Official Game Thread - 5/23 - Bucs @ Braves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

163B36272031266665540 wrote: Bucs now on pace for 63 wins.  Holmes, Crick and Underwood did the job today.

E-Gon with another walk, just needs two more to tie his career high.

The team was one game over .500 on April 27.  Their record was 12-11.  Since then, they've gone 6-16, a .273 pace.  If they continue to play at that pace over the final 117 games, they'll win just 32 more times for a final record of 50-112. 

The question is, which team are they?  The one that played winning baseball over the first 23 or the one that's played really badly over the past 22?  If the roster, and the one in Indy, had young, upcoming players, I'd say they could play closer to how they did over that first three weeks.  But this roster is just awful, and there's no help arriving soon from Triple A. 

In addition, the team's best players are likely to be dealt away by the Deadline.  So is it a stretch to think that they may only win 10-15 games over the final two months?

I think I predicted 54 wins prior to the season.  After watching these last three weeks, I'm hard pressed to see them winning that many.

I think when we saw the roster we expected the team to perform just like they have in the 6-16 (now 6-17) stretch. The 12-11 start was inexplicable and not likely a fair representation of their ability. It will help to get Hayes back but they still have no starting pitching and 2/3rds of a lineup that can't hit.

Oops, forgot to include today's loss.  I agree that the first 12 wins were headscratching.  Who knows where that came from? I also agree that the past 23 games is more likely what they are.  Hayes will help to be sure, I just hope teams don't pitch around him. 
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

73647262272126202628110 wrote: BUCS win today. Too early to fall 10 under.

Good luck Phil!!! Although I'd bet a ton of money he won't win it.
Wrong as usual
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

0C32373F2C34343F1F3A2D3E695B0 wrote: BUCS win today. Too early to fall 10 under.

Wrong as usual

On both accounts but I was rooting hard for Phil. It made for a great Sunday. Oldest ever to win a Major.
2drfischer@gmail.c

5641574702040305030D340 wrote: BUCS win today. Too early to fall 10 under.

Wrong as usual

On both accounts but I was rooting hard for Phil. It made for a great Sunday. Oldest ever to win a Major.

I've come to root against Mickelson at every opportunity. That stunt he pulled at the US Open a couple of years ago when he putted his moving ball was a disgrace.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

376177636C76666D6077456268646C692B66050 wrote: Bucs now on pace for 63 wins.  Holmes, Crick and Underwood did the job today.

The team was one game over .500 on April 27.  Their record was 12-11.  Since then, they've gone 6-16, a .273 pace.  If they continue to play at that pace over the final 117 games, they'll win just 32 more times for a final record of 50-112. 

The question is, which team are they?  The one that played winning baseball over the first 23 or the one that's played really badly over the past 22?  If the roster, and the one in Indy, had young, upcoming players, I'd say they could play closer to how they did over that first three weeks.  But this roster is just awful, and there's no help arriving soon from Triple A. 

In addition, the team's best players are likely to be dealt away by the Deadline.  So is it a stretch to think that they may only win 10-15 games over the final two months?

I think I predicted 54 wins prior to the season.  After watching these last three weeks, I'm hard pressed to see them winning that many.

I think when we saw the roster we expected the team to perform just like they have in the 6-16 (now 6-17) stretch. The 12-11 start was inexplicable and not likely a fair representation of their ability. It will help to get Hayes back but they still have no starting pitching and 2/3rds of a lineup that can't hit.

Oops, forgot to include today's loss.  I agree that the first 12 wins were headscratching.  Who knows where that came from?  I also agree that the past 23 games is more likely what they are.  Hayes will help to be sure, I just hope teams don't pitch around him. 

Yea I mean we all held out some hope that the 12-11 start would at least hold up and keep them right around .500 at least but we all knew it was most likely too good to be true. Losing 17 of their last 23 is pretty close to what they are as some have mentioned. They have 13 of their next 15 games the next 2 weeks at PNC Park against some teams they can win some games against it looks like so I expect some things to get a little better moving forward here, but the days of this team being anywhere close to .500 this season is pretty much over.

I still don’t think they finish anywhere close to historically bad losing 120 games, but I predicted 54-108 and I think that is a very good number to stick by at this point. I really have a hard time seeing the overall win total being much better then that.
2drfischer@gmail.c

527564606578477364656578010 wrote: Bucs now on pace for 63 wins.  Holmes, Crick and Underwood did the job today.

Oops, forgot to include today's loss.  I agree that the first 12 wins were headscratching.  Who knows where that came from?  I also agree that the past 23 games is more likely what they are.  Hayes will help to be sure, I just hope teams don't pitch around him. 

Yea I mean we all held out some hope that the 12-11 start would at least hold up and keep them right around .500 at least but we all knew it was most likely too good to be true. Losing 17 of their last 23 is pretty close to what they are as some have mentioned. They have 13 of their next 15 games the next 2 weeks at PNC Park against some teams they can win some games against it looks like so I expect some things to get a little better moving forward here, but the days of this team being anywhere close to .500 this season is pretty much over.

I still don’t think they finish anywhere close to historically bad losing 120 games, but I predicted 54-108 and I think that is a very good number to stick by at this point. I really have a hard time seeing the overall win total being much better then that.

If they were to play as a 6-23 team over the course of the season, they'll be winning no more than two games each week. Winning two games per week is winning about 52 games for the season. And as I mentioned before, for the two months after the Deadline, it could get worse. If they fall into a few longish losing streaks the rest of the way, they may end up with 45-50 wins.