned the right to start most of the games during Marte's absence. 

Don't know how many lefties the Pirates will face, but if there is a lefty on the mound, I would consider starting either Rodriguez or Meadows in CF and the other in RF and sitting Polanco.  Polanco is one frustrating defender and hitter.  He really looked bad on the double over his head by the San Diego starting pitcher.   Meadows needs to see a reasonable number of at-bats while he is up.   Also don't know at this point exactly how long that Marte will be out. 
I don't see how anyone would think SR has earned the right to start in Marte's absence. SRod is batting .190 the lowest average of any regular position player, not sure he's earned the right to play period. He's a real liability as a hitter with him it's all or nothing.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Meadows is not in the lineup for tonight’s game against the Cards. This is now two games in a row he has not started. Assuming Polanco is starting again tonight since he had 3 hits last night. It would be best if they send Meadows down to Indy if they are not going to start him. The worst thing for a rookie who has been a starter in the minors is to use him off the bench in the majors.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

7C70712A232A222F28372D1A0 wrote: Meadows is not in the lineup for tonight’s game against the Cards. This is now two games in a row he has not started. Assuming Polanco is starting again tonight since he had 3 hits last night. It would be best if they send Meadows down to Indy if they are not going to start him. The worst thing for a rookie who has been a starter in the minors is to use him off the bench in the majors.
Yeah this doesn't make sense. You either start him or send him down. I have no idea what Hurdle is doing.