8/17 vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by DemDog »

Despite the dismal outcome of the last 2 nights I can report that the "Kiddie Bucs" down on the farm had a stupendous night. Only 1 team lost their game that being the DSL 2, Indy and WV Power were rained out and the GCL Pirates had the day off. So here is something for that is a bit on the bright side of an otherwise dismal Bucco day.
RichD

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by RichD »

We could of had Hamels, just like I wanted and not given up the farm just paid some salary . >:(
dmetz

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by dmetz »

The hitters are fatigued. Need more rest. Played the same lineup two games in a row, you can't expect them to not be tired after 4at bats and 9 innings the previous day
DemDog

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by DemDog »

303931202E540 wrote: The hitters are fatigued.  Need more rest.  Played the same lineup two games in a row, you can't expect them to not be tired after 4at bats and 9 innings the previous day

Where is S-Rod? He is very rested and will need to get into the swing of things so he should start the 10 games when he is off the DL! 8-) 8-) 8-) That will bring the hitters out of their funk!
skinnyhorse

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by skinnyhorse »

032435313429162235343429500 wrote: Ever since the Clay Holmes debacle a week ago the Pirates have now lost 5 in a row and 6 of their last 7 overall. Not saying this is the main reason for this current losing streak they are in but it sure didn’t help things and Hurdle giving both pitchers and his hitters extra rest has done NOTHING for this team at all. So now at 61–62 with 39 games remaining and just about 7 games out of the wildcard Hurdle pretty soon can rest all the guys he wants in September. I’m being dead serious about this too. If this team is out of it in September which they most likely will be I’m shutting Taillon down, Musgrove down, and anybody else who looks like they can be in the rotation next year. You were obsessed with your rest Clint well don’t worry your players and especially pitchers will get plenty of it come September. I absolutely hate the way this team is managed and I desperately hope somehow someway they do a complete and total overhaul of the entire coaching staff because I think it’s time for a change. Clint and this staff need to go.
Couldn't agree more, sometimes you just need a fresh look, change of scenery, but this coaching staff has worn out it's welcome and must go but somehow I don't think NH will do anything. Just look at the Cards after their change and I certainly thought Matheney wasn't bad but sometimes change just gets a team motivated. In my opinion the Cards don't have the tallent the Pirates have but they have high expectations, and won't settle for just trying.
skinnyhorse

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by skinnyhorse »

7A5D4C484D506F5B4C4D4D50290 wrote: Ever since the Clay Holmes debacle a week ago the Pirates have now lost 5 in a row and 6 of their last 7 overall. Not saying this is the main reason for this current losing streak they are in but it sure didn’t help things and Hurdle giving both pitchers and his hitters extra rest has done NOTHING for this team at all. So now at 61–62 with 39 games remaining and just about 7 games out of the wildcard Hurdle pretty soon can rest all the guys he wants in September. I’m being dead serious about this too. If this team is out of it in September which they most likely will be I’m shutting Taillon down, Musgrove down, and anybody else who looks like they can be in the rotation next year. You were obsessed with your rest Clint well don’t worry your players and especially pitchers will get plenty of it come September. I absolutely hate the way this team is managed and I desperately hope somehow someway they do a complete and total overhaul of the entire coaching staff because I think it’s time for a change. Clint and this staff need to go.

I think you are exactly right one game can make or break a season, especially this late in the season.  The Clay Holmes thing should have been enough to get CH fired if NH was a competent GM in fact he may have helped in the decision.  Not putting your very best on the field for the game today is just unacceptable.   Today you can't worry about what's going to happen tomorrow, you have to win today.  One game can change a season and this is a good example of it.  Hurdle should go 200% to win today's game, if he doesn't there won't be a tomorrow for this team, to hell with what happens tomorrow, this game today is what counts today.  I don't think him or Neal understand this simple fact. I personally think the game a couple of weeks ago against the Cards was the turning point for both the Cards and the Pirates. Hurdle didn't do everything he could to win that game and the rest is history.
Ecbucs

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by Ecbucs »

5B434146465140475A5B4D280 wrote: Ever since the Clay Holmes debacle a week ago the Pirates have now lost 5 in a row and 6 of their last 7 overall. Not saying this is the main reason for this current losing streak they are in but it sure didn’t help things and Hurdle giving both pitchers and his hitters extra rest has done NOTHING for this team at all. So now at 61–62 with 39 games remaining and just about 7 games out of the wildcard Hurdle pretty soon can rest all the guys he wants in September. I’m being dead serious about this too. If this team is out of it in September which they most likely will be I’m shutting Taillon down, Musgrove down, and anybody else who looks like they can be in the rotation next year. You were obsessed with your rest Clint well don’t worry your players and especially pitchers will get plenty of it come September. I absolutely hate the way this team is managed and I desperately hope somehow someway they do a complete and total overhaul of the entire coaching staff because I think it’s time for a change. Clint and this staff need to go.

