Pirates vs Rockies - 5/21 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Bad starting pitching, botched rundown, 3 hits, 0 runs. Even had replay prove definitively that a Pirate had not been tagged only to have the out call upheld. What a lousy game to watch.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

795C5F5F4A615C545641330 wrote: We basically have 2 starters (Lyles and Musgrove) plus 3 relievers (Liriano, Crick, & Vazquez) that Hurdle can count on. (Possibly Hartlieb & DuRaupa). The rest of the staff is a crap shoot

Unacceptable that the front office has not gone out and provided the team with another QUALITY arm I agree that with Archer being as bad as he has been and not being reliable at all a move needs to be made of some sort to get a pitcher either via trade or call up from the Minors. As I stated earlier in this thread just an unacceptable performance by Chris Archer tonight.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

7B575F585374435545360 wrote: Stated very simply --- It is (past) time for Archer to step up!

Six innings and no more than 2 runs.

Chris, your teammates and all Pirate fans need you.

Don't hold your breath .

The simple truth is this guy is not that good at baseball. hasn't been for quite a while. Give TB credit for holding out and acting like they had something. They waited and waited until finally someone took the bait. What a freakin haul they got. Good for TB and I guess as far as the Pirates don't feel bad as there is a sucker born every day.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

According to Archer this is just a rough patch and there is nothing to worry about which is what his comments were after the game last night. It’s frustrating hearing him say this and not admitting that he needs to be better and things aren’t working out for him. TBMTIB is gonna continue to shove Archer down our throats here for as long as possible to try and justify the trade for Glasnow and Meadows. That’s why anybody who sits there and says they aren’t gonna pick up Archer’s option for next year are crazy. He isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E49585C59447B4F585959443D0 wrote: According to Archer this is just a rough patch and there is nothing to worry about which is what his comments were after the game last night. It’s frustrating hearing him say this and not admitting that he needs to be better and things aren’t working out for him. T

You know, there's obviously a lot to not like about his performance so far, but I read his quotes, listened to his interview yesterday, and I see/hear nothing that makes me think he isn't standing up and taking blame.  Of course he thinks he is better than this--all athletes think that all the time.  He also came out and said that he has been bad and can't keep walking guys etc.  If you're faulting him for staying positive that's a weird thing to fault someone for.

The player we've gotten so far has been a huge disappointment, but as far as we have seen the person is pretty stand-up.

https://triblive.com/sports/chris-arche ... o-rockies/

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

42707C7C685A79707D787770110 wrote: According to Archer this is just a rough patch and there is nothing to worry about which is what his comments were after the game last night. It’s frustrating hearing him say this and not admitting that he needs to be better and things aren’t working out for him. T

You know, there's obviously a lot to not like about his performance so far, but I read his quotes, listened to his interview yesterday, and I see/hear nothing that makes me think he isn't standing up and taking blame.  Of course he thinks he is better than this--all athletes think that all the time.  He also came out and said that he has been bad and can't keep walking guys etc.  If you're faulting him for staying positive that's a weird thing to fault someone for.

The player we've gotten so far but as far as we have seen so far the person is pretty stand-up.

https://triblive.com/sports/chris-arche ... o-rockies/

From what I've seen personality wise he seems like a good guy and a good team mate. He seemed excited about coming to Pirates last year.

Here is fangraphs article that is mainly evaluating how the trade is turning into a disaster for Pirates, however I'm not posting because of that but because it identifies Archer as more of a project than an ace. If he puts it together and becomes more efficient with his pitches he can be an effective starter (better than Nova anyway).

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/for-the-pir ... -sterling/
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

He says this now after every start anymore how he can’t walk guys and how he needs to be better. I don’t think it’s asking too much to have Archer go 5 or 6 innings when he starts and he has done nothing close to that. Archer does seem like a good guy and a good guy in the community with the kids and things like that but that only gets you so far and doesn’t win you baseball games at the end of the day.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

One thing though...the botched rundown cost him a run. Reynolds reallybshould have caught Storey’s home run. It would have been a good play, but the ball hit off his glove. I’ll bet he’d say he should have caught it. His line last night looks a lot different going five and giving up two runs as opposed to five and four.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

090102352306212E400 wrote: You might not see a worse defensive play from an MLB team all year.
Orioles: hold my beer

https://streamable.com/x3fi4
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

684F5E5A5F427D495E5F5F423B0 wrote: According to Archer this is just a rough patch and there is nothing to worry about which is what his comments were after the game last night. It’s frustrating hearing him say this and not admitting that he needs to be better and things aren’t working out for him. TBMTIB is gonna continue to shove Archer down our throats here for as long as possible to try and justify the trade for Glasnow and Meadows. That’s why anybody who sits there and says they aren’t gonna pick up Archer’s option for next year are crazy. He isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
If he doesn’t produce they won’t pick up the option. Remember after a few starts in 2013 they let Wandy Rodriguez go, and ate the money. They would take the heat about the bad trade with Tampa , before they spend millions on a player who is not productive. They would probably try to sign another Jordan Lyles type guy, and try for the reclamation project.