Austin Meadows to get called up tomorrow?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think I'd still put Kuhl out of the rotation because I'd to see what kind of fireballs he throws out of the 'pen.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

03313D3D291B38313C393631500 wrote: He WAS a bench player.  The starter was injuried.  He’s been a starter (mostly) since and played very well. I think it likely that  Rodriguez gives the Pirates the best chance to win if he starts.

This doesn’t seem like an obvious time to call Meadows up.  If he plays great, then all is well. If he does not, and the Pirates lose, I think it’s a huge mistake, and for no obvious reason. 

Maybe.  I don't think Marte is in any trouble but his presence might push Polanco.  I also think it frees up SROD to do that thing he does all around the diamond.

I just want to win. Hard to imagine the Pirates playing better with Meadows then they have with Rodriguez. Easy to imagine the team playing worse.

You have one very good counter: the bench immediately becomes very deep, again.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't know. Even if he doesn't hit much I think it shores them up defensively.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

There are two starters out. Rodriguez can't replace both of them. They would be playing Meadows over Moroff and Frazier. Freese, Osuna, and Diaz aren't going to play CF or 2B. If they don't want to move Dickerson or Polanco to CF, Osuna stays on the bench too.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6F5D51514577545D50555A5D3C0 wrote: I think I'd still put Kuhl out of the rotation because I'd to see what kind of fireballs he throws out of the 'pen.

I could get on board with that. The thing for me though is that I kind of think of the BP as a place where you put failed starters. I don't put Kuhl in that camp. I kind of look at Kuhl like I did Charlie Morton a few years ago. I always kind of liked Charlie in the rotation because he might blow up, but he might be dominant for a game. I can take the blow-ups as long as they are paired with going seven innings, no runs every so often. Morton did that on occasion. So does Kuhl. I could easily see Kuhl having a similar career arc to Morton and five years from now he's leading some team's rotation while we're sitting here saying, "Why didn't we see this when he was here?"

For me, Kuhl stays in the rotation for now. Honestly, in an ideal world, Nova would be my odd man out. But he's out of options, where Kingham isn't, and Nova (like Kuhl) has shown flashes of brilliance before. Honestly, he also kind of fits the mold for #5 starter...pound strikes, eat innings, keep your team in the game, and maybe you'll pull out a 6-5 win.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I expect Meadows to start tonight but I doubt Hurdle gives him the CF spot until Marte returns. Rodriguez will probably start in CF vs LHP as well as a few other games.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I don't expect Meadows to be up long. They are facing a righty tonight and a lefty tomorrow. I don't think San Diego has named a starter for Sunday. Don't forget that Marte's stint is retroactive.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

He is in the line up batting 7th.

ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

292E38303E296E621B3C363A3237753834365B0 wrote: This is just a short, get-your-feet-wet type opportunity for Meadows. Be good for him and they can easily justify sending him back down when Marte is done (presumably in eight days). I take this as a sign Marte's injury is not thought of as serious. If they thought he would be out for an extended time they would have called up Bostick. No way they give Meadows an extra year of arbitration just to get him up three weeks early.

You are right.  Need to put on my thinking cap a bit earlier in the day!  I wonder if he starts in CF tonite?  That would be interesting.

I sure hope so. I want him out there for the short time he is going to be up.
They generally prefer to put a guy right in the lineup when he's called up. Especially if he's been hot in AAA. It keeps a rookie from sitting around in the dugout for days getting nervous about his debut. So I expect Meadows to be in the lineup tonight. Besides, Rodriguez has played a lot recently and Hurdle loves to rest players.

You’re probably right, but I think it’s a mistake.   Rodriguez has played really good baseball in his first chance at extended play.  That’s not entirely surprising.  I rather keep Meadows down so that SRod can continue to play.  This is not the time to insert a rookie. 

I also wonder about the locker room: we can be pretty sure  Rodriguez is a popular guy inside. Given the way he’s played, I could see some problems if he’s benched for a rookie.  Especially if that rookie struggles. 
Really? Is this team in Jr High?

they are all professionals. They are teammates thru ST as well. Come on.

Meadows is in the lineup tonight, batting 7th.

Frazier

Polanco

Dickerson

Bell

Moran

Diaz

Meadows

Mercer
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7C4C405B5B4641624E5C5C2F0 wrote:

Really? Is this team in Jr High?

they are all professionals. They are teammates thru ST as well. Come on.

Meadows is in the lineup tonight, batting 7th.

Frazier

Polanco

Dickerson

Bell

Moran

Diaz

Meadows

Mercer

Agreed.

They were all rookies at one point too. They all started their first game at one point. I doubt Meadows will be black-sheeped in the dugout.

The players should like the hype. Traffic is already backing up on parkway west.