No DH in NL next Year

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

No DH in NL next Year

Post by shedman »

6C4A4D58515D4A5C543F0 wrote: This proves there is a God.  Now, if they'd just get rid of Interleague play and the disaster that is the replay system all will be right with the world.

I'm a Pirates fan.  Nothing will be right in my world until the Pirates win the World Series.

Maybe that's the Pirates' problem!  GreenWeinie is a Pirates fan.  You know like the Curse of the Bambino or the Curse of Bartman.  So now what do we at OBN do to break the Curse of GreenWeenie? 

He'll probably mention WWD and me paying up on our bets. Now, IDK about WWD and him, but GW once again made a pot shot that carries a 15 yard personal foul penalty, or at least forcing Doc to watch a pierogi race.

He was the one who wanted me to pay up on a visit to a Pirates series in Phillies. He knew the risk of that, because of my work schedule, and then opportunity was further complicated by these simple things called MAJOR SURGERY.

GW, he's all or nothing man. 115 win season and no WS title? Big deal.  Movie grosses 10 billion world wide, but no best picture Oscar?  Trash. 

Maybe me and WWD should just send him gift certificates. That might get us to the NLCS at least.

_________

Surg, you are the type of guy who would brag about getting a birdie when in reality you killed a bird with a golf ball!
Surgnbuck

No DH in NL next Year

Post by Surgnbuck »

69727F7E777B741A0 wrote:

Surg, you are the type of guy who would brag about getting a birdie when in reality you killed a bird with a golf ball!

Robes still has the picture evidence of that moment!
GreenWeenie

No DH in NL next Year

Post by GreenWeenie »

5A414C4D444847290 wrote: This proves there is a God.  Now, if they'd just get rid of Interleague play and the disaster that is the replay system all will be right with the world.

I'm a Pirates fan.  Nothing will be right in my world until the Pirates win the World Series.

Maybe that's the Pirates' problem!  GreenWeinie is a Pirates fan.  You know like the Curse of the Bambino or the Curse of Bartman.  So now what do we at OBN do to break the Curse of GreenWeenie? 

He'll probably mention WWD and me paying up on our bets. Now, IDK about WWD and him, but GW once again made a pot shot that carries a 15 yard personal foul penalty, or at least forcing Doc to watch a pierogi race.

He was the one who wanted me to pay up on a visit to a Pirates series in Phillies. He knew the risk of that, because of my work schedule, and then opportunity was further complicated by these simple things called MAJOR SURGERY.

GW, he's all or nothing man. 115 win season and no WS title? Big deal.  Movie grosses 10 billion world wide, but no best picture Oscar?  Trash. 

Maybe me and WWD should just send him gift certificates. That might get us to the NLCS at least.

_________

I'm led to think that Surg is a Jets fan. ;)

He's Archie Bunker- My, country right or wrong.

I'm Mike Stivick- We can be a better country. At .317, I'd hate if we couldn't be. ;)
BellevueBuc

No DH in NL next Year

Post by BellevueBuc »

Now reported the DH is staying, which is no surprise.

Also, the owners want to delay the season until May. Players want to play a full season.
GreenWeenie

No DH in NL next Year

Post by GreenWeenie »

Someone better call Mrs. Doc and tell her to hide the steak knives. ;)
IABucFan

No DH in NL next Year

Post by IABucFan »

The NL DH is a tragedy. You can call me old fashioned or whatever. I don’t care. The game was perfect for over 100 years. They keep messing with something that wasn’t broken. Want to attract young fans? End blackouts and actually do something for cord cutters. Sorry, but I hate the DH, I hate the extra innings gimmick, I hate the three batter minimum rule, I hate what MLB is doing to the game. NL baseball was better. It was a more strategic game, and that made it more exciting. Who wants to watch pitchers “flail away,” you say? I do. Because it’s how the game has always been played in the National League. It’s not as exciting! Listen...if you’re watching baseball hoping for it to be “exciting,” you’re watching the wrong sport. Want non-stop action? Watch hockey. Want fast, exciting plays? Watch football or basketball. Want America's pastime? Watch baseball. The entertainment value in baseball is the marathon season, watching your favorite team day after day in a pennant race. If I need a DH to keep me “entertained,” in a way that watching a pitcher hit won’t, perhaps I need to reflect on whether or not I’m really a baseball fan, or if I’m just a fan of home runs and base hits.