I think you are exactly right one game can make or break a season, especially this late in the season.  The Clay Holmes thing should have been enough to get CH fired if NH was a competent GM in fact he may have helped in the decision.  Not putting your very best on the field for the game today is just unacceptable.   Today you can't worry about what's going to happen tomorrow, you have to win today.  One game can change a season and this is a good example of it.  Hurdle should go 200% to win today's game, if he doesn't there won't be a tomorrow for this team, to hell with what happens tomorrow, this game today is what counts today.  I don't think him or Neal understand this simple fact.  I personally think the game a couple of weeks ago against the Cards was the turning point for both the Cards and the Pirates.  Hurdle didn't do everything he could to win that game and the rest is history.

the thing about starting Clay Holmes and the reason it won't get Clint fired is that NH and the analytics staff said to do it. So really all of them need to go.
Bobster21

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

0B2D2C3B2D3D4E0 wrote: Ever since the Clay Holmes debacle a week ago the Pirates have now lost 5 in a row and 6 of their last 7 overall. Not saying this is the main reason for this current losing streak they are in but it sure didn’t help things and Hurdle giving both pitchers and his hitters extra rest has done NOTHING for this team at all. So now at 61–62 with 39 games remaining and just about 7 games out of the wildcard Hurdle pretty soon can rest all the guys he wants in September. I’m being dead serious about this too. If this team is out of it in September which they most likely will be I’m shutting Taillon down, Musgrove down, and anybody else who looks like they can be in the rotation next year. You were obsessed with your rest Clint well don’t worry your players and especially pitchers will get plenty of it come September. I absolutely hate the way this team is managed and I desperately hope somehow someway they do a complete and total overhaul of the entire coaching staff because I think it’s time for a change. Clint and this staff need to go.

I think you are exactly right one game can make or break a season, especially this late in the season.  The Clay Holmes thing should have been enough to get CH fired if NH was a competent GM in fact he may have helped in the decision.  Not putting your very best on the field for the game today is just unacceptable.   Today you can't worry about what's going to happen tomorrow, you have to win today.  One game can change a season and this is a good example of it.  Hurdle should go 200% to win today's game, if he doesn't there won't be a tomorrow for this team, to hell with what happens tomorrow, this game today is what counts today.  I don't think him or Neal understand this simple fact.  I personally think the game a couple of weeks ago against the Cards was the turning point for both the Cards and the Pirates.  Hurdle didn't do everything he could to win that game and the rest is history.

the thing about starting Clay Holmes and the reason it won't get Clint fired is that NH and the analytics staff said to do it.  So really all of them need to go.
Yes, it's not as if Holmes was already on the team and Hurdle just decided to start him. NH had to make a roster move to recall him so Hurdle could start him so that they could play game they had no intention of trying to win. IMHO Hurdle is a horrible manager and NH is a bad GM. Quite a combination. Both employ everything except common sense. I feel sorry for the players. They display emotion and obviously want to win but their efforts are often scuttled by TBMTIB, who do not prioritize winning.
rucker59@gmail.com

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

So they rested the rotation to be fresh in September: and in doing so Hurdle and Huntington rendered the September games meaningless for all practical purposes.

I wonder what Hurdle and Huntington think now, when they look back and see just how stupid their decision was?
Bobster21

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

3C3B2D252B3C7B770E29232F2722602D21234E0 wrote: So they rested the rotation to be fresh in September: and in doing so Hurdle and Huntington rendered the September games meaningless for all practical purposes.

I wonder what Hurdle and Huntington think now, when they look back and see just how stupid their decision was?

I really don't think they get it. It was not one isolated stupid decision. It's how they operate. How many times has Hurdle put out an inferior lineup resting hot players in key games because he just wants to rest them regardless of the effect it has on their ability to win that game? He's done this for years. So I'm sure NH is onboard with it. And then there was the last game before the AS break when he rewarded the hard work his team did to come back from a 3-run deficit in the 8th by resting the BP the day before the 4-day break and using Tanner Anderson in the 10th. It had to be deflating to the players to watch Anderson immediately get scored upon but they came back and won anyway despite Hurdle. Winning the game at hand is always secondary to resting the players for later. I don't think NH and CH regret starting Holmes at all. They've made it abundantly clear that winning is not the goal. It should be but it isn't. They seem to believe they are smarter than everyone else and therefore their methods cannot be understood by fans or media. But they do these things so often that it's obvious they have no regrets. And as we think about next year and look for signs that the team can be more competitive, the question remains, 'how can the players overcome the counterproductive policies of a management team that does not prioritize winning'?