Nutting Please Take Note

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4245535B5542050970575D51595C1E535F5D300 wrote: The Angels just designated Albert Pujhols (and his $30 mil contract) for assignment.   Albert was one of the most feared hitters I ever saw play when he was with the Cardinals.  While his prowess clearly has diminished in the past several years, the Angels have decided to tell a likely future Hall of Famer that his services are no longer necessary.

Polanco never was and never will be the force that Pujhols was on the field.   Management for the Angels decided it was time to bid Mr. Pujhols good-bye.  Mr. Nutting, please allow BC to do the same with Polanco.  Whjle it has been said that the players on the team love Polanco, it is sad (and more importantly unforgivable) to play someone in RF who cannot make a throw to a cut-off man.  Pittsburgh fans deserve better.      

Before I break anymore rules...

I actually have something semi-constructive to the thread.  I may be the only person, but I prefer Polanco in The lineup IF he can throw the ball.  If he can’t, he indeed needs to be released.  Otherwise, I’d rather have Polanco then the band of misfit toys that the Pirates have been plugging into the 3rd outfielder.

Unless Polanco is actually blocking some Serious prospect at AAA....

If Polanco could throw, and if he could be a more consistent hitter, and if he could be a better baserunner, and if he didn't constantly injure himself, I'd rather have Polanco playing, too.  But none of those things are going to happen.

The best reason for not playing Polanco is that he has no future here.  Sadly, there's been no other true outfielder who, when given the opportunity, has played well enough to give BC the go ahead to release Polanco.  It's entirely inexcusable that within the entire Pirates system there isn't one outfielder who's been able to step in.  This goes back to Huntington's failures in drafting and developing, but Cherington isn't blameless in that he's not been able to trade for, or sign, at least one player who could take Polanco's place.
GreenWeenie

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by GreenWeenie »

Classic example of "darned if we do/don't."

The guy doesn't hit. To your point, neither is anyone in this shadow.

Which puts ME in the minority on this piece: Ben knew what he had and didn't deal with it effectively. We're stuck with Polanco because we're stuck with Polanco. I hope that I'm wrong, but it makes me think that it's business as unusual with this club.
rucker59@gmail.com

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The trade of Austin Meadows was one of the Worst trades in history, surely. The team may be totally different today were Meadows still on the team.

With Swaggerty and Head looking like legit prospects, plus Reynolds, the Pirates could have a strong outfield by late 2022. Given the needs everywhere on the team, I can defend the FO in simply plugging holes in the OF. I’m having fun with this team, but I’m still expecting them to compete for 1-1 in 2022. And I hope they succeed in that goal. A decent OFer does nothing for this organization.

Given the lack of even marginal OFers to replace Polanco, that he’s not holding anyone back, I’d let Polanco play for the 1/1000 chance he explodes. I don’t expect that to happen, but no one else is going to emerge.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7770666E6077303C456268646C692B666A68050 wrote: The trade of Austin Meadows was one of the Worst trades in history, surely. The team may be totally different today were Meadows still on the team.

With Swaggerty and Head looking like legit prospects, plus Reynolds, the Pirates could have a strong outfield by late 2022.  Given the needs everywhere on the team, I can defend the FO in simply plugging holes in the OF.  I’m having fun with this team, but I’m still expecting them to compete for 1-1 in 2022.  And I hope they succeed in that goal. A decent OFer does nothing for this organization. 

Given the lack of even marginal OFers to replace Polanco, that he’s not holding anyone back, I’d let Polanco play for the 1/1000 chance he explodes.  I don’t expect that to happen, but no one else is going to emerge.

Regarding Swaggerty, quite frankly, I don't trust that any of Huntington's draft picks will succeed, especially his first round picks. Nearly all of them have underachieved greatly.

I agree that Polanco isn't holding anyone back but, for me, that's not a good enough reason to play a guy who, if he's not traded or released at the Deadline, should never play another inning after July 31 anyway. That's why I'm disappointed that Cherington has been unable to fill the RF spot with someone more capable, even if that player won't be a starter in the future. I'll take anyone out there who's a better option than Polanco.
Bobster21

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by Bobster21 »

Obviously, they could have started the season with someone better than Polanco if they had tried. This looks like an organizational decision to hope he finally plays well enough to trade him and his contract. Replacing him before the season began was most likely not an option. Nutting wasn't going to eat the rest of the contract without at least trying to foist Polanco off to some team stupid enough to take him. After all, if a professional GM was dumb enough to make the Archer trade, anything's possible. I suspect Cherington and Shelton had their marching orders pertaining to Polanco.

The TDL this year is July 30. And so far Polanco has been as bad as ever. The question is how long before they give up the hope that he demonstrates value to another team. Once they get close to the TDL there won't even be enough time to mount a sustained hot streak even if was capable. So hopefully they will be more aggressive in their decision making and cut the cord well before the TDL if Polanco continues to play like Polanco. They're just gonna have to bite the bullet and release him if he doersn't improve.
johnfluharty

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by johnfluharty »

775156434A4651474F240 wrote: He's worth what someone's willing to pay. That was the going rate to put his name on the marquee.  Nice gig while it lasted.
You're exceptionally obtuse. That contract is directly related regardless of what the angels say to three GM losing their jobs. But thank you for your always canned answers. 

Please call the post obtuse not the poster.
WiffleballHero

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by WiffleballHero »

626760666E647D60697A7C71080 wrote:

And anyway, I rather think this is a cute post.

This Angel angle represents the degrees of separation between Albert Pujols' magic contract and Gene Autrey's spinning corpse.
Bobster21

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by Bobster21 »

132D22222821262528280C21362B440 wrote:

This Angel angle represents the degrees of separation between Albert Pujols' magic contract and Gene Autrey's spinning corpse.

That's a cute angle. :D
GreenWeenie

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by GreenWeenie »

526C63636960676469694D60776A050 wrote:

That's pretty good! ;)

What about Trigger?
Bobster21

Nutting Please Take Note

Post by Bobster21 »

4174636368516363686F63060 wrote:

That's pretty good!  ;)

What about Trigger?

Trigger was Roy Rogers' horse. Gene Autrey had Champion.