2021 Baseball HOF Ballots

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

467569686B635568736F7473626E69070 wrote: Joe Posnanski at The Athletic (beware: paywall) is doing a series on the 100 best players not in the Hall of Fame. Nos. 100-91:

100. Juan Gonzalez

99. Fred Lynn

98. Rocky Colavito

97. Albert Belle

96. Jimmy Sheckard

95. Quincy Trouppe

94. Fernando

93. Darrell Evans

92. Steve Garvey

91. Dave Parker

Under a "would I buy a ticket to see this guy" standard, I'd probably put Parker in the top half of that list, after Fernando and pretty close to Belle and Lynn. 

I will be interested to see how the list goes along. Once the list is complete then I will post my "would buy a ticket to see this guy". And I might also list the ones on the list that I have actually seen play.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Players who actually....played.  I like the concept!  :)

I'm taking 100 Guys Whom BOB Nutting Would Never Pay For in a Million Years for $400, Alex.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Here's 90-71, which is as far as he's gotten:

90. Frank Howard

89. Al Oliver

88. Willie Randolph

87. Lance Berkman

86. Paul Hines

85. Ron Guidry

84. Wally Berger

83. Doc Gooden

82. Elston Howard

81. Orel Hershiser

80. Will Clark

79. Urban Shocker

78. Jorge Posada

77. Pete Browning

76. Bobby Bobds

75. Tim Hudson

74. Lefty O'Doul

73. Jimmy Wynn

72. John Olerud

71. Buddy Bell

I think of Parker and Oliver about as close as Posnanski has them here. I'm pretty sure that Oliver would have won several Gold Gloves at first if he had played there fulltime. There was a five-year gap between Wes Parker and Keith Hernandez where Garvey took control of the award, and I'm certain young Oliver was a better first baseman than Garvey. Come to think of it, so was Bob Robertson before his knees went.

ArnoldRothstein

Two things Posnanski said about criteria:

"I’m only talking about players who have been retired for more than five years"; and,

"I am ranking them in the order that I would vote them into the Hall of Fame."
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

Parker killed his chances with his very ordinary run from 80-84. Really was just an ok player after 1979, since he became so one dimensional. I dont think many people consider Andrew McCutchen a HOFer, but similar career to Parker. McCutchen is probably the better of the two actually.
ArnoldRothstein

70. Smoky Joe Wood

69(t). Omar Vizquel, Dave Concepcion, Bert Campaneris, Mark Belanger

68. Torii Hunter

67. Dan Quisenberry

66. Dick Lundy

65. Charlie Keller

64. Andy Pettitte

63. Mark Buehrle

62.  Jack Glasscock

61. Roger Maris

I didn't know that Jack Glasscock played for the Pirates 1893-94 toward the end of his career. 

I'm going to stop listing these now. The initial Parker/Oliver thing caught my eye, but the four way tie at No. 69 indicates that Posnanski is just screwing around,as he often does. 

Pirates who might belong in the 100 best outside of the Hall of Fame might include Babe Adams, Wilbur Cooper, and Tommy Leach, and Bob Elliott, who was about half a Pirate.
ArnoldRothstein

...in the latter group Dick Allen, Tony Oliva, and Maury Wills have received support in the past and are 78 or older.  I'd hate to see one of them die because the Hall didn't want to do a videoconference.

And there goes Allen, RIP at 78.

Jeez: Allen missed by one vote (11 of 16) getting inducted in 2015. They then screwed around with these new committees, and then postponed this year's vote instead of doing a conference call. He would have had a new vote yesterday.
Javy

Post by Javy »

What a hitter he was. His power alone was breathtaking. I saw him hit a homerun OVER the coke sign atop the left center field bleachers at Connie Mack. For those not familiar with CMS, that would be like hitting one out in right center at Forbes, which was quite poke.

If he would have had a more supportive manager and coaching staff, he could have done even more in Phila. than he did, and maybe would have stayed. Simply, Gene Mauch and Bob Skinner had no time for him after his fight with Frank Thomas in '64.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Rumor has it in Wampum, Pa his hometown that while he was in high school there he was able to dunk a basketball in a special way. He would stand on the baseline under the backboard and leap out and up and throw down the backward slam dunk. He was a special ballplayer and I was glad when the Phillies, Cards, and the Dodgers came to town so that I could see him play.
Javy

Post by Javy »

And there we have it.

Not surprising, but no one secured the required 75% to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Schilling was the top vote getter with just over 71%

Bonds and Clemens were at about 61 & 60% respectively, and Scott Rolen was 4th at ~55%.

Schilling, Bonds and Clemens will now head into their 10th and final year on the writers ballot.

14 Blank ballots were turned in.