Derek Dietrich Designated

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think Dietrich would have been a nice bench piece for the Pirates.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

353938636A636B66617E64530 wrote: I think Dietrich would have been a nice bench piece for the Pirates.

luckily we got Melky but Dietrich was less risky and better.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Good call on this well we lost one game already thanks to Dietrich.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

Our front office are a bunch of clowns. Chisenhall has consistently been hurt for the majority of his career and guess what happened already? Surprise. DL stint. It wasn't his fault, I get that. But some guys are just prone. Again, Dietrich would have been a better get. Closer to last place each day. :(
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

2826232A3C352A2A4F0 wrote: Our front office are a bunch of clowns.  Chisenhall has consistently been hurt for the majority of his career and guess what happened already?  Surprise.  DL stint.  It wasn't his fault, I get that.  But some guys are just prone.  Again, Dietrich would have been a better get.  Closer to last place each day. :(
I totally agree with you. Dietrich hit 16 homers last year. We need guys who can hit the long ball.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

737F7E252C252D20273822150 wrote: Our front office are a bunch of clowns.  Chisenhall has consistently been hurt for the majority of his career and guess what happened already?  Surprise.  DL stint.  It wasn't his fault, I get that.  But some guys are just prone.  Again, Dietrich would have been a better get.  Closer to last place each day. :(
I totally agree with you. Dietrich hit 16 homers last year. We need guys who can hit the long ball.
I realize that NH works under the extreme financial limitations placed on him by Nutting. That's exactly why the Pirates need a very shrewd GM who will at least get the most out of what limited resources he has. But too often, he seems content to find warm bodies. I realize his job must be frustrating when he can't afford even market level contracts. But he just seems to phone it in and settle for whatever he can find on the bargain shelf. And Nutting is satisfied because he gave him an extension last year. So NH doesn't have to try any harder.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: Our front office are a bunch of clowns.  Chisenhall has consistently been hurt for the majority of his career and guess what happened already?  Surprise.  DL stint.  It wasn't his fault, I get that.  But some guys are just prone.  Again, Dietrich would have been a better get.  Closer to last place each day. :(
I realize that NH works under the extreme financial limitations placed on him by Nutting. That's exactly why the Pirates need a very shrewd GM who will at least get the most out of what limited resources he has. But too often, he seems content to find warm bodies. I realize his job must be frustrating when he can't afford even market level contracts. But he just seems to phone it in and settle for whatever he can find on the bargain shelf. And Nutting is satisfied because he gave him an extension last year. So NH doesn't have to try any harder. 

Who? I want a name of who that is.

Like it or not, Neal is that guy.

Dietrich is the epitome of bargain shelf.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Dietrich hit his tenth homer today. I understand he hit several of them in the small dimension ballpark of the Reds, and he was the reason for the brawl with the Bucs a few weeks ago, but the Reds got a bargain when they signed him. Sure would have been nice if the Pirates had him on their bench with all the injuries they have occurred.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A76772C252C24292E312B1C0 wrote: Hate to beat a dead horse, but Dietrich hit his tenth homer today. I understand he hit several of them in the small dimension ballpark of the Reds, and he was the reason for the brawl with the Bucs a few weeks ago, but the Reds got a bargain when they signed him. Sure would have been nice if the Pirates had him  on their bench with all the injuries they have occurred.

I had written above that Dietrich was less risky and better than Melky. I don't think the Bucs would have signed both of them. The way Melky has turned it, the Bucs made a good choice.

I think the Bucs believe (and are correct) that Chisenhall is at least average defensively and that was a reason they wanted him first. I'm not happy about a lot of moves and non-moves the Bucs make but I think they did okay here.

The Reds made a good move in getting him and getting him cheap.