I’m a millennial. I guess I am getting old though. Crazy to think that I’ll be 40 next year. I guess MLB has passed this fan by.  :-/

If MLB wants to win this fan back, they need to do three things, in no particular order:

1. End blackouts...stop blacking out a third of the Pirates games in Iowa each year.

2. Bring back real baseball, payed under the same rules we’ve played under for over a century—including throwing four pitches for an intentional walk.

3. Increase the competitive balance. Give me a realistic hope that I’ll see the Pirates win the World Series once before I die.
2drfischer@gmail.c

No DH in NL next Year

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

040C0F382E0B2C234D0 wrote: The NL DH is a tragedy. You can call me old fashioned or whatever. I don’t care. The game was perfect for over 100 years. They keep messing with something that wasn’t broken. Want to attract young fans? End blackouts and actually do something for cord cutters. Sorry, but I hate the DH, I hate the extra innings gimmick, I hate the three batter minimum rule, I hate what MLB is doing to the game. NL baseball was better. It was a more strategic game, and that made it more exciting. Who wants to watch pitchers “flail away,” you say? I do. Because it’s how the game has always been played in the National League. It’s not as exciting! Listen...if you’re watching baseball hoping for it to be “exciting,” you’re watching the wrong sport. Want non-stop action? Watch hockey. Want fast, exciting plays? Watch football or basketball. Want America's pastime? Watch baseball. The entertainment value in baseball is the marathon season, watching your favorite team day after day in a pennant race. If I need a DH to keep me “entertained,” in a way that watching a pitcher hit won’t, perhaps I need to reflect on whether or not I’m really a baseball fan, or if I’m just a fan of home runs and base hits.

I’m a millennial. I guess I am getting old though. Crazy to think that I’ll be 40 next year. I guess MLB has passed this fan by.  :-/

If MLB wants to win this fan back, they need to do three things, in no particular order:

1. End blackouts...stop blacking out a third of the Pirates games in Iowa each year.

2. Bring back real baseball, payed under the same rules we’ve played under for over a century—including throwing four pitches for an intentional walk.

3. Increase the competitive balance. Give me a realistic hope that I’ll see the Pirates win the World Series once before I die.

Great post! One of the things that turned me away from the NFL were the constant rules changes. Baseball was always the opposite until the DH, a change that altered the game far more than a simple tweak. And then in recent years, Interleague play, the replay system, and now the three batter minimum are, to me, desperate attempts to make a perfect sport into something it was never designed to be, just to compete with the other sports. There was never any need to.

In Ken Burns documentary, baseball was described so well: "a leisurely game played at a lightning speed". What could be better?
GreenWeenie

No DH in NL next Year

Post by GreenWeenie »

Sounds closer to Shuffleboard.
Bobster21

No DH in NL next Year

Post by Bobster21 »

1B2E3939320B39393235395C0 wrote: Sounds closer to Shuffleboard.
Then don't watch it.
DemDog

No DH in NL next Year

Post by DemDog »

I am also a traditionalist when it comes to baseball. I don't like most of the new stuff that has come about. While I don't go for the DH, it is the one thing that I would stomach.

I'm not for replay, at least how it is done these days. It just slows down the game. The 3 batter minimum just sucks, although there were the days of old where your best reliever would pitch more than one inning and the LOGGY guys were non-existent. As for the designated closer, who is usually your best reliever that can go away too. That type of reliever should be used in a tight situation and not saved until the ninth inning. But the most ridiculous rule is starting extra innings with a runner on second. If you want to win in extra innings a team should earn it. I know, MLB wants to speed up the game but watching a 16 inning game can be much more exciting or even frustrating as we fans sit in the stands or our recliners biting our nails hoping our team wins.

As for interleague play, you can shove that idea up where the sun doesn't shine. I want to see the Bucs play more game with their traditional rivals from other divisions in the NL.

Then there is the scheduling. Play more doubleheaders and not the 7 inning kind. Go the full nine innings. Don't make them day-night doubleheaders either. Start the second game a half-hour after the first one ends.

That's my traditionalist rant. Unfortunately, I most likely will not live to see these things change because there is just too much money coming into MLB for the owners and the players. That is sad.